Michael Musto | New York | News

Michael Musto Has Some Advice for Former Party Pal and Convicted Murderer Michael Alig

Musto_alig

In an open letter published on the website scene, NYC nightlife and gossip icon Michael Musto has a few words for recently-sprung, convicted murderer and 'Party Monster' Michael Alig:

You not only killed Angel, you basically murdered nightlife because, as Mayor Giuliani kept looking for ways to crack down on clubs so they became safe for tourists and community boards, you gave him every reason to put further restraints and make going out an exercise in constantly looking back to see who’s watching your every move. In fact, you made it very uncool to go out at all, especially dressed with any flamboyance, because the association was with a hateful, grisly act of violence that was substance-fueled and totally demented. It was years until people were able to dress up and laugh again, and if you find the nightlife still a little too restrained when you reenter it, you mainly have yourself to blame!

But your other immediate actions are what concern people since you’re now able to pursue an actual future as the alternately dreaded and appreciated-despite-it-a Michael Alig. I’d actually like to get together and have a talk since I’m no hypocrite—I followed your every move all those years, put my name on your invites, and defended the club kids’ sense of cathartic liberation on various talk shows, in between criticizing you when you went too far or behaved too crudely. I was sort of the elder statesman of the group—someone who was privy to everything going on and was free to lash out in print about it since, as I constantly told my lawyer, “Don’t worry, Alig will never sue. He loves the press—any press.”

And I still have fond memories of the fun, the frolics, the outrageousness and the kick in the pants you regularly gave to society’s complacence and bad taste. You didn’t get on the cover of New York magazine early on for nothing; you represented the new wave in nightlife and the dramatic possibilities that were bringing a jolt to the mwah-mwah world of polite clubbing. You shook all that up, but then you screwed it up by abusing your freedoms, forgetting your guidelines, and thinking you were above the law and beyond human decency.

Read Musto's full letter of advice here.

Comments

1. I thank god these days that I've long since moved beyond all this nonsense and I don't feel the need to look that time period as some kind of glory days. I'd rather spend time happily at home with my family.

Posted by: Hrm | May 9, 2014 11:32:30 AM

2. Actually Musto's articles on New York Nightlife didn't help either...

Posted by: styler | May 9, 2014 11:46:34 AM

3. He sounds like countless of celebs! This could be an open letter to Gaga!

Posted by: Rowan | May 9, 2014 11:47:42 AM

4. One more piece of advice to Alig: Don't kill anyone.

Posted by: Ken | May 9, 2014 11:51:31 AM

5. But of course Musto would say this...He has a book to promote...coincidence???...

Posted by: styler | May 9, 2014 12:01:10 PM

6. What's a michael alig and who are those old men?

Posted by: Tristram | May 9, 2014 12:02:33 PM

7. sounds like guiliani didn't have to look too far for excuses to clamp down

Posted by: Tristram | May 9, 2014 12:04:47 PM

8. Musto is being way too kind.

Posted by: Russ | May 9, 2014 12:11:49 PM

9. Love Musto!

Posted by: Still | May 9, 2014 12:22:52 PM

10. Didn't Towleroad run this weeks ago?

Posted by: JimmyD | May 9, 2014 12:51:57 PM

11. I'm sure Michael Musto's panties are soggy-wet at the idea that he might nail the first post-release, in-depth interview with Michael Alig.

Yes, Michael #1 and Michael #2 deserve each other. The former, for promoting with glee, shall we say, the doings of the latter during the latter's heyday as the Clown Princess of the Club Kids.

My memories of those times are pretty bleak, actually. Michael Alig was a mess: petty, cruel, vindictive, unpleasantly, sloppily drugged-up, and probably the most mirthless, unfun, unfunny wretch of all the mirthless wretches that populated that scene.

At one point in the Limelight at one of Alig's parties I realized it was time to hang it up. It was obvious even then that Alig was slowly killing whatever real fun could still be had in NYC at Nite.

Yet, there was Michael #1 lathering over Michael #2 as #2 slowly, inexorably took the whole concept of NYC nite-life and flushed it down the K-hole of his drug-addled ambitions.

Of course, let us never, ever forget as to why Michael Alig was in prison for 17 years. He mercilessly murdered a sweet young man, Andre Melendez, in the most heinous of ways, BRAGGED about it and showed no remorse when he was finally nabbed for his crime and continues to show no remorse for his crime 17 years later.

Alig should have gotten life without parole or, in my opinion, the ultimate party favor, the death penalty. It wasn't the drugs that caused Michael Alig to kill Andre Melendez. It was Michael Alig himself, his wretched, self-absorbed, immoral, ruthless self, that killed Andre.

Here's MY hot tip to Alig as to what he should do, post-prison. Lay very, very, very low. There are a LOT of people who have NOT forgotten NOR forgiven Alig for what he did to Melendez and they were pissed when Alig got that lenient sentence then and they are pissed that Alig is out now. VERY, VERY, PISSED.

An even better suggestion would be that Alig just get the f*ck out of NYC all together. Move back to Indiana or whatever godforsaken place he was spawned from.

You are NOT welcome here, Michael Alig. This city does not want nor does it need you in any way, shape or form, at all.

You would be better off moving as far away as possible from NYC. Really far away. Like, maybe, moving to China far away.

Posted by: jamal49 | May 9, 2014 1:40:14 PM

12. World of Wonder entertainment has rolled out the red carpet for Alig

Posted by: Moz's | May 9, 2014 2:10:44 PM

13. You not only killed Angel, you basically murdered nightlife

What a soulless, amoral freak Michale Musto is. Who writes a sentence like this? How about "You not only stabbed your mother to death, but you got blood all over the carpet!"

"In fact, you made it very uncool to go out at all"

No, honestly nobody knows who Michael Alig is. They certainly didn't form their feelings about going out bssed on this guy.

Posted by: Tyler | May 9, 2014 2:21:20 PM

14. Hmmm, I'm guessing since he didn't put an (NY) at the end of his name, the Tyler above is Rick impersonating me again.

Rick feels so strongly about this that he he has to use my name to express his ideas.

Posted by: Tyler | May 9, 2014 2:29:22 PM

15. @ the real TYLER,

I thought there was something peculiar about that first posting under your posting name. It was so crazy that I couldn't understand what the fvck it was saying, but I knew it wasn't the real TYLER.

Rick, I used to joke about you being at Belleview Mental Hospital--but where else do you belong?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 9, 2014 6:04:20 PM

16. It's "Bellevue" NOT "Belleview" hospital in New York City.

But it doesn't matter. No one needs the correct name and address. We AINT sending Rick any flowers. Nope.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 9, 2014 6:09:07 PM

17. Musto often makes me laugh when I see him, but....well, he makes me laugh. That's all.

One drugged-up drug dealer killed another drugged-up drug dealer in a dust-up over a drug debt. Twenty (20) years ago.

The significance of that to contemporary society is just about nil. Yawn. Party on.

Posted by: Lime Lite | May 9, 2014 7:05:53 PM

18. Once again the lack of commenter ID here at this otherwise great site strikes again with commenter confusion. For Christ's sake why doesn't TR get a modern functioning comment system?

Posted by: emjayay | May 12, 2014 4:36:42 PM