News: Hodor, Giovanni's Room, John Travolta, Boy Scouts, Cannes

RoadMike Huckabee to speak at NOM's 'March for Marriage' on June 19. Who will be listening?

HodorRoadIf you buy a ticket to a basketball game, hope that it's not behind Hodor.

RoadJohn Travolta has a chin muff.

RoadPlaywright Del Shores was suspended from posting on Facebook for 30 days for some reason.

RoadPhiladelphia mayor to wed gay couples: "Hennessy says they moved up their wedding to be married Friday by Mayor Michael Nutter. She says you don't say no when the mayor calls. Hennessy and Keith are among the 18 couples who got same-sex marriage licenses Tuesday, hours after a judge lifted a state ban."

RoadElton John issues call to action on AIDS as Normal Heart debuts.

RoadBoy Scouts of America, who appointed former Defense Secretary Robert Gates as interim President last October, have officially confirmed him: "As head of the organization's executive board, Gates will become one of Scouting's most public figures at a pivotal time in its history."

CRoadonchita Wurst is at Cannes and she's sparkling!

RoadFirst Star Wars spin-off film planned for December 2016 release.

GiovannisroomRoadThe last day at Philadelphia's LGBT bookstore Giovanni's Room: "A few days before the store's planned final day of business, says Hermance, he was contacted by a new potential ownership group. They'd seen, he says, the outpouring of past customers' memories – from Philadelphia and beyond – and inquired about taking over the business. A decision on the future of Giovanni's Room could happen in June. But whether or not it will amount to a stay of execution is unclear."

RoadGay rights now becoming wedge issue for Democrats to wield.

RoadUrban male stripper film Chocolate City in the works, and in negotiations with Tyson Beckford and Michael Jai White.

RoadGlenn Greenwald and Edward Snowden snapped a selfie together.

RoadCharlie Sheen and Rihanna are having a feud. "Apparently he and his fiancée were out for dinner the other night and asked to have their photo taken with her and she blew them off."

RoadDancing with the Stars pros Maksim and Valentin Chmerkovskiy get very undressed for People magazine.

DolanRoadXavier Dolan in running for Cannes victory.

RoadVegas and Cincinnati no longer in the running for the 2016 GOP convention.

RoadPlease don't actually go to Manhattan's first Dairy Queen: "In summation: There is no justifiable reason to go to a DQ Grill & Chill in New York. Not when the Manhattan location opens next week and not ever anytime after that. Doing so means you're supporting a massive fast-food chain owned by Warren Buffet's company instead of any of the better independent shops around New York. It also misses the entire point of living in New York in the first place."

RoadCulture Club to reunite on December 12.

RoadACT UP activist Peter Staley talks condoms, Truvada, and HIV prevention: "I’m disgusted by the anti-PrEP rhetoric. And if that rhetoric had won the day, we would be completely lost in this fight. It remains so anti-science—including Larry [Kramer]’s comment, calling Truvada poison—and should be called out as such. I think we’re winning now. The anti-PrEP side sounds so hysterical that I really think we’re beginning to at least win the argument with the AIDs establishment, the medical community, and government policy—and in our online debates. But I still remain very skeptical that we’re going to break through HIV stigma."

Comments

1. Well I hadn't planned on it before, but I think I might actually go out of my way to visit DQ now purely to spite the stuck-so-far-up-their-own-ass lefty Manhattanites like this whom it irritates so much. Oh noes, a chain store owned by a ciswhite hetero ableist privileged oppressor that isn't even run by a Palestinian vegan lesbian separatist coven!

Posted by: Blake | May 23, 2014 3:11:35 PM

2. nice cum catcher on JT

Posted by: Smuggy | May 23, 2014 3:11:40 PM

3. Well I hadn't planned on it before, but I think I might actually go out of my way to visit DQ now purely to spite the stuck-so-far-up-their-own-ass lefty Manhattanites like this whom it irritates so much. Oh noes, a chain store owned by a ciswhite hetero ableist privileged oppressor that isn't even run by a Palestinian vegan lesbian separatist coven!

Posted by: Blake | May 23, 2014 3:11:42 PM

4. nice cum catcher on JT

Posted by: Smuggy | May 23, 2014 3:11:55 PM

5. nice cum catcher on JT

Posted by: Smuggy | May 23, 2014 3:11:56 PM

6. Well I hadn't planned on it before, but I think I might actually go out of my way to visit DQ now purely to spite the stuck-so-far-up-their-own-ass lefty Manhattanites like this whom it irritates so much. Oh noes, a chain store owned by a ciswhite hetero ableist privileged oppressor that isn't even run by a Palestinian vegan lesbian separatist coven!

Posted by: Blake | May 23, 2014 3:12:05 PM

7. nice cum catcher on JT

Posted by: Smuggy | May 23, 2014 3:12:05 PM

8. nice cum catcher on JT

Posted by: Smuggy | May 23, 2014 3:12:06 PM

9. nice cum catcher on JT

Posted by: Smuggy | May 23, 2014 3:12:06 PM

10. Well I hadn't planned on it before, but I think I might actually go out of my way to visit DQ now purely to spite the stuck-so-far-up-their-own-arse lefty Manhattanites like this whom it irritates so much. Oh noes, a chain store owned by a ciswhite hetero ableist privileged oppressor that isn't even run by a Palestinian vegan lesbian separatist coven!

Posted by: Blake | May 23, 2014 3:12:22 PM

11. Well I hadn't planned on it before, but I think I might actually go out of my way to visit DQ now purely to spite the stuck-so-far-up-their-own-arse lefty Manhattanites like this whom it irritates so much. Oh noes, a chain store owned by a ciswhite hetero ableist privileged oppressor that isn't even run by a Palestinian vegan lesbian separatist coven!

Posted by: Blake | May 23, 2014 3:12:29 PM

12. I'm so in love with Xavier Dolan it's ridiculous. *bisous*

as for Huckabee - yay, the piggotty-biggotty nitwit with the dog-torturing-and-killing Son will speak about "values"

right. lovely.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 23, 2014 3:12:58 PM

13. As I said a few weeks ago, Giovanni's Room was a life source for many Gay Philadelphians. I'll always be grateful to Ed Hermance and Joseph Beam.

...wish I'd have done more with my life though. But everybody can't be a Lee Daniels.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 23, 2014 3:17:06 PM

14. I'm trying to imagine Bill Gates as Secretary of Defense. That would be kinda awesome.

Posted by: Scot Colford | May 23, 2014 3:26:27 PM

15. I'm trying to imagine Bill Gates as Secretary of Defense. That would be kinda awesome.

Posted by: Scot Colford | May 23, 2014 3:27:06 PM

16. I believe it's ROBERT Gates who's heading the Boy Scouts and not BILL Gates.

Posted by: Dan Mc. | May 23, 2014 3:31:00 PM

17. RE Peter Staley: I'm with Larry Kramer. There's not a drug out there that doesn't lose its effectiveness over time. Plus, I don't even want to think about all the guys who will forget to take Truvada because they're drunk or stoned or "caught up in the moment", or just plain forgetful. Finally, Truvada is not a protection against all STDs; condoms ain't perfect, but they don't f*ck with your body chemistry and they're a better bet.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | May 23, 2014 3:32:08 PM

18. RE Peter Staley: I'm with Larry Kramer. There's not a drug out there that doesn't lose its effectiveness over time. Plus, I don't even want to think about all the guys who will forget to take Truvada because they're drunk or stoned or "caught up in the moment", or just plain forgetful. Finally, Truvada is not a protection against all STDs; condoms ain't perfect, but they don't f*ck with your body chemistry and they're a better bet.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | May 23, 2014 3:32:17 PM

19. RE Peter Staley: I'm with Larry Kramer. There's not a drug out there that doesn't lose its effectiveness over time. Plus, I don't even want to think about all the guys who will forget to take Truvada because they're drunk or stoned or "caught up in the moment", or just plain forgetful. Finally, Truvada is not a protection against all STDs; condoms ain't perfect, but they don't f*ck with your body chemistry and they're a better bet.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | May 23, 2014 3:32:36 PM

20. RE Peter Staley: I'm with Larry Kramer. There's not a drug out there that doesn't lose its effectiveness over time. Plus, I don't even want to think about all the guys who will forget to take Truvada because they're drunk or stoned or "caught up in the moment", or just plain forgetful. Finally, Truvada is not a protection against all STDs; condoms ain't perfect, but they don't f*ck with your body chemistry and they're a better bet.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | May 23, 2014 3:32:37 PM

21. RE Peter Staley: I'm with Larry Kramer. There's not a drug out there that doesn't lose its effectiveness over time. Plus, I don't even want to think about all the guys who will forget to take Truvada because they're drunk or stoned or "caught up in the moment", or just plain forgetful. Finally, Truvada is not a protection against all STDs; condoms ain't perfect, but they don't f*ck with your body chemistry and they're a better bet.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | May 23, 2014 3:32:38 PM

22. RE Peter Staley: I'm with Larry Kramer. There's not a drug out there that doesn't lose its effectiveness over time. Plus, I don't even want to think about all the guys who will forget to take Truvada because they're drunk or stoned or "caught up in the moment", or just plain forgetful. Finally, Truvada is not a protection against all STDs; condoms ain't perfect, but they don't f*ck with your body chemistry and they're a better bet.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | May 23, 2014 3:32:40 PM

23. Sorry to see one of the few remaining independent bookstores (gay-oriented or not) close.

I am glad that being for gay rights and the gay community is no longer a political liability and could even be an asset. But I hope Democratic candidates have something else to offer the electorate than just support of gay marriage, particularly in terms the economy and jobs, which most people are far more concerned about. In the way that Republicans have alienated many people by the emphasis on social conservatism while doing nothing about the economy (other than obstructing progressive initiatives), Democrats could turn off a lot of people, including me, if their rhetoric is limited to gay marriage and other social-cultural issues.

Posted by: MichaelJ | May 23, 2014 3:45:44 PM

24. Apparently Huckleberry is not doing well. He has to scrape the bottom of barrel to speak at a NOM's rally. Most successful ex-politicians made a lot of money from speaking fees. e.g. Bill Clinton make more than 13 millions from speaking fees in 2011. It costs $189000 per speech.

Posted by: simon | May 23, 2014 4:10:16 PM

25. Apparently Huckleberry is not doing well. He has to scrape the bottom of barrel to speak at a NOM's rally. Most successful ex-politicians made a lot of money from speaking fees. e.g. Bill Clinton make more than 13 millions from speaking fees in 2011. It costs $189000 per speech.

Posted by: simon | May 23, 2014 4:10:30 PM