Carnie Wilson | Gay Slurs | Television | Transgender

Singer Carnie Wilson Apologizes For Calling Donald Sterling's Girlfriend 'A Man'

Carnie

Former Wilson-Phillips frontwoman Carnie Wilson has apologized for calling disgraced former Clippers owner Donald Sterling's girlfriend V. Stiviano “a man” and “a he” during Wilson’s appearance on CBS’ The Talk.

During the show, Wilson said "There's a lot of plastic surgery, then she's like, 'I'm his right-hand man.'Man. Am I crazy to think that? OK. Whatever."

Wilson later apologized after her appearance via Twitter stating "Today on @TheTalk_CBS I made a comment that was misunderstood about Donald Sterling's assistant. I LOVE EVERYONE- gay, straight, trans," and later "My heart feels heavy thinking that I offended some ppl saying that V looked like a man. Plz know I meant nothing ill or derogatory. Truth."

When The Advocate’s trans issues writer Parker Marie Molloy pressed Wilson for clarification on Twitter, Wilson answered, "I was really referring / To what the over plastic surgery had done to [Stiviano’s] face. No way, shape or form trying to offend the transgender community." Wilson added, "I’ve been bullied and ridiculed my ENTIRE life. I wouldn't want 2 hurt anyone."

Molloy noted however, that many other Twitter users have also used the transphobic slur "tranny" when describing Stiviano’s appearance.

Comments

1. In other news....Carnie Wilson is still relevant?

Posted by: Brian G | May 8, 2014 9:14:25 AM

2. I don't see how it was that offensive... Frankly, trans advocates should be careful about calling foul too many times. For PR purposes for their community, it doesn't look good.

Posted by: Scott | May 8, 2014 9:19:23 AM

3. Carnie is right. She does look mannish. I don't know if it's because of plastic surgery or not but the tell-tell signs say, yes.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 8, 2014 9:24:08 AM

4. wouldn't that be icing on the cake........ get to work tmz.....

Posted by: steve | May 8, 2014 9:36:54 AM

5. Tranny activists are their own worst enemies.

Is this ALL they have to whine about? Utter morons.

Saying a woman looks like a man is now transphobic is it?

Of course it isn't - if a woman has masculine features then people will think and say she looks like a man.

Just because so many trannies look like truckers in a dress, doesn't mean that everyone else has to modify their language to avoid tranny hysteria.

Why is this being reported on this site.

LGB and T needs to be split.

Tranny issues are not the same as Cissy issues (see what I did their - I used 2 slur words in 1 sentence).

Posted by: MaryM | May 8, 2014 9:42:28 AM

6. #muchadoaboutnothing. Wilson would've been much better off, and accurate, by just calling that paramour a gold-digging tramp.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | May 8, 2014 10:03:01 AM

7. My only comment is that we shouldn't be so quick to jump down the throats of people like Carnie Wilson without first sitting back and looking at everything that person has done. Carnie Wilson has always been a big supporter of the LGBT community. While I did not really find what she said offensive (and honestly thought the same thing myself), I accept others might. She apologized. She's a friend and we accept a friend's apology and move on. We can demand respect from people without alienating them. Some activists in the LGBT community need to think harder about productive ways to do that.

Posted by: Samwell | May 8, 2014 10:25:10 AM

8. It’s not okay to say that woman is a man in order to express your issues with who they are or what they’ve done. It’s also not okay to say that a woman who does not fit your largely mythological, Caucasoid beauty ideal is a man. (Boy, just dripping in privilege.)

Posted by: Carlie | May 8, 2014 10:38:48 AM

9. Ive thought the girlfriend was a tranny all along. it wouldn't surprise me at all...she just pings tranny

Posted by: Homo Genius | May 8, 2014 10:46:49 AM

10. @ "LGB and T needs to be split."

Oh, will you please shut the fvck up. You oughtta' be split...or better yet, quartered. Quartered into David Hearn, Homo Genius, Enchantra and Rick.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 8, 2014 10:49:07 AM

11. oh derrick...lets see someone says that a group that has nothing to do with us and doesn't have the same issues should create their own orgs and identity. And you suggest they should be cut into pieces. I think you have issues

Posted by: Homo Genius | May 8, 2014 10:58:47 AM

12. Carnie says she loves gays, straights, trans. Why did she leave out hermaphrodites? I'm offended. Such insensitivity.

Posted by: Paulette | May 8, 2014 11:02:01 AM

13. PS. Donald called and said tell Carnie the check is in the mail.

Posted by: Paulette | May 8, 2014 11:03:59 AM

14. @MARYM Sit down and shut up.

Thank you.

Posted by: jamal49 | May 8, 2014 11:23:42 AM

15. She looks like a train wreck and he looks like a giant venemous toad.

Posted by: Jack M | May 8, 2014 11:36:25 AM

16. It's funny how MaryM/Homo Genius/Paulette pretend to be separate commenters when their similarly-worded rants against Trans people make it so obvious that they're all just the same troll.

Posted by: Tyler | May 8, 2014 12:04:28 PM

17. Why is this tagged "GAY SLURS" when #1 there was no slur and #2 this has NOTHING to do with gays.

Posted by: Homo Genius | May 8, 2014 12:13:47 PM

18. Why does Homo Genius post as Homo Genius on this site when #1 he is actually Rick and #2 he HATES LGBT people?

Posted by: Tyler | May 8, 2014 12:16:53 PM

19. I think the real question here is why Andy won't update his commenting system to get rid of the bigoted trolls that dominate the conversations on Towleroad?

Posted by: JMC | May 8, 2014 12:37:31 PM

20. I think it's safe to say that transgender people find absolutely everything offensive.

Posted by: Ryan | May 8, 2014 12:54:38 PM

21. I don't think that V. Stiviano looks like a man. On the other hand, I don't think Donald Sterling looks like a man either. I think he looks like some sci-fi creature.

Posted by: ScottCA | May 8, 2014 1:11:19 PM

22. The real question is why they post so many tranny stories, the banner should be changed to "A Site with Transexual Tendencies"... but then some tranny activist is sure to find something about that to be offended by.

Posted by: Homo Genius | May 8, 2014 1:26:18 PM

23. But she does look like a man? WTF. You guys in the US need to chill. You have so many people getting killed or discriminated against who are LGBT, something we in the UK are strategically MILES ahead of you but you waste your time fussing about this??

Accuse her of being bitchy but not transphobic.

Geez, Erykah Badu just threw a gay slur the other day, Rihanna said gay people were going to hell on her twitter in response to a fan calling her a whore....but you guys say nothing.

I can't. Wow. Crazy selective outrage and logic.

The trans movement is now owning the LGBT movement in the US. Meh.

Posted by: Rowan | May 8, 2014 4:24:51 PM

24. People need to stop apologizing for things that are plainly not offensive.

Posted by: Randy | May 8, 2014 5:23:41 PM

25. This V Stiviano person is clearly not a man but she is obviously a whore.

Posted by: jarago | May 8, 2014 6:02:10 PM