Andrew Garfield | Chris Martin | Kiss | SNL

SNL Caps 'Spider-Man' Skit with 'Weird' Gay Kiss Between Chris Martin and Andrew Garfield: VIDEO

Martin_garfield

Gay panic provided the punchline on SNL last night in a sketch about Hollywood kiss scenes punctuated by a meeting of the lips between Coldplay's Chris Martin and Spider-Man actor Andrew Garfield to which they couldn't (at least to the camera) visibly commit.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Weird

Comments

1. I wonder if @nbc @nbcsnl and @andrewgarfeild would even consider doing a similar skit about an interracial kiss. No, of course they wouldn't. Because that would be wrong.

Posted by: Mike | May 4, 2014 1:09:18 PM

2. Gay panic is not the punchline. It would be a weird ending.

Posted by: Richard Harney | May 4, 2014 1:23:11 PM

3. Overreaction. It wasn't much of a punchline but it also had nothing to do with "gay panic" since one of these characters thought nothing of the same-sex smooch (Martin) and the other, rather than "panicking," quickly embraced the kiss. If anything, the point was that two men could be a better kissing fit than a man and a woman.

Posted by: chris | May 4, 2014 1:34:12 PM

4. Oh, so funny. It's just so funny. I feel like I'm dying over here from the laughter. /sarcasm

Posted by: Robert | May 4, 2014 2:02:27 PM

5. Really Chris? I got the impression that part of the skit was a surprise to Garfield and he seemed utterly not game for it, hence the turning away from the camera.

Posted by: BGKev | May 4, 2014 2:03:54 PM

6. The message to young people and the comedy punchline for so many SNL skits: Gays are weird but funny.

Posted by: Newton | May 4, 2014 2:19:49 PM

7. Anybody need a stunt double?

Posted by: Chocolate City | May 4, 2014 3:01:10 PM

8. Regarding "weird", I felt a similar reaction to Obama's joke at the White House Correspondents' Dinner last night where he used the word "weird" to describe male Fox News hosts' obsession with Putin's bare chest.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 4, 2014 3:17:41 PM

9. I really don't think homophobia played a role. We shouldn't be so quick to vilify

Posted by: JP | May 4, 2014 4:17:33 PM

10. Sorry but I didn't find it funny at all. In fact, I found it offensive that they are portraying two men kissing as something that should be looked at as uncomfortable and funny.

Posted by: crazycorgi | May 4, 2014 5:15:11 PM

11. @JP: to add to that, I don't think it is homophobic for a straight guy to feel uncomfortable kissing a guy, as opposed to reacting badly upon seeing two gay guys kissing.

@Mike: of course they wouldn't do such a skit about an interracial kiss - the first one on TV as I recalled was part of the original Star Trek series in the 1960s, giving people several decades to get used to the idea.

Posted by: Bill | May 4, 2014 5:16:28 PM

12. I guess they were striving for "edgy", but all they got was "lame". Besides that, the audience was obviously confused by the skit judging from the various interpretations expressed here in the comments.

I'm still amazed at how far SNL has fallen since its glory days. They have a big budget stable of writers who only have to come up with a few bits a week, yet most are pointless or just plain stupid. Even the "Weekend Update" portion falls short of the political satire we see on late night monologues & John Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

NBC ought to clean house or just give up on the show entirely.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | May 4, 2014 6:07:50 PM

13. JonnyNY...couldn't agree with you more. I used to laugh till it hurt watching SNL...and now I just can't even waste my time waiting for a skit that even tickles a little...so I don't watch it.

Posted by: Paul B. | May 4, 2014 6:23:06 PM

14. Gay panic? Where?

I think the ending was what's "weird", not the kiss. Wouldn't you think it would be weird if a guy wearing a blonde wig forced Spiderman to kiss him?

Not like I would see the movie either way.

Posted by: brian | May 4, 2014 6:41:50 PM

15. This is what the LGBT community is resorting to bitching about?

Unless I somehow got the wrong video, Andrew had his arms flailing in the air as if it was some rockin kiss.

Don't say trans! Don't say she-mail! Don't go to a dating site unless they give us 20,000 different options to identify ourselves!

If being gay was a choice, I might choose to not be part of a community that can't find something better to complain about. I mean, come on guys, just last week there was an article about this Coldplay guy saying Harry Stiles basically made him question his sexuality.

Posted by: Michael | May 4, 2014 7:24:11 PM

16. Gay panic? No.

Posted by: daws | May 4, 2014 9:28:45 PM

17. I'd kiss Chris Martin anytime, anyplace, wig not needed...

Posted by: JSB | May 5, 2014 12:05:00 AM

18. Mike, they did a skit during the Weekend Update about how a black woman would be valued if she had been alive during slavery, so I don't think that they would have a problem with doing this same skit with an interracial couple.

Posted by: Cadence | May 5, 2014 12:51:29 AM

19. I'm going to watch Spiderman tonight then come home and masturbate.

Posted by: Kissyfur | May 5, 2014 1:11:38 AM

20. It didn't strike me as funny, but I would really like to have switched places with Andrew Garfield. Lucky sod.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | May 5, 2014 6:47:57 AM

21. Gay panic? Yes...and no

I am surprised to see so many people only focusing in on the blatant and obvious. Does the content itself specifically and intentionally try to equate "Gay" with "Weird"? No, I don't think so anyway. However, when we scale back and just look at the bigger picture, we have an INCREDIBLY easy-to-digest image. "2 dudes Kiss" + "uncomfortable face" = Weird. That is all the American public needs. We are a country that loves a sound bite. This type of imagery is helps continue the image of "Gay is not REALLY ok." There are many other "weird" options I'm sure the writers could have chosen but they didn't. But one of the problems is the unintended consequences. For example, the general notion from the mainstream film industry that never does a "Romance Film" where the lead character is LGBT...AND OUT. By that I mean a film where the focus is on the meeting of two people who immediately or eventually fall in love and NOT on the struggle of coming out, or AIDS or bullying. While those are very good topics that should continue to be addressed, they are not "Romance." Now, this doesn't mean that Julia Roberts and Richard Gere are "anti-gay" because they did a lovely film where two straight people fall in love (Pretty woman), but it is just another film that helps to reinforce Heteronormativity. There in lines my objection, Heternormativity is the new "Eww, Faggots." Its not "Gay Panic" its "other-ism" which is also a great hindrance to any fight for true equality.

Posted by: William Davis | May 5, 2014 7:37:31 AM