News | Stephen Colbert

The Daily Show’s ‘Senior Black Correspondent’ Larry Wilmore to Replace Stephen Colbert

Larry wilmore2Comedy Central has tapped Larry Wilmore to take over The Colbert Report’s time slot after Stephen Colbert leaves at the end of the year to begin hosting The Late Show.

Via The Hollywood Reporter:

The 52-year-old writer-actor, who has been with Comedy Central's The Daily Show as its "Senior Black Correspondent" since 2006, will get the 11:30 p.m. half-hour beginning in January. A twist on the former occupant's title, the show is called The Minority Report With Larry Wilmore.

Said Wilmore:

“I’m beyond excited to have this chance to continue my relationships with Comedy Central and the brilliant Jon Stewart," said Wilmore. "I love the city of New York and promise to only wear my Laker t-shirts when I’m layering.”

Comments

1. good move. great bob newhartish deadpan humorist.

Posted by: woody | May 10, 2014 7:11:32 PM

2. I can't watch this guy since he was Mr. Forristal on Happy Endings. The food-on-the-face thing. Nope, no thanks.

Posted by: Quicksilver | May 10, 2014 7:44:23 PM

3. I don't know him that well. I haven't watched the Daily Show for a few years since I cancelled my cable, and I guess he didn't make a really big impression on me. I do like "The Minority Report" as a title. It sounds like it will be good.

Posted by: Neil | May 10, 2014 11:30:28 PM

4. omg he is like the most boring correspondent on The Daily Show, wtf?

Posted by: JMC | May 11, 2014 4:09:20 AM

5. @JMC like totally...

Posted by: Derek | May 11, 2014 12:09:24 PM

6. It's impossible to replace Colbert, he is incredible.

Good luck to Mr. Wilmore though, those are some massive shoes to fill.

Posted by: Thomas | May 11, 2014 1:19:22 PM

7. NO.

Samantha Bee should have had this.

Posted by: Jerry | May 11, 2014 6:29:11 PM

8. I'm with Jerry, and only hope that she was offered it and turned it down because she's focusing on her family. Larry is funny, no doubt, but Sam is hilarious.

Posted by: Paul R | May 12, 2014 1:28:13 AM

9. Meh. He's OK, but lacks the overall personality strength that Colbert had. Lots of people could have delivered the lines he had on Daily Show and be funny, so I'm puzzled by this selection. I'd much rather see Rob Riggle or Jason Jones.

Or just Rob Riggle in camo underwear for 30 minutes. But that's another subject entirely.

Posted by: johnny | May 12, 2014 5:56:58 AM

10. Larry Wilmore is a funny guy but Samantha Bee should have gotten this job!!!

Posted by: Lucas | May 12, 2014 4:41:24 PM