Comments

1. Zell says

Larry Kramer is unpleasant. I feel the same way about him that I do about Glenn Greenwald–I basically agree with the message but not the way it’s delivered. I don’t even personally feel as though he’s very effective; “Will and Grace” did more for the cause than Kramer ever did.

And I know, I know, he’s a “hero.” Now he’s in the news claiming that Barbra Streisand finds gay sex “distasteful,” as though her private feelings are his business or anyone else’s. Way to put to rest the idea of the “gay mafia,” Larry. He’s self-important, shrill, angry, and everything that our enemies accuse us of being, and I wish he would go away.

2. david from canada says

The Normal Heart is a great start, but America won’t come to terms with the great injustices toward gays until years from now.
    A long time ago, I read a true story in a magazine about a gay man with AIDS in a hospital somewhere in America. He was bleeding, and a nurse threw a Kleenex at him and hissed, “Wipe it off yourself, faggot.” These dreadful instances were multiplied many times over. America really screwed up on this social issue and someday must face it.

3. iban4yesu says

Matt proves he can hack it, says SF Chronicle:

” With this single performance as Felix, Bomer handily demonstrates that he is so much more than a smooth pretty face. He begins as the Matt Bomer we know from “White Collar” – handsome, serene, seemingly unflappable. As his body shrinks and his eyes and cheekbones become sunken, we feel Felix working so hard to maintain that outer serenity, to mask the terror and growing hopelessness inside him. It is a performance of singular power and beautifully modulated complexity.”
    He’s a pretty dreamboat that could. Sigh!

4. John Normile says

Zell, Witout Mr. Kramer, Will and Grace would never have happened. You obviously never watched friends literally drop dead and the people who were supposed to care just say …nothing

5. says

I’m just thrilled that millions of people around the world are finally going to be introduced to this incendiary work of art.

This show is unparalleled in its ability to move audiences. I’ve seen it, live, more than a dozen times. And each time – being a part of the audience as we collectively just have our hearts touched and broken….it’s like nothing else. Thank God for this show, and for Larry Kramer.

6. Gary Bebout says

I agree with Kiwi. By point of direction, Matt Bomer looks over his shoulder too much in that clip. Many gays don’t like Kramer because he isn’t pretty. They prefer pretty messengers like “Will & Grace” and the cast of “The New Normal Normal.” Kramer is too real. AIDS was too real. If Murphy is true to Larry Kramer, this movie will be more important for Americans to see than the recent “gay kiss.” I think Barbra Streisand is probably correct. Americans probably share her view that the rest is “distasteful.”

7. will says

Mark Ruffalo seems incredibly suited to this role — he fits into it hand-in-glove and is alive and natural in a way that Julia Roberts will never be. Julia is actressy abd busy acting. Mark makes his character seem “lived-in”. Jim Parsons looks good, too.

8. anon says

If you love polemical theater then I guess you can say TNH is iconic, but there are so few plays about AIDS that the competition is slight. The HBO TV movie is about 15-20 years too late, mostly due to Kramer’s attitude about the production, and it’s getting mediocre reviews.

For left-leaning theater, iconic is

particularly in collaboration with

Will anyone remember TNH in 80 years??

9. gr8guyca says

When people watch, “Death of a Salesman,” do they wonder what kind of person Arthur Miller was? After “The Glass Menagerie,” do they ask if Tennessee Williams was a jerk?

“The Normal Heart” will live on beyond the life of Larry Kramer. What someone writes becomes, ultimately, more important than who they were.

So, don’t judge the play in terms of Larry Kramer, judge Larry Kramer in terms of the play.

10. will says

Being absolutely truthful, it doesn’t matter if your work “lives on” and if future audiences will “respond” — it’s a sentimental concept. The writers lives here and NOW and wants to make an impact on his times. When you’re dead and gone, what audiences respond to in 75 years is of no importance. Whether you’re remembered or forgotten after you’ve died is completley immaterial. You live and write for your time, this moment.

11. Houndentenor says

It’s absurd to speculate about what people 80 years from now will like or care about. We can’t know. Contemporary audiences are often write and just as often wrong. Things that are popular to one generation are corny to the next. Others have a new resonance (often not one anticipated by the creator) in later generations. Predicting that is impossible. As anyone who studies literary criticism or music history can give you dozens of examples.

12. David says

“Many gays don’t like Kramer because he isn’t pretty.” Wow! If true, it’s exactly what Larry writes about. Our shallowness has gotten us nowhere. Well, what do you think you’re going to look like at 78, especially if you’re ill from the effects of a liver transplant? For the record, Larry was an incredibly good looking man in his day. I had the great pleasure of meeting him briefly in 1985 when TNH was first produced at the Public Theater. In his apartment at that time, he had a photograph on one of his many bookshelves of himself on the beach at Fire Island Pines in the early ’70s. I couldn’t believe what a good looking man he was in that photograph. I still have the image in my head. And when I see him now, even at his angriest, I remember that photograph, and remember how meaningless it is compared with what he’s accomplished in his life. Looks fade to dust in the end. I’d rather have people remember my accomplishments than my facr or my body. Whatever you think of his delivery, listen to his words. I’m not sure it’s right to say there would be no Will & Grace without him, but there wouldn’t have been protease inhibitors in ’93-95 if he hadn’t been able to martial the resources of a lot of other angry people into the cohesive force brilliantly portrayed in How to Survive a Plague. And that’s worth more than all the pretty faces of gay men everywhere.

13. Island Planet says

I came out at the tail end of the worst of the crisis and have lived with the virus for 20+ years. I fear that the only people who will watch on Sunday are those of us with a direct connection to the crisis. Just like the times TNH portrays, the only people interested in the subject seem to be those of us directly affected.

14. says

I’ve never seen the play, and don’t have HBO, so will not be able to see this film until it is made available elsewhere…but…
    haven’t we Seen All of This Before?
    ‘Longtime Companion’
    ‘Parting Glances’
    ‘And The Band Played On’

But I guess we need ‘new’ reminders, for those who were not around then, and who have no desire to see ‘old stuff.’

Sigh…

^^X^^

15. kenneth says

Why is it that some of these posts seem so cavalier about what happened to our community 30 years ago? It was horrific. I moved to NYC Greenwich Village in 1989 and walking around was like something out of “The Walking Dead”. There was NOTHING but a few activists that were doing anything. Have we seen this before? Because 30 years has gone by and we feel “oh, this has been said” “Yawn”…YAWN, really? I imagine if you grew up in the age of AIDS in a small town in the middle west somewhere you might have escaped the fear and the horror of this disease. But it is of paramount importance that we see this film as yet another bridge that we collectively cross as an acknowledgment of what happened and that this fight is far from over. Will this film make people uncomfortable? Yes. Sorry for your discomfort. I lost a generation of role models to this disease. How many 49 year old gay men do you know? I stand here as some kind of testament that I survived a plague, but I can tell you I don not wear it as a badge of honor.