Comments

1. pete n sfo says

“We love Bill Maher because he takes on Hot Topics & isn’t afraid to speak his mind.”

Oops, spoke too soon. ABC is a bit of a scolding parent at 10am, & Whoopi’s in charge of that. They likely have carriages in front of the theatre at some Disney B-way show.

I love that he plays with Ham Rove. Aside from Cheney, I can’t think of anyone that deserves it more.

2. Mike Sullivan says

Maher is not a jerk-off – far from it. Anyone who thinks he is is probably one themself. He’s fantastic! One of the smartest, most insightful comedians and political commentators in the country.

3. mikeflower says

Well, let’s face it. Male-whore Jeff Gannon was visiting *someone* all those times he is recorded entering the W.H., but never recorded leaving. Rove, now divorced, is never mentioned in the society pages as dating any females. Then again, perhaps he is just a dedicated bachelor like Lyndsey Graham & Aaron Schock are…just say’n

4. Merv says

It’s disappointing to see Bill hopping on the PETA bandwagon. Leaving aside the horse carriage industry, it seems like he’s slamming keeping of horses in general. Does he not realize that they are domesticated animals? They are no longer wild animals. They have undergone genetic changes as a result of artificial selection.

5. gr8guyca says

I don’t understand the carriage ride issue. Just keep them inside Central Park and not on the regular streets. There should be designated carriage stops – 59th and 5th, 59th and CPW – and
    rides take a dedicated loop through the park. The carriages are a NYC tradition that should be kept.

6. Jason B. says

I find it curious that it’s still accepted within our own community to use accusations of homosexuality as a negative slur. It seems to be bad when Fox does it but alright when the prince of liberalism uses it. If we and our supposed allies still see being gay as a nasty title worthy of our most hated enemy then our own community still sees themselves as less than. I am typically the last person to be sensitive to stuff like this, but I see it all too often and it’s not acceptable to me.

7. Bernie says

Nice job! Bill Maher…..I wonder if Karl Rove will sue, deny or write a book about Maher’s comment….anyway, big kudos to Bill for this……..

8. Bernie says

9. Bernie says

10. Dback says

Gotta love Bill Maher–he may not always pick his battles wisely (NYC carriage horses? Really, of all the issues, including animal issues, in the world?), but he tilts at windmills without fear. He and Whoopi would actually make a cute couple, if they ever stopped arguing and debating long enough to get around to sex. (I swear, I thought Goldberg was going to mount Christopher Titus when he was on the show a few years back.)

11. Liam says

Jason B. It is only a negative slur in Rove’s own community. That is why Bill used it. Bill Maher is not saying being gay is bad at all. I think murder is the operative word in the sentence too.

12. Merv says

@HeartBoy – Of course, horses are domesticated. What a bizarre thing to try to deny. They’ve been domesticated for around 6000 years. Almost all the populations of what we call “wild horses” in the world are, in fact, feral populations of the domesticated horse subspecies, Equus ferus caballus.

13. leprechaunvict says

If Rove and Cheney would both realize what irredemable wasted lives they’ve lived, feel remorse for their crimes and commit suicide,I would think the universe did have a sense of justice.

14. jamal49 says

@MIKEFLOWER Thanks for mentioning that now-forgotten, potentially-damaging scandal about Jeff Gannon that our cowardly media would not touch with a 20-foot bilge pole. For the record, there was a whole helluva lot of there there but the media just couldn’t get their collective cojones together to expose it. It was a scandal supreme hiding in very plain sight.

As for Bill Maher, he’s always been outspoken about animal rights and the abuse of animals. I live in NYC. No matter how it gets spun, those horses are abused. The city could just as easily get some electric Model-T autos and other similar transport and still provide a “charming tourist experience” to the millions of visitors who muck up our city’s sidewalks every year. But the “horse lobby” and its real-estate/developer backers are too powerful.