Gay Slurs | Rugby | Sports | United Kingdom

British Rugby Player Banned Five Matches for Homophobic Slur

Hardaker

British rugby player Zak Hardaker was punished with a five-match ban for calling a player a "f--king fag" in late May, the Daily Mail reports:

The 22-year-old England international was also fined £300 by a Rugby Football League independent disciplinary tribunal which sat for almost four hours in Leeds.

Hardaker, who was represented by his club's legal team, was charged with a grade E offence, which carries a suspension of between four and eight matches, after his offensive comments were spotted on television during Leeds' 24-6 defeat by Warrington 11 days ago.

Hardaker last week issued an apology for his comments, admitting he used inappropriate language and insisted they were aimed at Warrington captain Michael Monaghan, rather than referee James Child, which appeared to be the case.

Following the punishment, Hardaker tweeted:

Comments

1. Sorry, was there a story attached to this picture?

Posted by: Michael | Jun 11, 2014 11:49:17 AM

2. Yep, that's going to stop him being homophobic.

No one hates themselves more then gay people. Except blacks. Yep, two groups constantly competing for which has the most selected morals to love/worship of people who hate them-bbbut they're cute!?

Posted by: Rowan | Jun 11, 2014 11:53:14 AM

3. Maybe he was being harassed by the opposing team's captain and in his anger he used words he shouldn't have, much like Jonah Hill.

Posted by: Perry | Jun 11, 2014 11:55:17 AM

4. He called him a cigarette? Weird.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 11, 2014 11:59:10 AM

5. Is he wearing an earring?

Posted by: Lollipop | Jun 11, 2014 12:07:34 PM

6. Perry -

Cigarette is probably a 1 degree separation to the word,"Poof" in Britain.

People seem to learn lessons faster when you hit them in the wallet.

Posted by: Kevin | Jun 11, 2014 12:14:45 PM

7. Actually - after looking at some photos and footage, he might have a special announcement coming in a few years that may surprise all of us.

There are no nastier homophobes than ones who stand in the closet. I'll see if I can find him in The Village in Manchester... teehee

Posted by: Kevin | Jun 11, 2014 12:18:06 PM

8. Calling someone a "fag" in the heat of an argument is hard for me to get angry about especially when the other person may have caused the initial hurt and the responding party just wants to hurt them back...however, someone, on the other hand, who demeans for the sake of demeaning are true homophobes, sociopaths, and errant religionistas. I have a hard time thinking Zak is a true homophobe...especially looking like this: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/rugby_league/4679308/Zak-Hardaker-and-Josh-Charnley-don-Lycra-for-Zak-and-Josh-show.html

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jun 11, 2014 12:45:04 PM

9. @Kevin Typical gay response about a good looking guy must be gay. Come up with something more witty to say.

Posted by: Kyle | Jun 11, 2014 12:45:36 PM

10. Incredibly hot, incredibly dumb.

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 11, 2014 12:49:14 PM

11. It makes me sad that we live in a world where people can't make mistakes. They guy said something he shouldn't have.. yes. It was pointed out to him and he took the reprimand like a grownup and says he learned from the whole thing.

I know that when I screw up I want the people around me to let me know and give me a chance to apologize and grow from it. I feel bad for those of you that are perfect all the time... must be exhausting.

Posted by: Dan | Jun 11, 2014 12:51:41 PM

12. This guy is so hot it is hard for me to get too upset about a word he used in anger in the heat of a game.

Posted by: bicurious | Jun 11, 2014 1:07:42 PM

13. Classic English gay face. Come out of the closet lad.

Posted by: Richard D | Jun 11, 2014 1:11:38 PM

14. The point isn't that he made a mistake (yes) or even if he's really homophobic (I don't think so or at least not actively so.)

If you are running a league and you are intent on eliminating damaging language and behaviour in the stands, then you have to stomp it out wherever it may occur. The league had to do this, otherwise, they wouldn't have a lot of moral authority to stop homophobic chanting or to eject homophobic spectators.

Posted by: Frozen North | Jun 11, 2014 1:15:10 PM

15. SO, so, so hot. He could call me whatever he wanted, then do whatever he wanted to me. Too bad more people in the world looked like him, ignorant or not.

Posted by: Henry | Jun 11, 2014 1:39:48 PM

16. Ah, such a handsome young man. I can't get too upset either. He's only 22. Live and learn.

Posted by: will | Jun 11, 2014 1:52:49 PM

17. "Classic English gay face" I dunno, I've seen gayer. Maybe, maybe not. He sure is cute though.

"Actually - after looking at some photos and footage"
    Hmmm well the photos I found just show him to be a handsome English guy. As for the way he speaks, he has a thick northern accent so unless you are familiar with how such accents can dissemble sexuality, I wouldn't be sure. I'd wait for someone from that part of the world to chime in. I think you have to be a native American English to know, for example, that Tim Tebow sounds slightly gay.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jun 11, 2014 2:01:09 PM

18. oops! native American English SPEAKER

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jun 11, 2014 2:05:00 PM

19. It is very gratifying to see the Rugby League take such action to thwart further public homophobia. Hats off to the League!

Posted by: Cary Chauvet | Jun 11, 2014 2:10:35 PM

20. i am willing to accept his apology in person.

Posted by: bandanajack | Jun 11, 2014 2:17:53 PM

21. Why is someone who doesn't use a razor advertising Gillette?

Posted by: Randy | Jun 11, 2014 2:23:04 PM

22. I love him.

Posted by: David | Jun 11, 2014 2:31:40 PM

23. He seems attractive.

Posted by: Pervy McPerv | Jun 11, 2014 2:39:47 PM

24. Change the word he used with the N word or others I can think of and see if it changes your opinion.

Posted by: Jaysonn | Jun 11, 2014 2:51:23 PM

25. He was actually being harassed by the other team and then they played stupid and said they never said anything....They sound like todays feminists....

Posted by: styler | Jun 11, 2014 2:58:34 PM