Comments

1. will says

They’re not showing faces. It’s psychological — “we need to remain hidden, in the shadows”. The gay men’s faces in this commercial need to come OUT, into the light and into the camera range. We cannot hide like this.

2. Profe Sancho Panza says

So, basically, the ad links the mother’s embrace of her son’s sexuality to her embrace of a microwaved frozen Italian dinner as real food. I’m not liking the subtext here.

3. Profe Sancho Panza says

4. Mike says

It MIGHT be as simple as by not showing faces they are hoping that the VIEWER will say to themselves “Oh, that is like so and so” that they know. Casting the actors different each time that they see it. Sooner or later they may say this is my friend or this is my brother.

5. Mike says

I’m not like “love me love my microwave”. Just wanted to make certain that that was not something that you heard from Lottaa Crack down at the local health food store hawking some magic diet powders. Just ONCE I would like to walk in a health food store and see someone there that even LOOKED halfway healthy.

6. Mike says

Think I will take the New York Times and others word for now over Lotta Crack.The straight guys do say she’s VERY friendly. (Hmm. So much for straight guys.)

“The Claim: Microwave Ovens Kill Nutrients in Food

THE FACTS They are a staple in kitchens everywhere, but for about as long as microwave ovens have been around, people have suspected that the radiation they emit can destroy nutrients in food and vegetables.

According to most studies, however, the reality is quite the opposite. Every cooking method can destroy vitamins and other nutrients in food. The factors that determine the extent are how long the food is cooked, how much liquid is used and the cooking temperature.

Since microwave ovens often use less heat than conventional methods and involve shorter cooking times, they generally have the least destructive effects. The most heat-sensitive nutrients are water-soluble vitamins, like folic acid and vitamins B and C, which are common in vegetables.”

7. Mike says

@Jay REALITY! You believe what you want.
    Enjoy grazing on nothing but fruits and berries. Unrefrigerated of course because of the damage to enzymes and nutrients.

And I WILL do as I want. Yea!

8. emjayay says

Right Jay, and cooking liberates a lot of nutrients in food and is considered to be one of the most civilization enabling technological revolutions.

Mike, you are of course entirely right, but using the word “radiation” makes the scientifically less knowledgeable t who believe those other myths think of nuclear reactors and cancer etc.

Radiation is like radio waves and sunlight and all kinds of energy that, well, radiates. Microwaves use waves in the radio spectrum, specifically in the radar range. In fact, the name of early microwave ovens: Radar Range. The idea came from soldiers standing in front of the dish to get warm.

9. Boz says

Yes, yes, very good and all. But the older I get the more jaded I become, and it just feels like a terribly cynical way for a big ass company to sell stuff to more people. And while it *is* progress, we should probably put it in context and remember that should crazed right-wing bigots become the next must-have market to conquer, we wouldn’t be seeing any of this. Most companies are very fickle.