Hedwig and the Angry Inch | Neil Patrick Harris | News | Theatre

Neil Patrick Harris Sings Two Tracks from the 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch' Cast Recording: LISTEN

Soundtrack_hedwig

The cast recording of Broadway's Hedwig and the Angry Inch is out today and Atlantic Records has put two tracks out - "Wig in a Box" and "Sugar Daddy" - and made them available on iTunes.

Check the full versions out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Oh boo, I wanted to hear Wicked Little Town.

Posted by: Salondra | Jun 6, 2014 11:05:28 AM

2. Ditto, Salondra, but NPH's Wig in a Box is pretty awesome.

Posted by: Jacques | Jun 6, 2014 11:13:42 AM

3. Did the vocal score read "non vivace"? Because his singing is a bit comatose karaoke on both of them. I do like the new arrangement of Sugar Daddy though.

Posted by: Quicksilver | Jun 6, 2014 11:24:48 AM

4. Not terrible but a bit "ladylike"/robotic/overenuniciated. Not close to the soul of JCM and I think Duncan Sheik rocked it better (in LA). It sounds (in both the sung and spoken parts of Wig in a Box)like NPH is focused on Hedwig being a transexual rather than a rocker.

Posted by: AlexBH | Jun 6, 2014 11:36:48 AM

5. I liked the country feel of the original Sugar Daddy. The new one is more hard rock, which I've never been a big fan of.

Posted by: Merv | Jun 6, 2014 11:43:09 AM

6. I suspect the live versions are better. The movie version had the vocals and most of the music recorded live during filming, I think these being recorded in-studio effects the 'soul' of the music.

Posted by: Jake | Jun 6, 2014 11:43:49 AM

7. Listening to this early in the morning, it all sounds rather trite. You know when you realize that you've been getting words of a song wrong for years and not realizing it? I thought this show was called,
    "Hedwig and the Angry Itch." Be that as it may.

Posted by: GB | Jun 6, 2014 11:50:07 AM

8. Karaoke? Oh for goodness' sakes. What a surprise that the studio recording of an edgy rock musical lacks the raw quality you would find in a live performance. If you queens want the real thing, drop the bucks and go see it (I did- totally worth it). Don't expect the full meal deal for $1.29 on iTunes.

Posted by: CLB | Jun 6, 2014 12:06:24 PM

9. My, my. All the armchair critics are out in force today.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Get yourselves a part in a broadway show, folks, and *then* maybe I'll listen to you.

Posted by: Raybob | Jun 6, 2014 12:36:08 PM

10. The answer lies with the man who quotes those who use semi-colons correctly.

Posted by: Jake | Jun 6, 2014 12:52:48 PM

11. @Raybob - I'll agree with that statement as long as the next time your flight is late you think "we'll I won't complain unless I can build an airline" or if your meal at a restaurant is slow or poor "I won't complain unless I can open a restaurant." I'm not saying NPH is not a good guy or a great talent, I'm just saying he's probably not the best Hedwig and I've seen it live seven times.

Posted by: AlexBH | Jun 6, 2014 1:17:45 PM

12. This sounds like Neil is a real artist. I haven't seen this version of the show, but I've seen youtube clips, and he's probably one the finest actors out there who can play this material (Don't knock it, either. There are many, many actors who can play Hamlet, but not many actors who can play Hedwig.) His voice sounds strong and pure in "Wig in a Box", uncluttered with vibrato and vocal tricks.

Posted by: will | Jun 6, 2014 1:53:08 PM

13. F*CK YES!!!!! Amazing!

Posted by: Marc | Jun 6, 2014 3:55:34 PM

14. A ticket is expensive as hell, but if you can afford it, go see this show, it's worth it! And The Hurt Locker: The Musical playbill is an added hysterical bonus.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 7, 2014 1:52:14 AM

15. No, this really is flat. Maybe a better vocalist will take over -- hope so.

Posted by: mike | Jun 8, 2014 12:37:13 AM

16. I just paid $500 for 2 seats in Sept and feel majorly ripped off as NPH was the draw.

Posted by: Craig | Jul 18, 2014 10:10:28 PM