Football (American) | Michael Sam | NFL | Sports | St. Louis

Michael Sam Signed to Four-Year, $2.65 Million Contract with St. Louis Rams

Sam

The St. Louis Rams have officially signed gay NFL rookie Michael Sam and the rest of the Rams' Rookie class, NFL.com reports:

NFL Media's Albert Breer reported Thursday that the Rams have signed all 11 players selected by the team last month at Radio City Music Hall, according to a team source.

The complete list of signed Rams rookies includes: OT Greg Robinson, DT Aaron Donald, CB Lamarcus Joyner, RB Tre Mason, SS Mo Alexander, CB E.J. Gaines, QB Garrett Gilbert, OT Mitchell Van Dyk, FS C.B. Bryant, DE Michael Sam and C Demetrius Rhaney.

FOX Sports reports that Sam was offered a four-year, $2.65 million contract, with $46,000 of it guaranteed.

Sam tweeted on Thursday: "Grateful, humbled, and motivated after officially signing with all my Rams rookie brothers. Let's do this!! #RamUp "

Comments

1. Just $2.65 million? The publicity this guy generates is worth far more than that - not to mention the hundreds of thousands of new Ram fans across the nation. Best wishes to him and his boyfriend. When is the marriage?

Posted by: Cary Chauvet | Jun 13, 2014 1:59:21 PM

2. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Rad | Jun 13, 2014 2:00:48 PM

3. awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Tom | Jun 13, 2014 2:30:33 PM

4. That doesn't mean he will make the final roster though, right. It sounds like they've signed everyone.

Posted by: Matt | Jun 13, 2014 2:35:14 PM

5. @Cary Chauvet You know nothing about football and salary. He is a rookie picked up in the final round (one of the last players to be drafted). His contract is in the range for players picked that round. As for the so called new hundreds of thousands of new Rams "fans", that is a short term effect. And no @matt that doesn't mean he has made the roster. They can cut him from the team before the final roster for the 2014 season needs to be made official. As this article says, he is only guaranteed $46K regardless of actually making the team or not.

Posted by: Perry | Jun 13, 2014 3:09:45 PM

6. I wish Mister Sam the best (and his partner also).

I know one damn thing--that ad that Towleroad is posting about the Emery University HealthCare Study is too much for me. The one that asks, "Are you negative" or "Are you positive"

That beautiful hunk of chocolate model they use in the ad is enough to make me do something nasty in my drawahs. But I won't. A prissy queen can't stand to be in nasty drawahs.

He even has DIMPLES. Oooooh, he's fierce!!!!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 13, 2014 3:28:33 PM

7. Congrats, Michael. I hope you have a great year and they tear up the contract for even bigger money. Good luck, kid.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 13, 2014 3:56:42 PM

8. @DERRICK FROM PHILLY - Hi Derrick; that is not Andy's doing; that is just an advertising module that he plugs into this blog. That module will read the cookies you have on your PC and tailor the content to you. I get Capella University on mine. To ratchet down the volume of content, RIGHT MOUSE CLICK on the advertisement, then select BLOCK THIS AD. You should then be able to turn off that module.

Rad

Posted by: Rad | Jun 13, 2014 4:04:31 PM

9. I love the video clip where they're interviewing Sam on the field - almost all the questions were actually about football! Now that's progress!

Posted by: SeattleMike | Jun 13, 2014 4:14:58 PM

10. Rick Perry:
    Did you say he can't even make it this far? Come back in one year to see if your "prediction" is correct or to get another pie in your face.

Posted by: simon | Jun 13, 2014 4:34:19 PM

11. @ RAD,

thanks for the explanation. I kinda' understand what you're telling me. I appreciate the time you took out to try and educate the internet illiterates (me).

But I just love looking at that guy in the Emery University study ad.

Oh, my.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 13, 2014 4:47:32 PM

12. Perry is typical of self hating homophobes. If you listen to him you are dumb and lazy. Go research for GD sake! This guy was SEC defensive of the year and it's the first time one has ever been given a position below draft 2. The sad fact that gay websites are so lazy to actually mention all his awards and how crazy it is....

Cary, again just go research as Towleroad won't do it for you. Perry is right. Which is why many understood the Oprah gig, because he went so down in the draft he would be getting $$ for what was missing.

Unfortunately, it was bad timing.

He'll get sorted out with endorsements.

The more I learn about St Louis, the more it makes sense they took him in.

I'm no football fan but I bothered to do my own research because no gay sites were doing it at all.

Posted by: Rowan | Jun 13, 2014 4:49:59 PM

13. Come on guys, Perry makes more than a few millions a year.

Posted by: simon | Jun 13, 2014 4:50:09 PM

14. Since it was a long time ago, I vaguely remember Rick/Perry also "predicted" Mitt Romney will be the next president.

Posted by: simon | Jun 13, 2014 5:03:58 PM

15. Sorry @simon, but I only found towleroad at the beginning of last summer so no I did not make that prediction.

And poor @rowan, it is a shame you don't know sh!t about football. He is undersized and too slow for his position. He did extremely poor in the combine. He performed poorly in as a linebacker in the senior bowl (the position many say he might be better suited for physically).

Great college players do not equate great NFL players. Look at the last 20 Heisman trophy winners and how they have largely underachieved and many have been busts.

If you (@simon) actually did your research, you would know the chances Michael sam will make the Ram's roster at the end of the pre-season is not very good. I am not self loathing because I look at the stats and am not biased. I do not wishfully hope someone makes an NFL team just because he is gay.

Posted by: Perry | Jun 13, 2014 5:15:02 PM

16. I don't like football. I think it is a waste of time to do any research on something so trivial. There are more important and interesting things in this world like evolution or Big Bang theory. And you probably did your "research" on the "statistics" and predicted he won't get any contract. Only a fool believes in their own prediction on human affairs as if it is an exact science. A lot of professional commentators also got their prediction wrong on Michael Sam.

Posted by: simon | Jun 13, 2014 5:25:24 PM

17. I don't like football. I think it is a waste of time to do any research on something so trivial. There are more important and interesting things in this world like evolution or Big Bang theory. And you probably did your "research" on the "statistics" and predicted he won't get any contract. Only a fool believes in their own prediction on human affairs as if it is an exact science. A lot of professional commentators also got their prediction wrong on Michael Sam.

Posted by: simon | Jun 13, 2014 5:25:34 PM

18. Let me give you an example. In meteorology, scientists try to predict tomorrow weather using supercomputers and well established theories. We all know how accurate it is. Human affair is even more difficult problem which no computer is powerful enough to solve.
    Yes, the best supercomputers can be a chess master since the number of chess moves is finite and small enough to feed into a computer. But something like football team involves so many variables. The chance of making a correct prediction is more or less like 50/50.

Posted by: simon | Jun 13, 2014 5:48:06 PM

19. Perry sounds like your average bitter gay republican

Posted by: ny2.0 | Jun 14, 2014 12:17:01 AM

20. Kick Ass Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Sam | Jun 14, 2014 3:48:03 AM

21. My guess is that he will be cut by the end of the pre-season but will be signed by another team (assuming he shows some ability during the pres-season) a few weeks into the regular season for a short term contract to fill a spot created by injuries to other players.

Posted by: John | Jun 14, 2014 7:16:11 PM

22. We seem to have a lot of armchair psychics here.

Posted by: simon | Jun 14, 2014 9:37:36 PM

23. Why John? Why do you hate him as a player so much?

Perry you're full of sh*t. Predictions my arse.

Simon, exactly. And they are ALL gay.

Go on any sports site, NONE of them are as negative and nasty as gay sites because they've all done their GD homework too.

All his coaches to his team mates have praised his passion and leadership skills. You even see it when you watch him play.

I'm so ashamed of gay people.

Urgh. Either you go on Queerty and they are bitching about how he is being used by his boyfriend or on here that he will, be cut and be chosen to replace injured players!!??

Jesus.