News | Transgender

R. Kelly's Youngest Child Comes Out as Transgender

R. Kelly's youngest child, 13 and named Jaya at birth but now goes by Jay, has come out as transgender, InTouch reports:

JayAs of three months ago, Jay said his father was unaware of his new identity, but added his mother—Drea, who stars on the reality series Hollywood Exes—has been extremely supportive.

“[My mom] was like, ‘Baby, you know I love you if you were bi, gay, [lesbian], you name it and I would still love you so much,’” he wrote on his Ask.fm page, which is a social platform that allows users to answer anonymously submitted questions.

“She was very proud of me, I was like, ‘Thank you mum for accepting the fact that I’m a transgender.’

“And same with my sister, she told me that she was proud of me, and respects me by calling me handsome and calling me her little brother now, and I love her for that, so you know it was great for me.”

Jay says he is looking forward to being truly comfortable at some point in the future after gender reassignment surgery and testosterone treatments.

Comments

1. Hmmm......

Very interesting what his therapist would have to say-Daddy likes young girls....great way to get all the attention you want because before today, I didn't even know this dude had a child!?

And her mother encouraging this going public?? Really? This couldn't be done privately? I guess you're really hitting male chauvinist Daddy where it hurts.

She has money, so they want even get her to see a therapist before she gets the surgery done.

In the UK, we've had so many cases of people changing their mind after surgery..

Posted by: Rowan | Jun 10, 2014 8:51:49 AM

2. Towley, are trying to tell us something? You have now begun devoting the vast majority of your site to transsexual issues. It is really difficult to even find one article about actual gay people on here. May I suggest that if you are transitioning, that you remove the "homosexual tendencies" banner? Even if you still do consider yourself a "male", it is an affront to your T mistresses and masters.

Posted by: franklin | Jun 10, 2014 9:31:46 AM

3. what a circus

Posted by: The Id | Jun 10, 2014 9:32:19 AM

4. Maybe he did it to avoid getting peed on by his father.

Posted by: Merv | Jun 10, 2014 9:32:57 AM

5. Maybe go to hell, Franklin? How about that?

Posted by: Mikey M | Jun 10, 2014 9:44:06 AM

6. Wow, love this story! Do nice to see stories of love instead of negative things always happening and Bitter queens trolling as usual.

Posted by: zeddy | Jun 10, 2014 9:54:55 AM

7. "It is really difficult to even find one article about actual gay people on here."

Pizzeria Employees Cover Bill for Gay Wisconsin Newlyweds

President Obama Called Ryan Murphy After Watching 'The Normal Heart'

Check Out This Incredible Supercut of Gay Rights News Clips from the 1980s: VIDEO

Newly-Out Gay Principal Leads Thousands in Student Protest of WBC: VIDEO

Towleroad Celebrates L.A. Pride! — PHOTOS

Michael Sam on His Teammates: ‘They Respect Me As A Human Being and As A Football Player’

Têtu Magazine Says 'Mister Gay' Beauty Contestant Can Compete Even if He is a Racist

Posted by: crispy | Jun 10, 2014 10:06:20 AM

8. Drea - wonderful mother :)

We've had so many families with trans children coming to PFLAG meetings in the last few months - and it's so wonderful that they're coming not out of upset, but because they want to have all the tools necessary to help their children. that's what love is. that's what a family does.

well met, Drea. and cheers to your brave and wonderful son.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 10, 2014 10:46:04 AM

9. LKiwi, if she was a wonderful mother, would she not tell her kid to not go on Ask, the number ONE bullying site? Or start an instagram based on his transition??!

People like you with your fake and far removed pseudo liberal support of issues is very destructive. Trans or not, this kid is being USED by the mother who had sex with a dodgy child molester-even I knew about the Aaliyah thing when I was a kid-and will continue to be used.

For every Laverne Cox, there are dozens of these mentally unbalanced trans kids/adults who are given 'fake' advice online where they seek comfort and acceptance from strangers.

Posted by: Rowan | Jun 10, 2014 11:27:32 AM

10. "Rowan" - you mean cowardly worthless trolls like yourself that don't have the integrity to post from a place of legit visibility because you're a wimp who's aware that you're full of s**t?

Nothing "fake" about my support of these issues. Was very happy to be at Toronto city hall today, to see city council give my mother a standing ovation for her tireless work on behalf of the LGBT communities across the city and province. then we hugged goodbye, and she went off to a school to talk to 2nd and 3rd grade students about bullying and embracing diversity.

I'm sorry you can't say the same about your own mother, I'm sorry you didn't have a mother like Drea who lovers her son just as he is - and I'm sorry that you can't point to a single thing you've ever done to help anyone else. Now feel free to switch user names and continue to beg for my attention.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 10, 2014 11:36:03 AM

11. @Towleroad: Keep bringing the stories about every aspect of our community, and remind us all that we have sisters and brothers who need our support and understanding. It's a good reminder every day that we should reach out and not lash out.

Posted by: Reach Out | Jun 10, 2014 11:43:09 AM

12. If that's not the real poster called "Rowan" from Britain speaking--please let us know. The comments have a very bitter tone--especially the last one.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 10, 2014 11:46:56 AM

13. Franklin that was a funny comment, but factually incorrect as Crispy pointed out.

Posted by: Brian W. | Jun 10, 2014 11:59:10 AM

14. I'm glad he addressed this because people were commenting about his appearance on the red carpet on urban blogs.He should tell his story rather than a tabloid as instead the case of Warren Bratty and Annette Benning TG son.

Posted by: Kim | Jun 10, 2014 12:55:46 PM

15. This was God's way of punishing R Kelly. As a transgurl, I can tell you no sane parent wants a transgender child.

Posted by: Tami | Jun 10, 2014 3:28:50 PM