Music | News | Sinead O'Connor

Sinead O'Connor Says 'Take Me to Church' on New Single: LISTEN

Sinead_oconnor

Sinead O'Connor has returned with a new single (and a wig!).

The new track is called "Take Me to Church" and appears on her new album I'm Not Bossy, I'm the Boss which is out on August 11.

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Oh yes! Love it!

Posted by: John | Jun 18, 2014 9:11:49 AM

2. Oh yes...Love it!

Posted by: John | Jun 18, 2014 9:12:08 AM

3. Wow. I'm so happy for her. This is great.

Posted by: ladi | Jun 18, 2014 9:14:17 AM

4. I'd buy that track. Great photo. Would not have guessed from the vocals or the photo that it was Sinead.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 18, 2014 9:15:45 AM

5. Love Love Love! She rocks!

Posted by: Josh | Jun 18, 2014 9:33:29 AM

6. That photo is barely Sinead.

Actually, I can't believe she allowed them to use it. She's portrayed as about half the size she actually is.

Posted by: pete n sfo | Jun 18, 2014 9:57:16 AM

7. She has man hands.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 18, 2014 10:16:17 AM

8. dude, that is NOT sinead o'connor. unless she lost 50 lbs and didn't tell anyone. yeesh.

Posted by: brian | Jun 18, 2014 10:38:23 AM

9. @Pet and Brian, I thought the same thing. That is her photoshopped into an alternate reality.

Posted by: Caleb in SC | Jun 18, 2014 10:58:54 AM

10. The fact that she has always skewered the sexualization of women in the music industry escapes some commenters on TR.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Jun 18, 2014 1:09:19 PM

11. She appears to be releasing a series of images that have her using clothes and wigs to create different, highly stylized, obviously photoshopped personas. She's probably making a statement, and if we know Sinéad, we know that she will, eventually, thoroughly explain herself.

Posted by: Jason | Jun 18, 2014 1:30:52 PM

12. This is all very Tori Amos American Doll Posse.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 18, 2014 2:13:47 PM

13. The fact that she's batshitcrazyfuckinginsane also seems to have gone unnoticed.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 18, 2014 2:22:42 PM

14. I don't think the weight loss has been photoshopped. Here's a recent video showing her at about the same weight as in the recent photos:

She's open about her bipolar disorder, which is a really destructive disease when left untreated, and it's often difficult to get all symptoms to abate. Often the medications used to treat the disease are major weight-gainers (usually 25-75 pounds) causing major food cravings and the like. Maybe she's been able to change her medication to ones that don't cause much if any weight gain. In fact, some can cause weight loss.

There is already enough stigma regarding people who suffer from mental illness without them being labeled "batshitcrazyfuckinginsane". People who suffer from mental illness are no more batshitcrazyfuckinginsane than people who suffer from MS, cancer, Parkinson's are lazy. A disease is a disease and the symptoms are what they are.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 18, 2014 4:20:12 PM

15. It's not just photoshop, Sinead actually did loose a significant amount of weight. And Sinead has worn wigs in the past as part of her image. Anyway...

Take Me to Church is pretty good. I'm far from a religious person, but Sinead O'Connor is at her best when she is singing about her faith. Her voice has really held up beautifully over all these years.

Posted by: Thomas | Jun 18, 2014 4:26:08 PM

16. Two Irish artists in the space of months with a single "Take Me to Church"?

Hozier's is much better: http://www.towleroad.com/2013/09/hozier.html

Posted by: Mike | Jun 18, 2014 5:47:54 PM

17. Really looking forward to this album-- her last one was actually incredible (check our her cover of "Queen of Denmark"). I do worry that she has lost a lot of her range, and I think in part it may be due to smoking. Her spoken voice lately is really deep. But, even what's left sounds incredible-- she is profoundly talented, and should be considered courageous for speaking out against abuse in the Catholic Church since before almost any other prominent individual.

Posted by: Wil | Jun 18, 2014 6:38:16 PM

18. @Mike - good memory re the Hozier song with the same title. I wonder if Take Me to Church is an Irish saying with more meaning than the obvious.
    I like how Sinead sings to take her to the church that doesn't hurt, that it ain't the truth, and that's it's not what it's worth.
    Her work with John Grant is wonderful and I second Wil's admiration of the cover of John's song Queen of Denmark. The Wolf is Getting Married single is tops too from that release.
    Lion and the Cobra was the first CD I ever bought and although I didn't love everything she created, I always came back to her music.

Posted by: scudpipe | Jun 18, 2014 8:26:54 PM

19. This song is plain awful.

Posted by: bleh | Jun 18, 2014 8:57:33 PM

20. Fu*k yes! This is fantastic.

Posted by: Marc | Jun 19, 2014 2:09:00 AM