Comments

1. tinkerbelle says

Oh Jimmy, where did you ever go? Voice is better than ever, and you’ve turned into a sexy beast. Glad to hear that this song is still alive, even if we (the royal we) wish it wasn’t still relevant.

2. Bill says

His heartbreak is still evident in every note, every syllable.

Still as haunting as it ever was.

Powerful and moving.

Way to go, Somerville. You’ve still got it.

3. JackFknTwist says

Ah, la recherche de temps perdu.

“We had the best songs.
    We taught you how to dance.”

4. Ted says

This song is on my ipod and whenever it comes on I get more defiant – it was always a rallying song for me. And I love this rendition, thanks for sharing

5. JackFknTwist says

@ TED :

Snap.
    On my iPod also…..a rallying song……
    “you never cry to them, just to your soul !.”

6. Mike says

HAUNTINGLY BEAUTIFUL Jimmy! Just wish that this heartbreaking gay anthem would cease to be played out in actuality every bloody day . . .

7. bicurious says

This is a real song that changed people, and maybe continues to do so 30 years on.

8. bandanajack says

it is reassuring to see that so many other people are moved by that strange haunting voice, that light bulb shaped head and jerky little body movements. the song was the sound track to my rebellion, my claim to my own life all those years ago, and somehow, i have found jimmy somerville wildly attractive then, and now, and at every stage in between.

and even now i can’t help checking out his package.

9. Trevor says

Oh Jimmy…That was so gorgeous. You saved my gay ass in High School by showing I wasn’t the only one. Thank for such a lovely new rendition.

10. SoLeftImRight says

I bought the album with the original liner notes, including gay ages of consent around the world, before the US record company decided to ban it and make it a plain inner sleeve. Amazing album, amazing voice, haunting all these years later.

11. Woohooboy says

This song resonates as strongly now as it did when it was first released thirty years ago in 1984. The struggle that many of us faced and still continue to is powerful and ongoing.

Most gay men on some level can identify with what it’s like to be bullied, shunned and turned away and having to forge a new life for ourselves someplace else where we can be the person we truly are without being made ashamed or vilified for it.

Jimmy Somerville’s vocals are amazing. His falsetto is terrific and this version is sublime. Thanks Jimmy for creating an amazing song that still strikes a deep chord for me all these years later.

12. Den says

Randy, yes that is true but everything in the song suggests it at the same time. That is the brilliance of it. The double life, screaming and silent in tandem. It is the history of gay feeling and existence.

13. says

Gorgeous, then and now. The new vocal is lovely.

@Randy: The song doesn’t say “gay kid,” but, as Den says, it is completely suggested, especially in the context of the original album. It was obvious to all of us who related to the song 30 years ago and remains so. A great, out album, one that still holds up.

14. Patrick says

Wow. Jimmy has a truly powerful voice. This raw,stripped version is amazing; gave me goose bumps…

15. glasgow1975 says

song was somewhat ruined for me after it was used in a Christmas ad last year – one feels the advertisers didn’t have a clue what the lyrics meant . . .