Comments

1. MaryM says

I wonder if Stephen Colbert were to call Hill a K*ke and then apologise, would everyone be so willing to forgive him.

I don’t believe Hill is actually a bigot.

It just disgusts me that homophobic hate-speech is so accepted and so easily forgiven. Only anti-islamic hate-speech is more acceptable in the US.

Racism and anti-semitism are held to to a different standard.

2. David From Canada says

@Marym: I was forced to watch The View yesterday when I was getting my car serviced at the dealership. The View panel all said in essence that Jonah Hill gave a good apology, that everything was fine, people make mistakes and it’s time to move on. They simply dimissed it. Air heads……

3. j says

the timing of the slur is awfully convenient for him, isn’t it? he’s all over the place promoting his movie now. i am convinced this was all a publicity stunt.

4. The Milkman says

I think prejudice (of whatever stripe) lurks surprisingly close to the surface of most people, and all it takes is a stressful situation to make it pop out in ways that most decent people regret later. It’s important to apologize when it happens and make an effort to check one’s self in the future, but as long as it’s not a pattern of behavior then I’m willing to forgive. It’s an example of human fallibility that is offensive when it happens, but so common that our resources would be better spent encouraging closer self-monitoring and control rather than pejorative anger afterward. (Again, this is in cases of isolated incidents, rather than long-term patterns of behavior.)

5. Brendan says

Had Jonah Hill recently been caught on tape calling a reporter a c*ck-sucking jew or n*gger, would we be seeing him all over TV receiving rapturous cheers from adoring clapping seals on these vapid TV talk shows?

The question answers itself. Clearly, slurs against gay people are not taken as seriously as slurs against other minority groups.

6. Mike says

@BRENDAN

“Clearly, slurs against gay people are not taken as seriously as slurs against other minority groups.”

You teach people how to treat you, and, as we see on Towleroad every day, many gays are more than willing to give people a pass on hate speech at every opportunity. If we are constantly telling straights that it’s OK to use such hate speech, why should they change their behavior?

7. Ryan says

Brendan – I don’t necessarily disagree in your main point, but the prominence of his apology and how heavily it was covered is a great lesson to everyone that using the kind of language he used is something people *should* apologize for, and all too many people in this country haven’t even realized that.

8. Ali says

I think it’s obviously true that no-one would be so willing to forgive had it been a racist comment – but what if it had been a misogynist insult? I can’t see that it would have been a big deal in the first place if he’d called someone a b*tch, or even a c*nt. So much homophobia is another expression of misogyny, and I think the way in which both insults are used against men conveys exceptionally similar sentiments.

He should teach classes in how to apologise. Certainly interpret his future actions with heightened scrutiny, and certainly it would help if the cultural acceptability of such insults was being discussed on in the reporting of what he said, but ultimately people make mistakes in the heat of the moment and it doesn’t help to make enemies out of people to quickly.