News | Sports | Surfing

The Taboo of Being a Gay Surfer: VIDEO

Surfers

Back in December we posted about a Kickstarter-funded documentary OUT in the Lineup, exploring the world of gay surfers and why it's so hard to be out as a gay athlete in that culture.

Now there's Caught Inside, a new mini-documentary, which wades into the same world, talking to gay surfers about the gnarly situations that crop up from being in the closet.

How do out gay surfers cope at the beach?

Watch Caught Inside, AFTER THE JUMP...

Any gay surfers reading this? Do you encounter these same problems?

Comments

1. looks fascinating

Posted by: franklin | Jun 2, 2014 8:54:29 AM

2. The Australian film "Newcastle" deals very well with this topic.

Posted by: Don | Jun 2, 2014 9:42:55 AM

3. As does the American film Shelter.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Jun 2, 2014 10:13:49 AM

4. I saw the US premier of Out in the Lineup a couple months ago at the Newport Beach Film Festival. It started a bit slow but overall was pretty good. While I'm not a surfer myself I know a lot of straight surfers (including my roommate) and it's hard for me to imagine any of them being dicks to another surfer because they are gay. They really only get angry at any surfer with poor surf etiquette. And they'll hassle any newbies until they get to know them.

Posted by: Craig | Jun 2, 2014 10:40:23 AM

5. What taboo about being a gay surfer?

Am surprised that there are not MORE motion pictures about GAY SURFERS considering the wealth of material in the form of books and even more excellent short stories that there are out there. Have a feeling that the next "Brokeback Mountain" with the MASS AUDIENCE APPEAL of a "Philadelphia" will be a good story about gay surfers. Only this time the gay lead will not HAVE to be played by a straight actor or die in the end. [Grr.]

Posted by: Mike | Jun 2, 2014 11:24:49 AM

6. I think it's like any other situation where gay is assumed, the straight guys feel the need to heterosexualize it. How many times did we resist barfing when the Olympic TV chatters would dutifully heterosexualize male ice dancers.

Posted by: Ethra Klein | Jun 2, 2014 12:26:10 PM

7. I think it's like any other situation where gay is assumed, the straight guys feel the need to heterosexualize it. How many times did we resist barfing when the Olympic TV chatters would dutifully heterosexualize male ice dancers.

Posted by: Ethra Klein | Jun 2, 2014 12:26:11 PM

8. Must be an Australian thing...

I've lived in Hawaii 23 years and surfed probably 14 of those years and never experienced any anti-gay anything.

I'm with Craig above - the only thing surfers bust others for is poor surf etiquette.

Posted by: Kevin | Jun 2, 2014 4:32:26 PM

9. Well hello Adam. Right fine looker right there.

Posted by: daws | Jun 2, 2014 7:05:19 PM