I'm Gay | Jamie Lambert | Music | News

Britain's Got Talent Winner Jamie Lambert: I'm Gay

Collabro

Jamie Lambert (second from left) of Britain's Got Talent winner Collabro has come out of the closet in an interview with Britain's The Sun.

Lambert says he has been out for a while, it's just that the press has never asked about it:

“No one asked — I have nothing to hide from anybody. I think it’s really important that all gay people in the public eye just talk about it. The more that happens, the more normal it becomes...I remember when Stephen Gately from Boyzone came out and it was a really massive deal...But I think nowadays it’s about being comfortable in your own skin and comfortable with who you fall in love with. It doesn’t make a difference whether it’s with a man or a woman...It’s only an aspect of me, just like it’s only an aspect of [his Collabro bandmates] that they’re straight. It’s not all of who I am. I would hate for people to see me as ‘the gay one’, rather than the one who sings that line.”

Towleroad posted a clip back in April when the boyband first made an impression on the BGT judges.

Check it out HERE.

Comments

1. The hot one!

Posted by: Kyle | Jul 15, 2014 11:35:40 AM

2. The hot one!

Posted by: Kyle | Jul 15, 2014 11:35:41 AM

3. "Swishy twink comes out of closet, surprises no one."

Gay male youths deserve stronger role models than this. And if he's so concerned about normalizing homosexuality perhaps he should drop the effeminacy and act like a real man.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 15, 2014 11:37:39 AM

4. "Swishy twink comes out of closet, surprises no one."

Posted by: MaryM | Jul 15, 2014 11:37:46 AM

5. well done. as for being "the gay one" - it's merely how we're seen by those who aren't yet used to being around, and knowing Gay People.

both times i went to university i was "the first gay person' a lot of my classmates had ever known. thus, for a while in their eyes, i was "the gay guy" - and i was fine with that - because i understood that to them it was a new thing to have a gay friend, let alone daily interactions with an openly-gay person.

it's the burden those who come out have - we pick up the slack for those who refuse to stand up to be counted, we're the Gay One, because we're not The One Who's Hiding.

well met, young man!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 15, 2014 11:38:40 AM

6. and ignore the troll - he's not "masculine", he's not even openly-gay, he's a coward who (if he actually believed a word he ever typed) would be more ubiquitously-visible that I am - to Be The Example he claims he wants to see in others. those who can, do. those who can't, anonymously blame everyone else for their own lack of confidence.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 15, 2014 11:46:05 AM

7. @Rick @Marym @whoever, he didn't come out as a role model but as himself, and who are you to decide who should be a role model. He is young and his career has only begun, I think it is brave thing to come out at this point, and not 20 years from now.

Posted by: Matt27 | Jul 15, 2014 11:46:14 AM

8. Wait, you're trying to tell me they're not all gay?

Posted by: Jay | Jul 15, 2014 11:48:06 AM

9. Are you sure you don't mean "the ones on the far left, second from left, second from right, and far right"?

Posted by: Scott | Jul 15, 2014 11:49:23 AM

10. Lol, it's not the swishy one!

Posted by: Rowan | Jul 15, 2014 11:53:03 AM

11. I agree with Jay and Scott. My gaydar is notoriously bad, but every one of those guys is gay and then some.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 15, 2014 11:58:09 AM

12. Handsome, talented + charismatic, what's not to love?

Posted by: Jay | Jul 15, 2014 12:08:35 PM

13. @Marym Jamie is very masculine and has a voice deeper than most guys I know. I seriously don't get what you're talking about.

Posted by: Jay | Jul 15, 2014 12:10:48 PM

14. Jay, those who are tone deaf to their own effeminacy are equally as tone deaf to the effeminacy of others. Who, exactly, are you fooling?

Posted by: MaryM | Jul 15, 2014 12:17:41 PM

15. I don't understand why some feel it necessary to criticize someone for being effeminate. If that is how he is, let him be happy.

If not for the effeminate men who were proudly out before it was fashionable, the closet door would not be open.

Posted by: bkmn | Jul 15, 2014 12:28:26 PM

16. @BKMN - whenever a gay man denigrates perceived "effeminacy" what he's really saying is "those are the types of gay men my dad hated, and i never grew a pair and stood up to my dad"

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 15, 2014 12:29:56 PM

17. LittleCanadian, pestering the rest of us from his moral high horse he gained will living under the sheltered wing of his wealthy parents. As if he knows what's it's like to live in the real world, where effeminacy is nothing more than a hinderance and an act that only appeals to similarly close-minded liberal gays who also do not live in the real world.

Posted by: MaryM | Jul 15, 2014 12:40:12 PM

18. People,

read Little Kiwi's initial comment and compare it to MARYM's (the Bride of Rick)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 15, 2014 12:46:51 PM

19. MaryM, take a seat.

Take all of the seats.

Posted by: Mikey | Jul 15, 2014 12:46:56 PM

20. middle class. public school educated. first part-time job when i was 15 years old. i know - you're a conservative and your family hates you. and that's why you post your bile, anonymously, under various screen names - every day. and it's why you're unhealthily obsessed with me - i can do, and be, everything you can't. if i'm so effeminate then i'm WERKing it like it's nobody's business - as my life is bliss. yours is nothing - you have no life, and no love. i have pity for you. but not sympathy.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 15, 2014 12:49:11 PM

21. As long as Effeminate Gays Bully Masculine Gays for existing...Nothing moves forward....

Posted by: styler | Jul 15, 2014 1:08:36 PM

22. LOL @ "As long as Effeminate Gays Bully Masculine Gays for existing...Nothing moves forward...."

DAMN! We bullying queens are some tough b1tches, AINT we? LOL "We're not going to be shady, just FIERCE!" LOL

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 15, 2014 1:17:43 PM

23. Derrick, ain't Troll sad? yeah. effeminate gays bullying "masculine" gays. right. i've never met a "masculine gay" who hates or denigrates "effeminate gays", in my entire life. only insecure faux-macho posturing cowards do that.

but yeah. that's like "oh those mean gays are bullying and persecution Christians". except not at all.

in any way. ever. it's funny how trolls think anonymously typing "i'm masculine" on the internet makes it so. might as well say "i'm crushingly attractive and incredibly popular and everyone wants to sit with me at lunch time"

lies lies lies.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 15, 2014 1:26:21 PM

24. That you all laughlingly dismiss the persecution of masculine gays in modern gay culture paints a terrible portrait of modern gay men. Since when are we a community run by sissies?

Posted by: Styler | Jul 15, 2014 1:29:53 PM

25. That you all laughlingly dismiss the persecution of masculine gays in modern gay culture paints a terrible portrait of modern gay men. Since when are we a community run by sissies?

Posted by: MaryM | Jul 15, 2014 1:30:05 PM