Television

'Chrisley Knows Best' Star Todd Chrisley: 'Today, I'm Not Gay'

Reality show star Todd Chrisley of USA's Chrisley Knows Best has had to field gay rumors in the past, notably in a piece for People Magazine this past March. In an interview with TheWrap, Chrisley put the rumors to rest:

ChrisleyI don't believe that being gay is something you should be ashamed of. I don't believe it's something you should hide. And if I wanted to date someone, I would call you and I would ask you go to dinner with me. But right now, I'm very content in my life with where I am. Today, I'm not gay.

A somewhat perplexing choice of words that hints at bisexuality, but given Chrisley's acceptance of gays and the entire family's participation in the NOH8 campaign, it's doubtful that he's a closet supporter of conversion therapy, so hooray for another celebrity ally.

Chrisley Knows Best will resume this fall for its second season.

Comments

1. "Today, I'm not gay." Curious. He seems 100% totally gay to me but...who am I to judge?

Posted by: Gigi | Jul 16, 2014 11:21:47 AM

2. I think he meant that he's not discounting the possibility that he might be attracted to a man somewhere later down the line, rather than declare that he's 100% straight and will only be attracted to women forever.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jul 16, 2014 11:22:24 AM

3. He is married to a woman with children and committed to remaining so. I doubt he would embrace a gay identity in that situation.

Posted by: Malcolm | Jul 16, 2014 11:27:48 AM

4. Today, you're an ...

Posted by: Matt27 | Jul 16, 2014 11:40:13 AM

5. We're going to be seeing somewhat more of this. It's the new anti-LGBT political "seeking the mean", so to speak. The right-wing - and I'm sure Chrisley basically fits that pattern of existence and worldview - realizes that seeming like a mega-closet case and advocating _against_ LGBT rights has the opposite of the intended effect. It increases support for gay rights in non-closet cases. Rapidly so. I've already mentioned the comic Chris Elias using a line in his popular stand-up act "if you hate gays, you're gay". This doesn't receive uproarious cheers from gay audiences, but from straight ones. It's no longer a fringe meme, it's what most normal and happy young non-right-wing heterosexuals in the West believe. So, now, the calculation changes and what's best for Chrisley (and, alas, his family, in his mind at least) is to just hunker down in their prison of heteronormativity and try not to rock the boat. It's progress in a strange way, though not especially for him. (of course he has a heap of other trouble as well, like the bankrupcy. How he ever got a reality show is beyond me)

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jul 16, 2014 11:42:04 AM

6. bankruptcy I mean!

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jul 16, 2014 11:43:14 AM

7. He's gayer than a pink christmas tree covered in Rainbows and unicorns. Who's he kidding?

Posted by: jonnathewoodswoman | Jul 16, 2014 11:48:29 AM

8. Well, if you're "not gay today," then you weren't gay yesterday and you won't be gay tomorrow, because orientation doesn't work that way.
    Some bisexuals misspeak as if plans for an opposite-sex lunch date and a same-sex dinner date means they will be "straight for lunch and gay for dinner," but that kind of talk just confuses a public that is mostly already undereducated on such issues.
    It doesn't matter what' you do or to whom you're committed; if you're of a bisexual orientation, then you're bisexual.

And if you might actually be GAY (not bisexual) tomorrow, then that would mean you already are (and already were on your wedding day) and your wife is in for some news.

Posted by: GregV | Jul 16, 2014 11:52:58 AM

9. I don't know who he is. But he looks like a blond Paul Lynde.

Posted by: Pervy McPerv | Jul 16, 2014 12:04:20 PM

10. Who is he? Why does he have a show? Why do we care?

Posted by: Daniel | Jul 16, 2014 12:05:50 PM

11. What Daniel said.

Posted by: jason MacBride | Jul 16, 2014 12:12:10 PM

12. Ditto. I am just mystified by popular culture these days.

Posted by: Critifur | Jul 16, 2014 12:17:12 PM

13. What Daniel said too.

Posted by: Rowan | Jul 16, 2014 12:22:43 PM

14. Why all the hate? EVEN if we say the guy is effeminate it does not make him gay. Just because a man is hypermasculine does nto mean he is heterosexual. Crissley is trying to tell the world he is comfortable in his own skin, and he is not gay, so get over it. The today line is just saying that nobody can predict the future. It is very common for women to have led a staight life and never had feelings towarda a woman, until one day they do. There is always a fluidity in sexuality.

Posted by: Seanumich | Jul 16, 2014 12:23:56 PM

15. EchtKultig, get over yourself and your cheap, meaningless analysis. Did you miss the part about him and his family expressing full support for gays? Whatever his sexuality is, there is no animus in this man.

Posted by: odee | Jul 16, 2014 12:33:13 PM

16. Apparently he has never heard of the concept "bisexuality".

Posted by: Susan Jordan | Jul 16, 2014 1:16:54 PM

17. I don't care how many wives and children he has.

The GAY is very strong in this one.

Look for a flaming coming out story once the last kid turns 18.

Posted by: johnny | Jul 16, 2014 1:18:15 PM

18. Hmmmm.

Does being not-gay last for a whole day ?

Even if I'm not-gay in the morning usually by lunch time I'm back to my old gay self.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jul 16, 2014 1:19:04 PM

19. Never heard of the guy, the show or the family.

Posted by: AdamK | Jul 16, 2014 1:19:19 PM

20. I have NEVER heard of this guy or this show.

Posted by: Ted | Jul 16, 2014 1:25:12 PM

21. Odee, get over YOURSELF and your insults. It's fine that they openly express support for gay rights, but his _animus_ (look it up before your try to use it, please) is clearly what drove him to go into the closet, and what drives him to stay there. Yes, at least he doesn't publicly proclaim a moral superiority for having made that choice. That is, as I noted, a form of progress. It doesn't mean he doesn't _believe_ it is morally superior, though. Does this family attend a evangelical megachurch? I'm not going to watch the show to find out, but I suspect they do. At any rate, the logical completion of "progress" will be when an obviously gay person like this feels no need to go into the closet in the first place. No normal heterosexual man is like this, sorry.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jul 16, 2014 1:50:05 PM

22. Gay, gay, gay! Frosted blonde, Paul Lynde look-a-like and not gay today. I'm not bald today cause I put a hat on this AM. Good for a hearty laugh!

Posted by: Johnnybegood | Jul 16, 2014 1:56:43 PM

23. Faggot please! He's the gayest man on television. followed closely by his son.

Posted by: Lester | Jul 16, 2014 2:33:05 PM

24. He does seem to fall into a lot of the Gay stereotypes but still that doesn't mean he is gay. Like some of the other posts have pointed he could be bisexual. He could also just be very effeminate and straight, or he maybe he found that one woman that lit his torch. The fact of the matter is that until we gain the ability to read minds or have a psychology degree and can observe him for a long period of time without the cameras around that he is most assuredly laying it on thick for, any of our opinions are really null and void.
    And the Chrisley family have the show because we have an unhealthy obsession with rich people.

Posted by: RC | Jul 16, 2014 2:51:06 PM

25. Regardless he is gay or not , I can't understand why people don't want to come out. There are lots of baggage for gays to carry with bias, discrimination, and stigmatization. Even teens today still find it's difficult to come out due to social pressure. I will put my hope on children of young generation and hope this young energy with the demise of old stigmatization can moved this society forward.

Posted by: Ppp | Jul 16, 2014 3:24:39 PM