Business

Comcast Customer Service Guy From Hell Or Employee Of The Year? - AUDIO

After nine years of being a Comcast customer in multiple addresses, Ryan Block (not pictured above) and his wife decided to disconnect their internet service. Little did Mr. Block expect to encounter the most persistent customer service rep in all of Comcast.

ComcastPlease note: this conversation starts about 10 minutes in — by this point my wife and I are both completely flustered by the oppressiveness of the rep.

So! Last week my wife called to disconnect our service with Comcast after we switched to another provider (Astound). We were transferred to cancellations (aka "customer retention").

The representative (name redacted) continued aggressively repeating his questions, despite the answers given, to the point where my wife became so visibly upset she handed me the phone. Overhearing the conversation, I knew this would not be very fun.

What I did not know is how oppressive this conversation would be. Within just a few minutes the representative had gotten so condescending and unhelpful I felt compelled to record the speakerphone conversation on my other phone.

This recording picks up roughly 10 minutes into the call, whereby she and I have already played along and given a myriad of reasons and explanations as to why we are canceling (which is why I simply stopped answering the rep's repeated question -- it was clear the only sufficient answer was "Okay, please don't disconnect our service after all.").

Please forgive the echoing and ratcheting sound, I was screwing together some speaker wires in an empty living room!

The rep repeatedly asks Block why he's choosing to disconnect — a question Block evades for while. Block posted the remaining conversation on SoundCloud, asking the rep at one point, "Is this a joke?... Are you Punking us right now?"

While many commenters side with Box's frustrations —  even Comcast has said "[this is] unacceptable and not consistent with how we train our customer service representatives" and has promised to investigate the call and personally apologize to Block — the rep is doing exactly what he's paid to do. His job is to keep customers, not to let them go without a fight.

So somebody give this guy a raise!

Listen to the recording AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. No, no, no. No raise for you.

Going to war with your own customers - even the ones trying to leave - is a losing strategy in any business. Period. A customer leaving is already unhappy. Don't take that negative energy and weaponize it, turning that former customer into an evangelist against you.

The employee did their job poorly by taking things way too far and not have basic human decency. But the person that should be fired is whoever designed the training program for these reps.

Posted by: Rich | Jul 16, 2014 9:18:50 AM

2. As happy as I am to see Comcast get bad press, all he had to do was hang up, call back, and get a new rep. It most likely would have been a different situation. My husband I and recently moved to New York and when we called to cancel our Verizon service they rep mentioned that we could just put it on hold until we got settled. I explained that although he wasn't responsible for the company's behavior that due to the agressive attack on Internet Neutrality we would be going with a different company. He was very professional and confirmed that the call was recorded.

Posted by: Ricster02150 | Jul 16, 2014 9:24:45 AM

3. Daniel Venereal, you're the worst. Of course you would think the cs rep was great. God, I despise you.

Posted by: Carmelo | Jul 16, 2014 9:42:03 AM

4. Comcast is the worst! Since I rent and the landlord will only allow Comcast, I am doing without TV rather than give a penny to these idiots. Horrible customor service.

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 16, 2014 9:53:18 AM

5. Snark works so much better in the comments than in the actual news post.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 16, 2014 9:56:00 AM

6. I hate the phone! Can't tell you how much BS is dished out over the phone these days. I call many so called "professional" companies and they all have problematic people with major attitude problems answering the phone.

My major pet peeve is fast talkers that are all loaded on buzz drinks and caffeine, especially when they leave a message and it contains a call back number. I literally have to repeat the message over and over because every number runs together and no one could possibly write that fast or comprehend the sound of an actual real number.

True phone manners and etiquette are a thing of the past.

AND oh yeah, why do they have to play loud obnoxious music when they put you on hold....forever.

Posted by: Max | Jul 16, 2014 9:57:01 AM

7. Quote: "the rep is doing exactly what he's paid to do. His job is to keep customers, not to let them go without a fight."

No. The rep works in cancellations. His job is to assist customers with cancelling their service. I understand why a company would ask for the reason for the cancellation so they can document why a customer is dissatisfied and possibly change company policy to retain customers. But according to the customer, a reason was given and even if it hadn't been, the rep should have just performed his primary duty and cancelled the service.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Jul 16, 2014 10:00:54 AM

8. Cancellations/customer retention.

Tomaydo/tomahhdo.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 16, 2014 10:06:37 AM

9. The customer is WAAAYYYY too polite and being a wimp. I would have practically reached through the phone and strangled that guy.

Total sales/marketing assh0le.

Posted by: johnny | Jul 16, 2014 10:11:53 AM

10. Ryan Block has the patience of a saint. There is no way I would have tolerated this Johnny Knoxville tomfoolery for as long as he did. I've learned from multiple encounters with Comcast's telephone reps to hang up, go to the bathroom, fix a drink, get comfortable, call back, and ask to speak with someone "local". Eventually, I get to talk to someone in the same general vicinity. (We've actually been paying for Comcast service in a guest room that we're not getting because we don't have the patience and stamina to make one of those calls!)

Posted by: DiatribesAndOvations | Jul 16, 2014 10:15:02 AM

11. If I'm asked more than once why I'm cancelling, or why I'm not interested in whatever is being offered, I always say "my decision is not up for discussion". Abrupt, perhaps, but since when does a paying customer owe a company an explanation?

Posted by: Pete | Jul 16, 2014 10:31:56 AM

12. I found a simple solution to problems like this and it worked fine with Comcast... Once the 'live' person came on the phone I simply told him that the call was being recorded on my end as well as from his end. He was very polite and a cancellation took less than a minute.

Posted by: Dan Mc. | Jul 16, 2014 10:40:59 AM

13. i would have hung up and called back at the second sign of resistance, but i also feel sorry for the rep - i'm sure his pay is based, at least in part, on the percentage of customers he talks out of disconnecting, and he's trying to make more money (while keeping his job).

some companies make their reps try "x" number of times before taking "go to hell" for an answer, but admittedly, this rep took it way too far. the rep crossed a line that would probably prevent the customer from ever being a customer again.

Posted by: northalabama | Jul 16, 2014 11:06:59 AM

14. Yes. Be obnoxious and infuriate your customers. That's how to keep them from defecting to another service. I wonder what this kids success rate is with that methodology.

Posted by: apex | Jul 16, 2014 11:09:46 AM

15. Perhaps if Comcast treated their customers better, there would be fewer cancellations, or is that too difficult to figure out?

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 16, 2014 11:16:20 AM

16. They also have very aggressive door-to-door salesmen.

Posted by: anon | Jul 16, 2014 11:22:13 AM

17. I would rather have a set of foil wrapped rabbit ears on top of my TV than have Comcast again. To paraphrase Lily Tomlin, their company motto is: "We're Comcast. We don't care - we don't have to."

Posted by: Chadd | Jul 16, 2014 12:10:20 PM

18. They should have just said that they were unhappy with the customer service, and that it was so intolerable that it wasn't worth dealing with to have the fastest internet in the nation.

Posted by: iNorio | Jul 16, 2014 12:54:50 PM

19. the wife is veronica belmont, she has a couple of broadcasts for book clubs, sword and laser(fantasy/sci-fi books), and vaginal fantasy (romance books)

Posted by: luke | Jul 16, 2014 1:36:46 PM

20. someone should lose his job

Posted by: matt | Jul 16, 2014 2:25:24 PM

21. they should have demanded a supervisor

Posted by: matt | Jul 16, 2014 2:26:12 PM

22. folks, there's still time to comment on fcc.gov about the proposed merger of comcast and twc, until the end of this week.

just go to the website, choose case 14-57, and type a short note to let the fcc know your feelings. please, before it's too late...it's for the children.

Posted by: northalabama | Jul 16, 2014 3:25:19 PM

23. folks, there's still time to comment on fcc.gov about the proposed merger of comcast and twc, until the end of this week.

Posted by: northalabama | Jul 16, 2014 3:25:19 PM

24. @Carmelo: I think you missed Daniel's sarcasm in the vitriol bath you must live.
    ##
    This recording was amazing, and why I have never trusted Comcast enough to try. Still using phone company so-called broadband.
    ##
    As a Californian I would have threatened a complaint to Attorney General consumer protection at the second argument; amazing to think several minutes had already transpired. @DAN MC: That recording notification back at em is a good idea; I will save that.

Posted by: Terry Miller | Jul 16, 2014 3:50:05 PM

25. Are we all ('cept that Rep) just too nice? Just hang up. I don't answer calls that block numbers. I don't answer calls from 'Non-Profits' that I don't want to answer -- they only want I don't have to give. And even if you do business with a company, they are allowed to call you even if you are on the 'Do Not Call' list, I don't answer those numbers once I know which ones they are. And if they call back and you answer (!), tell them it's Harassment, and you are going to file a compliant with the FCC. (And personally, Comcast can go to Hell.)

Posted by: SFRowGuy | Jul 16, 2014 4:10:27 PM