Craig Zadan and Neil Meron | Film and TV | MLS | News | Robbie Rogers

Comedy Series Inspired By Gay Soccer Player Robbie Rogers in the Works

Robbie rogersA comedy series detailing the story of openly gay soccer player Robbie Rogers has received a production greenlight from Universal Television, Deadline reports.

The series, part of producing team Craig Zadan and Neil Meron’s deal at Universal TV, will center on Rogers’ experiences as the first openly gay man to compete in a top U.S. professional sports league. Rogers came out in February 2013 before joining the LA Galaxy team later that year.

Zadan and Meron, the openly gay duo behind the film versions of Chicago and Hairspray, will serve as executive producers for the upcoming series. Rogers will also serve as a producer.

Comments

1. Sounds more original and interesting than "Sean Saves the World" or "The New Normal". I'll be surprised if it gets picked up to series though.

Posted by: Brian W. | Jul 15, 2014 8:44:16 PM

2. So a guy who quits sports and only came back after another guy broke the mold by coming out (Jason Collins) THEN sneaks back in just in time to be the "first" and hasn't been a major factor AT ALL since his return gets a tv deal. Gee, I wonder if anything is in the works for Jason or Sam. The only reason he is getting this is his skin color. nothing more. gross

Posted by: FakeOutrage | Jul 15, 2014 10:43:11 PM

3. I hope this is being developed for network tv and not LOGO or some other chintzy cable station where 12 people will tune in.

Posted by: will | Jul 15, 2014 11:19:23 PM

4. And I'm sure the fact that he's dating Greg Berlanti had *nothing* to do with this truly terrible idea.

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | Jul 15, 2014 11:37:45 PM

5. His boyfriend got him the job. I hope to get powerful enough to do the some for my boy toy someday.

Posted by: Kissyfur | Jul 16, 2014 12:18:45 AM

6. I wonder if they will delve into the fact that Rogers considers himself a practicing Catholic?

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 16, 2014 1:01:06 AM

7. My big question: why a sitcom?! 22-minute episodes for this kind of material?

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | Jul 16, 2014 1:30:43 AM

8. I smell a flop.

Posted by: Perry | Jul 16, 2014 9:03:42 AM

9. I agree Profe...sounds bizarre. Also is this story worthy??

An upper middle class white boy becomes a pro soccer player but has to resign because he is gay at 25....

Ok, ok...I see a story but I see a TV movie or a movie. Not a series!?

Unless they change the storyline...

And I like Robbie but of course Berlanti wants his boy to be 'written in the stars'..lol.

Posted by: Rowan | Jul 16, 2014 10:35:48 AM

10. As I recall he left soccer to work full time on his clothing line, which did not work out, then got back into soccer when gay pro athletes were the pet rock of the day, had a horrid year with the LA Galaxy and now this.

On the other hand, there are plenty of things on TV that are even dumber.

Posted by: jason MacBride | Jul 16, 2014 12:17:24 PM