Dominica Says It Will Never Accept Same-Sex Marriage

The Dominica Government has insisted that the island will not follow other countries in accepting same-sex marriage.

Dominica

The Dominica Government has insisted that the island will not follow other countries in accepting same-sex marriage, reports the Jamaica Observer.

Sentences for sex between men can include ten years’ imprisonment. The penalty for attempted buggery between men is four years’ imprisonment.

SkerritIn a statement, Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said:

"I will make it clear that there are some things that this Government will not accept and we will never allow for the state to recognise same-sex marriage in our country.”

Claiming that the Sexual Offence Act of Dominica discriminates against homosexuals, activist group Minority Rights Dominica (MiriDom) has called on the Government to re-examine the law as it relates to buggery.

However, Skerrit said that while he is willing to meet with MiriDom, he does not believe that “any one group should impose any views on any other group.”  Skerrit has also dismissed reports that police have threatened to arrest people engaged in same-sex sexual activity.

In 2012, retired police officer Dennis Jay Mayer and his partner, John Robert Hart were arrested on the Atlantis Cruise ship in Dominica and charged with nudity.

Comments

1. SpaceCadet says

Well isn’t his group imposing their views on another group? Maybe someone should point out that error in reasoning to him.

2. Mike in the Tundra says

“any one group should impose any views on any other group.”

That’s what Skerrit is doing.

3. disgusted american says

I wouldn’t waste a damm penny in those hell-holes…..they can eat sand for I friggin care!

4. G McGinnis says

You cannot get any more blatantly hypocritical than that. He says, “any one group should impose any views on any other group” yet that is exactly what he is doing to the group called the LGBT community and straight people who do not share his view. What a horrible human being he is.

5. G McGinnis says

CORRECTION: You cannot get any more blatantly hypocritical than that. He says that he does not believe that, “any one group should impose any views on any other group” yet that is exactly what he is doing to the group called the LGBT community and straight people who do not share his view. What a horrible human being he is.

6. ratbastard says

At this stage there’s no excuse. Everyone, gay or not, knows what these islands are like. If they don’t hate you for being gay, they have plenty if other reasons to hate. Boycott them. There are plenty of other comparable places to go.

7. Rick says

“Don’t go to Dominica, folks”

Dominica, Jamaica, anywhere in sub-Saharan Africa, the south side of Chicago, the Mississippi Delta……

See a pattern?

8. Derrick from Philly says

@ “Why don’t you just call a spade a spade (no pun intended) and stop trying to avoid what the real issue is?”

The real issue is that no one will ever marry your 56 year old ass, Rick. So, you’ll NEVER honeymoon in Dominica…or even Atlantic City. So, shut up. That intimate part of your life is all over, Rick.

See a pattern?

9. Wow says

Wow, “Rick” – Sorry to rise to the bait, but it seems the real issue and pattern is your hatred of people of color — and of yourself.

10. Derrick from Philly says

Hey, Rick:

What about Moscow, Kiev and Southern Baptist Convention Churches throughout our country?

See a pattern?

11. Rick says

Look, I wish you people would just realize why I do what I do. I’m an old ugly white man that nobody has ever loved. Ergo, I hate blacks and people who are Out and sexually active and date and fall in love and are accepted. I hate everyone that has what I’ll never have.

Of course I say racist things ever day. I’m a coward.

12. Rick says

@Derrick from Philly

In case you missed it, Derrick, there was an article on this blog this week that pointed out that more than half of (white) Evangelicals under the age of 30 are now in favor of same-sex marriage…..

Just how desperately hard are you and your white liberal apologists going to have to stretch 20 years from now when homophobia has all but disappeared among whites everywhere, while it not only continues, but continues to worsen among blacks everywhere?

When are you, as black gay men, going to stand up to your own kind the way white gay men have, rather than allowing yourselves to be pushed around and blaming white people because it it too painful to face reality?

13. says

When are YOU going to stand up and identify yourself, “Rick”, rather than coming on here every day to prove to everyone exactly why your piece of s**t white family disowned you and never loved you?

😀

The day you face reality is the day you’ll finally off yourself. And nobody will miss you. Seriously. I know you get a kick out of this – and it’s sad to know why. You’re here to hate because not a single person in your own life ever loved you.

14. Bill says

Just as a reminder, in case someone gets confused again, when the 2012 arrest happened, a number of people commenting on it (on Queerty, if I’m not mistaken) confused Dominica with the Dominican Republic, and ended up for calling for a boycott of the wrong country.

15. Sean says

Excluding the “right” for anti-gay trash to impose on, interfere in, and control the lives of LGBT people of course. Hypocrite.

16. sy says

17. Derrick from Philly says

@ “Don’t go to Rick’s house, folks. Compared to him, Jeffrey Dahmer was a kindergarten teacher.”

Well, SY, I certainly appreciate your warning. But, you know, it would be very difficult to go to Rick’s home. We’d have to contact the authorities at New York’s Bellevue Psychiatric Hospital and find out his room number. I am not going through all that trouble to see this loon in person. No, sir.

18. Todd says

Oh look! Jamaica has another friend! No really, I can see why they will never embrace it. We have been threatening to take over the island and rename it “Fantasy Pride Island”. They simply must not allow this to happen. Where would their christian values go if we succeeded.

19. Will says

I’ve been to Dominica. It’s a beautiful, tropical island. It’s also piss-poor, backwards and entirely “redneck” with a slightly darker skin shade. These people can ill afford to turn any potential tourist dollars away, ever. Bad idea, bad leader – thank you once again American Evangelicals for your poisonous, hate-filled, non-Christian “missionary” work spreading bile and rot throughout the world.

20. JEFF YORK says

I’ve heard of all these other islands, but never heard of Dominica…who knew. Who cares.

21. Todd says

Time for western countries to post gay married and single accompanied diplomats in these backwaters. It will stir up the local haters but I applaud the strength of such soft diplomatic efforts on behalf of LGBT equality. Ambassador James Brewster and his spouse, Bob Satawake in the Dominican Republic face horrible disrespect from the Catholic church there. However, I still won’t travel to these places where there are no LGBT protections.

22. Tracey Carnahan says

I feel a great deal of anger that my child can’t safely go to certain areas of the world based on his sexual orientation. Global village my ass.