Gaming

'Dungeons & Dragons' Creators: 'Your Character's Sexual Orientation Is For You To Decide'

Dungeons & Dragons enthusiasts have always been encouraged to use their imaginations to make the fantasy game’s mythical worlds that much more real. Generally speaking the game’s capacity for creativity has been limited only by what players could dream up, but the team behind Dungeons & Dragons are pushing fans to consider worlds in which their characters might be queer.

Dungeonsanddragons-noshadow“You don't need to be confined to binary notions,” The latest edition of the Dungeons & Dragons rulebook reads. “Think about how your character does or does not conform to the broader culture's expectations of sex, gender, and sexual behaviour.”

Fantasy games like D&D have long since been a part of queer gaming culture, but the rulebook’s acknowledgement of people who might want to “play a female character who presents herself as a man” or “a bearded female dwarf who hates being mistaken for a male” marks the first time the franchise has reached out to the LGBT community. The update to D&D’s canon comes just weeks after BioWare, the studio behind Dragon Age, introduced its first canonical gay male character and Nintendo apologized for excluding queer relationships in its new 3DS title Tomadatchi Life.

Dig into the new Dungeons and Dragons rulebook right here AFTER THE JUMP...

Dungeons & Dragons Basic Rules 2014

Comments

1. I already do this with my group (though we play the much better Pathfinder setting).

With all the general depravity that occurs in such settings, it never made sense to me that the only sexuality option in the game would be "heterosexual".

Posted by: MikeKV | Jul 29, 2014 10:35:20 AM

2. I just find it funny that it took them this long to reach this point. That and they are making it such a big deal when just about all other game companies reached it back in the early 90's. Hell, one of White Wolf's biggest selling points has been it's friendliness to women and GLBT players.

Posted by: LiamB | Jul 29, 2014 10:57:53 AM

3. Nothing happens over night. Quit your bitching. This is only a good thing.

Posted by: CC | Jul 29, 2014 11:16:17 AM

4. I don't know how to feel about this news. It's great that Wizards is supportive, but anyone who thinks their characters are locked into *anything* are playing the game wrong.

Posted by: DN | Jul 29, 2014 11:37:35 AM

5. And the sales skyrocket....

Posted by: jamal49 | Jul 29, 2014 12:20:05 PM

6. My character's are always straight because it is fun for me to play a different sexuality.

Posted by: Mattattack | Jul 29, 2014 12:30:30 PM

7. Characters.

Posted by: Mattattack | Jul 29, 2014 12:31:45 PM

8. "Seriously - if you want to be that much of a rules lawyer, please don't come near my group!"

My friend's group change rules nearly every minute - a complicated and inherently chaotic system where the rules 'mutate' given certain parameters and time markers. Kind of neat to watch, actually.

Posted by: Sergio | Jul 29, 2014 1:14:46 PM

9. My group of straight friends that I play with have always been amazingly inclusive. My DM will typically throw in a dude trying to seduce my character every once in a while(sometimes with nefarious motives) for narrative flavor.

Posted by: Zell | Jul 29, 2014 4:45:21 PM

10. Have been playing since the early 80's. It never occurred to me that we couldn't have gay and trans characters.

Posted by: TGD | Jul 29, 2014 5:22:19 PM

11. Wow, didn't realize so many people still played Dungeons and Dragons.

Posted by: Brian W. | Jul 29, 2014 8:45:40 PM

12. Wow, didn't realize so many people still played Dungeons and Dragons.

Posted by: Brian W. | Jul 29, 2014 8:45:40 PM

13. Live Action Vampire: The Masquerade really seemed to open up RPG gaming within my hometown area. Back in the mid-90s our core group of D&D friends became very interested in White Wolf's games, but Live Action exploded for us! At one point our Joplin, MO group had about 100 people involved. Half were part of the game, either players or GM support. The other half of the attendees were present just to party, and provide somewhat of a background setting. The inclusiveness of all of those people, some more than others, seemed to have a profound impact on everyone. Many came around to not think the RPG crowd were as pathetically nerdy as previously thought, and many of the uptight, macho straight guy gamers realized that it was okay to make friends and hang out with the Goth and Queer peoples. Previously separate cliques of people blended with one another, and those friendships have lasted all of this time to the present day! I feel quite proud that I was one of the core organizers that helped make this happen; it was certainly not planned, but a very welcome and happy side effect. We all certainly never dreamed a nerdy Vampire game could bring a community together in such a way.

Posted by: DC | Jul 30, 2014 12:31:38 AM