Fox & Friends Host Can’t Help Laughing at University’s Gender-Neutral Bathrooms: VIDEO

Fox News Heather Nauert confused

In order to meet their growing transgender and gender-variant students, Illinois State University converted ten of their single-stall "family" restrooms into "all-gender" restrooms, which in practice is nothing more than a name change and an additional dual-gendered silhouette between the traditional male and female icons.

This was all too much for hostess Heather Nauert, who couldn't keep from laughing incredulously throughout while her staff could be heard snickering and nattering from off-camera. She concluded with, "We're all a little confused by it."

Here's the explanation: the relabeling of the bathroom acknowledges that trans people exist. Easy.

You can watch the video (preferably after putting out a pillow to prevent a headdesk-related skull fracture) AFTER THE JUMP…

Comments

1. Tyler says

And the educated people of this country can’t help laughing at Fox News. Let them giggle at the children’s table while the adults have a respectful conversation.

I’m not mad that they can’t understand gender-neutral bathrooms. They collectively barely have a high enough IQ to think beyond the cue cards they’re reading. I don’t expect idiots to understand anything.

2. Tyler says

Fox News anchors get the same tickle out of the existence of Transgender people that educated people get from the existence of Fox News dummies. And Transgender people don’t worry themselves about what Fox News dummies think because the opinions of the willfully ignorant are irrelevant to their happiness.

3. mike/ says

so this fooletta has never seen one of the thousands of bathroom signs that have both a male & female icon on it?

i remember the first several times i was in Europe. they didn’t have ‘male’ AND ‘female’ loos. they just had loos and everyone used them. that changed as they decided to “cater” to U.S. puritanical tourists. so sad…

4. Chuck Mielke says

Around Wisconsin, there’s a fairly new restaurant chain called “Collectivo.” I was surprised and pleased to see, at one such, that thy had gender-neutral bathrooms with pair of wash basins against the wall in the space separating the doors to said restrooms.

How refreshing! No distinction between those who stand or sit to pee. No implicit terror at finding a differently gendered person in the space for one’s expected privacy. So what if the Kohler company or American Standard make fewer urinals?

5. Charlie says

The law requires that single occupancy bathrooms be gender neutral in Washington DC. The issue has been one of compliance. Many business owners were unfamiliar with the law. Now government inspectors include this as part of their site inspections. The law does not require male, female, and dual gendered images be posted.

6. Moz's says

In northern virginia, single occupancy restrooms are just bathrooms for anyone and everyone……I don’t understand the labeling of single occupancy bathrooms.

7. Kevin F says

Now I know what happened to those kids who used to bully people in high school – they got jobs on Fox News.

Honestly, if this woman sat down next to me on the bus I would get up and move.

8. GregV says

“.I don’t understand the labeling of single-occupancy bathrooms.”

Agreed, it has never made any sense whatsoever. I am at Starbucks right now and I don’t understand why one says male and the other female. It should be “RESTROOM” and “RESTROOM.”
    If one has two urinals and a stall and the other had two stalls, then that’s different. If it’s a multiple-person room where some people are naked that’s different.
    But in a single-occupancy space, why refer to gender AT ALL… even to specify male/female/trans?

9. simon says

This men and women restroom distinction is really unnecessary. People don’t have urinals at home. Just install individual stalls with doors and locks. Problem solved. Of course get rid of the gaps under the partitions and maybe above them.

10. says

If they’re that confused by gender-neutral bathrooms, it’s a wonder they can get through daily life without being constantly flummoxed. But I guess the state of perpetual flummox is a prerequisite for being on FOX.

11. Another Steve says

There is absolutely no reason why single toilet bathrooms need to be gendered. Only one person is going to be in them at the same time after all.

12. stranded says

The function of modern conservatism is division both culturally and politically. Wherever they can find a meme that will create a class system between the chosen people and the boogie-man liberals who are undeserving of human decency and respect, they have an open field for their regressive contempt for anything but the most narrow ideologies. It’s an effective tribalism for low-information audiences, fed a constant stream of outrage and innuendo. After all, aren’t some people just naturally better?

13. Stephen Stillwell says

Gender neutral bathrooms were available at Harvard University when I worked and studied there in the 1980s. Why do people freak over non-issues?

14. bicurious says

Umm, the bathrooms in the dorms when I went to college 20 years ago were gender neutral. I just don’t understand the conservative interest in being willfully ignorant.

15. John says

No fan of Fox, but “all gender” is ridiculous. It is just an attempt to make nutty transgender ideology a reality. Most people react by laughing. There may be people who call themselves “neutrois” who think they have no gender and want to castrate themselves. There may be others who think they are both male and female and insist on being referred to as “they”. All these people may exist under the “t” umbrella, but that doesn’t make their beliefs anything other than insane. And no bathroom sign will change that.

16. Will says

So I read the article before watching the clip and I was expecting flat out laughing and condensation. After watching the clip I thought the anchor was insensitive but not to the level the article made it out to be.

I think if this story/anchor were on MSNBC or CNN then Media Matters would have wouldn’t have been as offended…

As for the bathrooms, I like the idea of having private powder rooms; a restaurant where I live has about 10 private mini-powder rooms off of a hallway that says restrooms. It is private, gender neutral and a better experience than the trough-like-setting that most bathrooms have for men.

17. Eric says

I think they’re laughing at the icon and not the fact that the restrooms were changed to be gender neutral. I kind of agree with her. The icon seems unnecessary. In fact, I think the icon actually does the transgender community a disservice because it focuses on body parts (male parts on top and female parts on bottom). They can avoid all of this controversy by just simply labeling it restroom.

18. BrokebackBob says

She’s just titillated by the possibility of seeing a “pee-pee” on a man for the very first time, and a little bit afraid, um, aroused, no, afraid……..

19. Thedrdonna says

@Eric, I’m much too jaded about the degenerates at Fox to assume anything other than that they’re making fun of trans folks. Maybe if they’d ever had a segment in which they treated trans folks with any respect I might be more inclined to think otherwise, but I’ve never seen any evidence of that to date.

20. steve says

I’ve seen icon marked with a male leg on 1 side and a skirt on the other like same with the changes hair from side to side.I really think that their real issue is the fact that the same bathroom is being used by both sexes, not simultaneously which is what’s so exciting in the demented little minds, rather than consecutively. they can’t having that issue play out in their teeny tiny childlike brains. I I think if the zombie apocalypse comes will be the only people left alive because they have no brains in the first place

21. steve says

22. DannyEastVillage says

In New York a number of restaurants have washrooms with private toilet compartments adjacent to a large common area with wash basins and vanities. Many places also have washrooms that say, simply, “toilet” on them.

The folks at Fox remind one of the adolescent discomfort around sex one sees in, say, 14-year-olds. Or 10.