Gay Iconography | Wanda Sykes

Gay Iconography: Why We Love Wanda Sykes

Sykescon

Humor has always been a powerful tool for the LGBT movement, both to increase the visibility of LGBT entertainers and to call out hypocrisy and injustice.

In recent years, writer-comedian Wanda Sykes has emerged as a loud, proud voice in the ongoing fight for LGBT equality. Quick-witted and sharp-tongued, Sykes style of observational humor is perfectly positioned for her to speak out on issues including same-sex marriage, homophobia and hate-speech. As an LGBT woman of color, she’s also discussed her experience in terms of gender and race.

Before her career as a stand-up comedian, Sykes actually started working at the NSA. Her foray into stand-up led her to form a friendship with Chris Rock, and she would go on to win an Emmy for her writing on his show. She’s appeared on Will & Grace, Curb Your Enthusiasm and, recently, on Amazon’s original series Alpha House. She’s helmed her own shows, Wanda At Large, Wanda Does It and The Wanda Sykes Show, as well comedy specials Wanda Sykes: Sick and Tired, Wanda Sykes: I’ma Be Me and, her recent comedy showcase on OWN, Herlarious.

Still, we like Wanda best when she gets political. Check out some of our favorite clips of Wanda talking about issues, AFTER THE JUMP

Even before Wanda came out, she addressed same-sex marriage in her routine. In the clip above from Wanda Sykes: Sick and Tired, she offers some advice to people protesting marriage equality. (Some coarse language in the clip above.)

Sykes didn’t choose to come out in a press release or magazine interview. Instead, she came out in a passionate speech at a marriage equality rally in 2008. She said: "I got married October 25th. My wife is here. I don't really talk about my sexual orientation, didn't think I had to. I was just livin' my life. Not necessarily in the closet but I was just livin' my life. Everybody that knows me personally, they know I'm gay. That's the way people should be able to live their lives really. If we had equal rights... we shouldn't have to be out here demanding something that we automatically should have as citizens of this country. But I got pissed off. They pissed me off. I said, you know what, I gotta get in your face. And that's what we have to do now. They have pissed off the wrong group of people!"

Watch what you say around Wanda. She appeared in a PSA in 2008 to get people to stop saying “That’s so gay” when referring to something negatively. The ad campaign, created in partnership by GLSEN and Arnold New York, was awarded the Ad Council’s Gold Bell for creative excellence.

In 2010, GLAAD awarded Sykes with the Stephen F. Kolzak Award for making a significant difference in promoting equal rights in the media. She was presented with the award by Constance McMillen, the teenage whose desire to bring her girlfriend to prom drove her school to cancel prom.

Sykes made history as the first openly gay entertainer at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner. (She was also the first African American woman.) She ripped into Rush Limbaugh in her act: "I hope his kidneys fail, how 'bout that? Needs a little waterboarding, that's what he needs."

What are your favorite Wanda Sykes moments?

Comments

1. When you say "Why We Love Wanda Sykes" for whom do you speak? Certainly not me.

Posted by: Ken | Jul 27, 2014 1:03:41 PM

2. She's not always on point but she usually has one and she's fun to watch getting there with her easy manner and congenial accent. She's fun because - unlike Whoopy Goldberg - there's no bitterness or real anger in her.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 27, 2014 1:26:43 PM

3. Totally LOVE Wanda in stand-up and comedic roles in sitcoms and movies. (Favorite role was on Old Christine).

But man, it was truly painful watching her on her short-lived talk show. Glad that ended when it did and she got back to what she does best.

Posted by: johnny | Jul 27, 2014 1:33:29 PM

4. @KEN Probably because you have no sense of humour. Typical con. Mirthless, bitter, joyless.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jul 27, 2014 1:56:31 PM

5. Wanda Sykes is hi-lar-i-ous. Thanks for turning me on to her.

Posted by: Jedi | Jul 27, 2014 2:01:06 PM

6. Wanda is a gay comedian. I don't think she's a gay icon, a black icon, or a female icon. She's just trying to make people laugh.

Or we can just say that everybody who's gay or gay-supportive is a gay icon and stop with these ridicuous threads.

Posted by: will | Jul 27, 2014 2:11:52 PM

7. We do? I dont find her funny in the least. And you can add Ellen G to that short list too!

Posted by: tagg | Jul 27, 2014 2:21:32 PM

8. opps...meant DeG!

Posted by: tagg | Jul 27, 2014 2:22:15 PM

9. May we someday all have the courage to comes out of the closet as publicly as she has.

Posted by: radioredrafts | Jul 27, 2014 2:29:13 PM

10. There's a line in her bit where she compares the opposition to gay marriage to the opposition to interracial marriage that still makes me laugh. "It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Mary J Blige".

Posted by: ger | Jul 27, 2014 3:23:32 PM

11. I am a very big supporter of Wanda Sykes, who has guts, speaks her mind and is hysterically funny! I am glad she is on our side!

Posted by: Bernie | Jul 27, 2014 4:21:18 PM

12. I love her bit about being a child and jumping up and down in the backseat of the family car with her siblings, and her mother turning around and hissing "White people are looking at you!" A brilliant example of something that's both funny and sad at the same time, and an incisive example of how people of color often feel every day in the U.S. She's awesome.

Posted by: Dback | Jul 27, 2014 7:21:36 PM

13. She's great and it's must see TV when Wanda is a guest on Ellen's show. You can tell they are friends outside of show business.

Posted by: Brian W. | Jul 27, 2014 11:11:48 PM

14. Love her!

Speaking truth to power, in a funny, gentle way.

Posted by: bendskier | Jul 27, 2014 11:13:44 PM

15. If you've yet to see Wanda's dropdead deadpan foil to Larry David in "Curb Your Enthusiasm", it's priceless.

Posted by: MuscleOutlaw@aol.com | Jul 28, 2014 1:01:12 AM

16. I hate to admit it, but I have never really found her to be very funny or entertaining, even dating back to her Curb Your Enthusiasm days where her main comedic responsibility was essentially calling Larry a racist.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Jul 28, 2014 2:27:36 AM

17. As a white, gay male, I simply cannot relate to the humor, perspective, or sensibilities of a black lesbian. (Sorry, but I read that in Time magazine. A 21-year old said so.)

Posted by: Hey Gurrrrl! | Jul 28, 2014 11:02:33 AM

18. Sure, Ken and Tagg, not everybody finds Wanda Sykes' humour to their taste -- but guess what, not everybody laughs their butts off at Larry the Cable Guy or Jim Gaffigan or Jeff Foxworthy, either. No performer, no actor, no comedian, no musician, no performer of any kind is going to appeal equally to *everybody* on earth -- we don't all have the same tastes in everything, so not appealing to everybody in the world is just the nature of the beast, not a slag against Wanda Sykes herself.

Posted by: Craig S | Jul 28, 2014 12:43:07 PM

19. Fantastic series of clips; so glad I watched. Thanks Bobby, thanks Andy!

Posted by: Terry Miller | Jul 28, 2014 3:57:17 PM

20. Very goos points, Craig S.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Jul 30, 2014 1:34:38 AM