Ellen DeGeneres | Film and TV | Gay Media | News

Gay Males Choose Ellen Degeneres As Favorite Celebrity Product Endorser In New Survey

A new survey conducted by brand expert Jeetendr Sehdev found that gay men between the ages of 18 and 54 favor celebrity endorsers who are smart, female, and mature, all qualities possessed by Ellen DeGeneres, who topped the list. Her Cover Girl ads in particular were chosen as the demographic's favorite of the past year.

EllenDegeneresAround 3,000 participants were polled for the survey, and while Ellen was far and away the top-rated celebrity, other contenders included Angelina Jolie, Oprah Winfrey, Sandra Bullock and, rather surprisingly, Johnny Depp.

Variety reports:

Advertisers are increasingly eager to attract this consumer demographic. In 2013, Witeck Communications and Harris Interactive estimated that LGBT adults are armed with buying power of about $800 billion and would soon exceed 16 million in number.

Widespread popularity is one attribute that doesn’t seem to be a major factor for this demo’s approval, as Lady Gaga, Justin Timberlake, Hillary Clinton, Brad Pitt and Channing Tatum were identified as this group’s least admired celebrities.

The survey entailed asking gay males to name the three celebrities they most and least admired. Results were then assigned an index number and converted to a 100-pt scale, helping illustrate how these chosen celebs stack up against each other.

Respondents were also asked about their admiration for openly gay celebs. The top five were Degeneres, Jane Lynch, Rosie O'Donnell, Tim Gunn, and Cynthia Nixon while the lowest scores went to Ricky Martin, Portia De Rossi, Adam Lambert, Zachary Quinto, and Lance Bass.

Head over to Variety for more statistical breakdowns and infographics.

Comments

1. Wow, gay men have chosen a woman as their no inspiration and then out of gay celebs they have chosen 4 women and one really camp asexual gay man....wow.

I'm not Rick but why do we NEVER address this bizarre issue in the gay world?? WTF? You're attracted to men but you are not inspired by them or even look up to them?

Would it may sense that me as a black person ONLY found white people inspirational??

You guys keep on comparing the black and gay issue...well answer?

(P.S I say this as a dude who finds many camp/dandy guys more attractive then more 'meat head' men.)

Posted by: Rowan | Jul 20, 2014 4:58:55 PM

2. Zachary Quinto is sex on a stick, how dare his name be placed adjacent to Lance Bass...ick!

Posted by: TADPOLICUS WEX | Jul 20, 2014 5:04:05 PM

3. Jane Lynch could sell me anything.

Posted by: Randy | Jul 20, 2014 5:04:25 PM

4. This is even more reason to stop with the insane notion that Blacks and Gays have ANYTHING in common! Not one person of color on the list. Gay men only see Black men as sexual items which is why I have little respect for them, if any at all. With all that's going on in the world today, why are gays so trivial??? Oh yes, that's right I forgot, because they are self serving narcissistic whiners!

Posted by: TOLD YOU SO | Jul 20, 2014 5:12:03 PM

5. I would have chosen Mikhail Gorbachev.

He's smart, fun and incredibly sexy.

If he endorsed a brand of dog food, I would buy it. And I don't even have a dog!

Posted by: Princess Lardass | Jul 20, 2014 5:12:06 PM

6. Ellen ROCKS.

Dear "Rowan", reading comprehension skills, my dear. this isn't about "inspiration" it's about "celebrity product endorser"

celebrity. endorsers. not "heroes and icons of inspiration"

so check your pathetic knee-jerk faux-outrage and accept that you got your panties in a twist simply because YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO READ.

with love, raymond

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 20, 2014 5:18:09 PM

7. Ricky is so full of himself. Lance and Adam are kinda gross. Like Zachary though.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 20, 2014 5:41:14 PM

8. Told You So: I don't see black men as sexual items. Most of the black guys I know are either already coupled and middle-aged and overweight or I'm just not attracted to them for one reason or another. I've seen a few black guys that I thought "wow" and I also think I'd buy anything from Morgan Freeman because it's like God telling you to buy it.

As far as Ellen, I can't remember any product that she has endorsed that men would buy...?

My favorite celeb endorser would be Tom Hanks or Paul Rudd if they did that sort of thing. Should I now apologize that they're white?

Posted by: johnny | Jul 20, 2014 6:27:20 PM

9. TOLD YOU SO: That's ridiculous. Exactly which famous gay black people are you thinking of that gay men should rate highly as product endorsers? And since African Americans make up 12.6% of Americans, 12.6% of the group of gay men polled should be black, although I suppose a lower percentage of black gay men may be out. Are gay black men racist about black people?

Posted by: emjayay | Jul 20, 2014 6:37:10 PM

10. Maybe Zachary Quinto rated low because no one knew who he is. He seems like a perfectly nice and intelligent guy. Did he do anything annoying I'm not aware of?

Posted by: emjayay | Jul 20, 2014 6:38:39 PM

11. I wonder which "gay males" these might be???.

Posted by: styler | Jul 20, 2014 6:42:07 PM

12. Apparently Masculine Gays don't exist??

Posted by: styler | Jul 20, 2014 6:43:06 PM

13. Speaking of people that don't exist, here's "styler" to offer his irrelevant comment about masculinity. Rick, why are you obsessed with masculinity?

Posted by: Tyler | Jul 20, 2014 7:23:38 PM

14. It would be nice if Ellen would wear something feminine once in awhile, such as even - GASP - a skirt or a dress. Even on Oscar night she looks like she's doing male drag.
    At her age she needs to start dressing age-appropriate instead of the stereotypical 'cool' lesbian look.

Posted by: David From Canada | Jul 20, 2014 8:46:59 PM

15. Hey David from Canada, show us a picture of yourself so other people can tell you how you should dress or if your 'look' is age appropriate - dumbass!

Posted by: St.Eve | Jul 20, 2014 9:00:11 PM

16. Any "celebrity" who sells his or her image and reputation to sell crap is just crap too.

Posted by: DH94114 | Jul 20, 2014 9:48:03 PM

17. Great study. I follow Jeetendr Sehdev closely. He told us about Jay Z's downfall last year before it happened. He goes to my gym... Never spoken to him but I think he's Australian or English :)

Posted by: Mark | Jul 20, 2014 10:14:24 PM

18. I love Ellen. But I have to be confused about a poll that found that gay men found ads for women's cosmetics to be their favorites, and that somehow everyone is excited about reaching "this demographic."

You could make the most exciting, admirable, witty, captivating, and riveting ad imaginable with whatever celebrity you want - say, a naked Joe Manganiello - and I'll watch the ad, but no way I'll be buying the product. Which will mean, regardless of how entertained I am, that the ad failed.

What's wrong with these people.

Posted by: Lymis | Jul 20, 2014 10:30:32 PM

19. Hey Mark! Seems like you might also need to "follow" him into the steam room.

Posted by: JACOB517 | Jul 21, 2014 12:12:49 AM

20. @Jacob517 Whose to say I haven't already? Definite hottie ;)

Posted by: MARK | Jul 21, 2014 12:26:54 AM

21. Just did a Google image search for Jeetendr Sehdev. He's definitely not a "hottie".

Posted by: John | Jul 21, 2014 4:48:30 AM

22. No surprises here--the findings just confirm what I have pointed out repeatedly.

The vast majority of gay men--and virtually all effeminate gay men--hate men, including other gay men, at the same time that they idolize and worship women, even lesbians.

This is precisely why they rarely manage to form or maintain any kind of successful relationship with another man--you cannot love a man if you hate men--and instead go from one empty sexual encounter to another, living lives of social dysfunction, replete with drug and alcohol addiction, high suicide rates, depression levels off the charts, and general unhappiness.

And most pathetically, living their lives vicariously through women that are oblivious to them and often even hostile to them, out of a deep pathology of gender confusion and emotional damage--which almost always includes hostile relationships with their fathers.

A truly sick bunch of people, sick and emotionally damaged like no other group in society--and until the underlying causes of culture of effeminacy are addressed, it is all likely to continue.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 21, 2014 10:52:35 AM

23. What I find so interesting about this study is the implications for its target group: marketers. What actual products (including services), can Ellen, Oprah, Angie, Sandy and Johnny endorse that will sell and make big profits for their clients? What do gay men between 18 and 54 "need" that the members of this group can sell them? Covergirl makeup? House plans for a u-build in Montecito? A safari suit for those long humanitarian flights to hot countries? Maybe a space suit? Day wear in a pirate-drag theme?

And what a coincidence that Towleroad posts this story on the same day that we're given one linked to Neil Patrick Harris shilling Heineken Light beer. Whatever the respondents to Sehdev's survey may have said about who they "trust," there are some smart marketers out there who already figured out who can actually sell to us. Fascinating.

Posted by: garryo | Jul 21, 2014 10:55:50 AM

24. "replete with drug and alcohol addiction, high suicide rates, depression levels off the charts, and general unhappiness"

.....and, of course, rates of sexually-transmitted diseases, including the most fatal, that are also off the charts compared to any other group. Sorry for the omission.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 21, 2014 10:56:19 AM

25. Rick, you sound like a bitter, unhappy "ex-gay", but regardless, your analysis is so off the mark and follows the right wing ex-gay talking points that make no sense.. and certainly are not what the mainstream scientific, medical and mental health professional community state...I hope you find happiness

Posted by: Bernie | Jul 21, 2014 11:03:08 AM