Film | Gaming

GaymerX Convention Future In Question Following Financial Woes

Gxgoodbye

Two years ago Matt Conn founded GaymerX, a gaming convention oriented towards LGBTQ players. The idea behind the project was to bring the vibrant queer gaming community together for a few days of celebration, conversation, and, of course, gaming. Initially called GaymerCon, Conn’s Kickstarter quickly met its exceeded its funding goal and drew backing from a number of notable video game developers.

After two successful gatherings, however, Conn announced via the GaymerX blog that this year’s con would most likely be the last for the foreseeable future. The reason, as is often the case with indie endeavors like GaymerX, boiled down to funding:

“After all the glitter and stardust was done, we took quite a financial hit from GaymerX2 – we ended up having a hotel bill alone of over $90,000, not counting A/V, lighting, insurance, flights for out of town teams and equipment rentals, and with our Kickstarter for the event only hitting 24K and with slightly lower than expected attendance, we fell into a $50K hole.”

Financial difficulties and the reneging of sponsorship from sponsor NIS America have left GaymerX’s organizers in the red and looking to rethink future events.

"I feel awful and betrayed," Conn told Joystiq earlier this week. "This just further puts a nail into our coffin if we don't figure out a revenue stream very quickly."

Undeterred, Conn is seeking support in spreading the word about Gaming In Color, a documentary focusing on queer gamers, which his team has completed and is now shopping around the independent doc circuit. Additionally Conn hopes to drum up enough interest to launch Read Only Memories, the team’s LGBTQ cyberpunk point-and-click style adventure game.

GaymerX may live on in the future, Conn says, as GaymerXJam, a smaller planning event “focused around giving all gamers the ability to make a game exploring SOMETHING queer.”

Check out the trailer for Gaming in Color and Read Only Memories AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I will fight for my rights as an equal but all these segregated events should be shut down. Lets fight among the general population. I am a gay gamer and have barely encountered discrimination. And when I do, I push back hard. The internet community has enough resources to teach people to fight back.

Posted by: TONEZ | Jul 29, 2014 1:13:58 PM

2. I will fight for my rights as an equal but all these segregated events should be shut down. Lets fight among the general population. I am a gay gamer and have barely encountered discrimination. And when I do, I push back hard. The internet community has enough resources to teach people to fight back.

Posted by: TONEZ | Jul 29, 2014 1:13:59 PM

3. If this group rally refers to gay gaymers as queer then I am glad they are going bankrupt. Let financial bankruptcy match their linguistic and moral bankruptcy.

Posted by: Brad Sorenson | Jul 29, 2014 1:14:09 PM

4. Honestly I wasn't surprised that the Convention was loosing money, while fun it still needed to build up steam and word of mouth before jumping into a bigger venue like it did in the 2nd year. Staying in Japantown or something similar would probably help sustain the convention for a few more years a least and hopefully by then it'd do well enough on its own to move to a better space

Posted by: BrianL | Jul 29, 2014 1:33:20 PM

5. Sounds like they focused too much on the "glitter and stardust" and overspent. Why not keep it smaller and grittier and then slowly build the event?

Posted by: PDX Tim | Jul 29, 2014 1:58:15 PM

6. They should just tack on an LGBT booth at E3 since it is held around "Pride Month" too.

Posted by: Sam | Jul 29, 2014 2:30:00 PM

7. I hope they have learned their lesson in overspending and that smaller, more reasonably priced conventions like this can continue.

You don't need extravagant things to make a group successful. Houston has the largest "gaymer" group, and they certainly do not host expensive conventions.

Posted by: Evan C | Jul 29, 2014 2:48:25 PM

8. Why the hell was this ever an event to begin with? I don't play Mario Kart any differently than my straight friends, why in god's name do I need my own gaming convention?

Posted by: Jmac | Jul 29, 2014 5:09:46 PM

9. If money is an issue, why hold the convention in the most expensive city in the US?

Posted by: daws | Jul 29, 2014 6:50:33 PM

10. JMAC- Gaming culture is very much so catered to the straight male, and is very homophobic and misogynistic. Of course groups like gaymerx will exist to push back on the hatred. With Mario Kart (nintendo), you can't really hear the homophobic or misogynistic comments that are used DAILY while playing online in other gaming systems like the PC or Playstation/Xbox due to the console being catered to family fun.

Posted by: Daniel | Jul 29, 2014 7:46:37 PM

11. I thought it had already been confirmed months ago that this event would be the last.

Posted by: Distingue Traces | Jul 30, 2014 12:37:09 AM