Film | Jake Gyllenhaal | Video

Is Jake Gyllenhaal's 'Nightcrawler' His Darkest Role Since 'Donnie Darko'? - VIDEO

Gyllenhaal

In what may be his darkest role since Donnie Darko actor Jake Gyllenhaal stars in the upcoming psychological thriller Nightcrawler as Lou Bloom a desperately ambitious cameraman who seeks out murder scenes, fires and car crashes to sell to broadcast television.

Apparently, Bloom’s ambition and nighttime activities turn him into a frightening creature — aided, of course, by the 20 pounds that Gyllenhaal dropped for the role. Gyllenhaal played an obsessed journalist hunting down a serial killer in the 2007 film Zodiac, but in that film he was a good guy. Nightcrawler has Gyllenhaal returning to his antihero roots where the line between good guy and monster gets blurrier with each frame .

The film also features Rene Russo playing “a veteran of the blood-sport that is local TV news.” It comes out in theaters October 17.

Watch the video AFTER THE JUMP…

Nightcrawler

Comments

1. Looks REALLY interesting, Why did he have to lose the weight to play this character, though? Does anybody know?

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Jul 24, 2014 11:51:06 AM

2. At first I thought this was X-Men news. Kinda bummed now.

Posted by: Rob | Jul 24, 2014 1:02:27 PM

3. That looks intense

Posted by: jarago | Jul 24, 2014 6:50:02 PM

4. @Michael in Toronto: the weight loss certainly makes his already huge eyes look even bigger, and gives him sharp cheekbones! But judging by the way his clothes hang off his body, in an unflattering way, perhaps it was an idea he had to show the frailness of his mind through the frailness of his body, or to heighten the sense of his obsessiveness that he's neglected his health/body, etc.? Good question. I thought the same.

Posted by: Beck215 | Aug 22, 2014 4:37:52 PM

5. Jake is really coming into his own as a fine actor of the post-Golden Age of Film period.
    I support him all the way and Maggie as well
    who is also wonderfully talented. He can do Bubble Boy, He can do Jack Twist, He can do Nightcrawler, and He can Do Himself (another film coming soon I hope)

Posted by: BrokebackBob | Aug 22, 2014 6:00:47 PM

6. When Jake carefully I hope adjusts his look, such as for Prince of Persia, his eyes change too, he is blessed with very expressive eyes and I think we will see him use him eyes to convey this character. I noticed it immediately when viewing the trailer.
    I'm buying my tickets asap.

Posted by: BrokebackBob | Aug 22, 2014 6:02:51 PM

7. This person was born to loveliness, a quality he will never be able to entirely disguise in any role. He is anointed just as was his great friend Heath Ledger. May he live and inspire us for a much longer time.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 23, 2014 2:05:25 AM