Oscar Wilde | Penny Dreadful | Reeve Carney | Television

'Penny Dreadful' Star Reeve Carney Discusses Make-out Session with Josh Hartnett: VIDEO

Werewolf_kiss

One of the biggest surprises during season one of Showtime’s Victorian horror-drama Penny Dreaful was the make-out scene between Josh Hartnett's wolfy sharpshooter Ethan Chandler and Reeve Carney's bisexual decadent Dorian Gray.

When asked about the scene during a San Diego Comic Con afterparty, Carney said:

"I knew that something like that would likely happen at some point and I figure, you know, you could certainly do a lot worse than Josh Harnett. It's probably all downhill for me in terms of any man-on-man action I might have on the show. They'll have to keep their game high!"

During the same interview, Carney said that Dorian will have a new love interest in season two though Carney claims not to know whether it will be male or female. In Oscar Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Gray, Dorian’s decline begins after he cruelly rejects the love of an actress named Sibyl Vane, but the Penny Dreadful prides itself in its departures from classic texts, so Dorian could easily move in another direction.

Meanwhile, at the San Diego Comic Con’s Penny Dreadful panel, the show’s openly gay creator John Logan discussed how his gay identity helped inspire the show where all the heroes are also potential villains:

Logan also pulled a lot from his own life to develop the original characters and then bring them all together. For example, almost all of what we've seen is rooted in Logan's experience being a gay man before it was widely accepted. Logan noted, "I realized the very thing that made me different, also made me who I am," and from that, came what the show's all about. "The monster in all of us, the thing we must embrace, the thing that frightens us, the thing that makes us who we are."

The sci-fi site io9 also has some small reveals for Penny Dreadful fans looking forward to the second season including this one: we'll finally get to see what the picture of Dorian Gray actually looks like.

Watch Carney’s interview AFTER THE JUMP…

Kiss_2

Comments

1. A very hot scene- both erotic and romantic- I wished they had just kept going...

Posted by: jarago | Jul 30, 2014 8:39:30 PM

2. This was an amazing show and Eve deserves all the awards.

Posted by: Lazycrockett | Jul 30, 2014 8:57:19 PM

3. Ditto on Eva Green being outstanding on that show.

Posted by: Mikey M | Jul 30, 2014 9:43:47 PM

4. I'm still recovering from that scene. It was so full of passion, and Josh...call me, maybe!

Posted by: Paul B. | Jul 30, 2014 10:08:44 PM

5. I'm a total unashamed Dreadful .The entire panel at comic con is worth reviewing for insight into John Logan's world and how as a 'gay man' this influences his work:

( and for those who don't follow the show -Josh Hartnett was --'on the bottom" )

Posted by: slippy | Jul 30, 2014 11:34:31 PM

6. Jeez. Gay kiss big deal. No wonder the press are still asking Michael Sam 'How is he fitting in?'

Seriously.

Posted by: Rowan | Jul 31, 2014 2:04:48 AM

7. Here is an example of de-gaying the show, completely ignoring the Ethan/Dorian hookup: A fourteen minute interview with Josh, Reeve and Harry (Dr. Frankenstein) that refers to them as "'Penny Dreadful's' most eligible bachelors". The interview has them talk about where the characters have been and where they are going, but the scene with Ethan and Dorian has been "disappeared". I find it homophobic, dishonest and censorious. http://www.hitfix.com/awards-campaign/josh-hartnett-reeve-carney-and-harry-treadaway-are-coy-about-penny-dreadful-season-2

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jul 31, 2014 10:04:00 AM