Andrew Sullivan | Truvada

Andrew Sullivan And Rich Juzwiak Talk The 'Brotherhood of Gay Sex': Audio

Gawker writer Rich Juzwiak recently guested on Andrew Sullivan's podcast and the two took part in a frank conversation about their feelings on gay men and sex. Sullivan describes their talk:

Juzwiak-banner1We actually talk about the sexual adventurism of gay men – a subculture where no women restrain sexual desire – as an often wonderful thing, regardless of the judgment that so many, including gay men, have made about it.

Juzwiak openly expressed his candid opinions:

"I know that there are consequences to being promiscuous, but I could never argue against it. I just really feel like its such a wonderful way to meet people and engender brotherhood, too. That's what I'm really into now. This feeling of brotherhood amongst gay men where I can go home with a guy and we can hang out in bed in the morning for hours naked fooling around talking, fooling around while we're talking. That I just think is just specific to gay sexuality."

Listen to a 2 1/2 minute clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Sullivan also points out that Juzwiak, who had discontinued taking the drug Truvada earlier this year, published a new piece on Gawker Wednesday wherein he explains why he's not only taking the pill again but encourages "all sexually active gay men who are negative should go on it, at least those who are in the highly populated gray area."

From the Gawker piece:

I try to be as nonjudgmental as possible when it comes to the behavior of other gay men (though I cannot refrain from judging those who judge). We are all in different places in life; we all enjoy different things. That variety is, in fact, what makes gay culture so vibrant. The choices at the disposal of those who are privileged enough to live in areas where gay is OK and where same-sex marriage is legal—these are part what make being gay so wonderful. But if you cannot deal with taking a single pill every day, you need to get a grip and reevaluate your life. After you do that, then just take the fucking pill.

The full podcast episode of the Sullivan/Juzwiak conversation is available (by subscription only) here

Comments

1. cue the sully haters in 3,2,1...

Posted by: TBD | Aug 1, 2014 11:52:21 AM

2. Rich Juzwiak

You don't know me but trust me - in my head - we're married :/

Gosh, I need to get out more.

Posted by: Happyandlucky | Aug 1, 2014 11:54:55 AM

3. I wonder how many of his "brothers" he is still in contact with 2 days , 1 week, 1 month, 1 year after their "brotherhood adventure"

Posted by: saywhat | Aug 1, 2014 11:56:09 AM

4. All of this is true. I lived this same life until I married my husband and it was great too. But what about Syphilis, Gonorrhea, HIV etc. Only fly in the ointment and it's a pretty big bug.

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 1, 2014 11:58:25 AM

5. The same argument was made about condoms that Juzwiak makes about Truvada.

Posted by: tooboot | Aug 1, 2014 12:01:33 PM

6. @SayWhat - many. i'm living proof. :)

i've met a great deal of my best gay male friends under otherwise sexually-charged encounters. a male-male system that is not afraid or ashamed of sexuality is capable of producing incredibly strong bonds and connections.

casual sex need not be "empty meaningless sex"

no shame about having met great friends from grindr. dudesnude. etc.
    what Juzwiak is describing is something a great many of us experience, and can relate to.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 1, 2014 12:12:11 PM

7. It's sad when some gay men explain that one of the reasons they're happy about being is that they don't have to deal with men. More than a little undercurrent of sexism and misogyny.

Posted by: Peter | Aug 1, 2014 12:14:05 PM

8. Sorry. They don't have to deal with women, who "limit" expressions of desire.

Posted by: Peter | Aug 1, 2014 12:14:52 PM

9. well, the way i see it, Peter, is i LOVE being gay because i get to be a part of a male-male system, where a great deal of us feel the same way about sex, and sexuality, and its expressions. that i have friends that i love, with whom i'm able to not only enjoy a sense of brotherhood and camaraderie, but expressions of sexuality, sensuality, affection, etc. and as we relate to it the same way, there's very little "so, what does this mean now that we do this?" mindsets.

laugh. bond. get off together on occasion. connect. swap stories. share adventures.

not that all women are incapable of such things, nor that all gay men ARE - as many are not. for those who are, come to brooklyn ;-)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 1, 2014 12:19:01 PM

10. I've liked Rich's work since he was doing Pot Psychology, so I've followed him for quite some time now. I think he's missing the point about the pill. It's not that taking a pill every day is such a huge deal. It's the side effects. I took it for a month some years ago as part of post-exposure prophylaxis. The diarrhea was almost debilitating. I must say that when gay men choose not to go on preventative Truvada, it's not always because they have a death wish.

Posted by: The Milkman | Aug 1, 2014 12:22:39 PM

11. "Sorry. They don't have to deal with women, who "limit" expressions of desire."

Agreed. But this is hardly new for Sullivan or Juzwiak. Sullivan may profess to be a marriage traditionalist, but it is apparent that he favours a regressive view of gay male sexuality and gender relations.

Posted by: Nat | Aug 1, 2014 12:57:07 PM

12. Littlekiwi

if you end up sick in bed can you be 100% sure he will come visit you?

a hookup/ acquaintance is quite different from a true friend

a true friend isn't just there for an orgasm or during the good times

Posted by: saywhat | Aug 1, 2014 12:58:28 PM

13. Of all the people who I would not want to be The Face of Gay, these are two of them.

The ironic thing is both of them are whores, only Sullivan's is mostly of the mercenary pundit kind, now that his milky loads days seem to be behind him (you should pardon the expression).

I don't actually disagree with anything that the non-Sullivan has to say here, it's just that he finds the creepiest ways possible to say them -- which, of course, is an asset in a post-intellectual, dumbed-down soundbite world.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Aug 1, 2014 1:03:28 PM

14. @SayWhat - i understand your confusion in that you have never experienced what I, and Juzwiak, and a great many other gay men have experienced, and continue to experience.

you're not able to reconcile them, you see them as mutual exclusives. we don't. we live it, so we know it works.

will i be sure "he" (there are more than a few HEs, btw...) will come visit me if/when I'm sick in bed? well, "he" (again, more than a few HEs) has. already. and is there for more than just orgasms.

that's the point.

i don't have that problem.

check 'em (me, us) out.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 1, 2014 1:05:39 PM

15. Littlekiwi

Your instantly going into attack mode shows your smallness and lack of self esteem, thus the need to belittle others to make yourself feel better

Sad

If you personally are finding fulfillment in your hook ups then good for you

Others prefer more intimate relationships

Posted by: saywhat | Aug 1, 2014 1:11:32 PM

16. not really. you're the one who says "oh, so will they be THERE FOR YOU WHEN YOU NEED THEM?!?!?"

to which my answer is: Yes. So far, they have been. So far, so good.

it's as if you haven't listened or read anything in here. you see "hookups" and "close friends and lovers" as mutual exclusives.

thus - missing the entire point of all of this. i get it. you've never experienced it. many of us have.

you can't reconcile that a "hookup" can lead to an "intimate relationship" and that Intimate Relationships, themselves, exist in many different ways, still imbued with incredible meaning, connection, and LOVE - while perhaps not adhering to or appearing to be in the mould of the "traditional monogamous relationship"

when you create a false binary between "hookups" and "intimate relationships" all you're really doing is telling everyone that you, personally, have yet to experience that Brotherhood of Sexuality that comes (no pun intended....) when those two spheres OVERLAP.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 1, 2014 1:15:34 PM

17. All of this presupposes a certain level of attractiveness, libido, responsibilities that can be put off, and free time (aka Youth). In the world I inhabit, many just don't fit that bill. I must be old fashioned: I might play mind games, flirt and skirt the edges of acting out, but NEVER cross the boundaries between friendship and intimacy because I'm partnered and understand the potential for emotional wreckage. Kids these days... says a 36yo fuddy duddy.

Posted by: Josh M. | Aug 1, 2014 1:37:33 PM

18. "your comments just show that you, as of yet, have been unable to make a strong, bonded and loving connection with someone that contains elements of sex, sexuality, brotherhood, and love."

That is an attack

as if I have not had your supposed wonderful experiences and don't know what love is

From my own personal experience and I stress my own experience which might be different from your own

The less attractive a person and the lower the self esteem the more they need to hook up as often and with as many different people they can

The higher the self esteem and the more attractive a person the less to do such.

Whatever, this is the internet and both you and I can be talking out of our asses with no way to verify anything

If you are happy with your life choices then more power to you

My life choices are less into hook ups and longer singular relationships that make me happy and fulfilled

Posted by: saywhat | Aug 1, 2014 1:45:23 PM

19. SayWhat - you have sand in your vagina about this. You have shown, in your comments, that you don't understand how there can be overlap. I'm not "attacking you" by pointing out that your inability to see how those Spheres Overlapping exists merely shows that you've yet to experience it.

if you'd experienced what I, Juzwiak, and many others are talking about you wouldn't be constructing straw-man arguments denigrating what you don't understand. it's that simple.

you asked if "they'd be there for me when i was sick in bed."
    the answer is: yes, they've already done that. and i for them. and for many years.

you create a false binary between "intimate relationships" and "hookups" - but that binary exists only in the minds of those who've never experienced the overlap. like you.

and now you're pretending you're an attractive person. or something.

sure thing, Blanche. ;-) i totes believe you're a knockout looker with a satisfying love life. totes ;-)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 1, 2014 1:49:46 PM

20. i think Rich Juzwiak and Lil' Kiwi would make a really cute couple.

Posted by: my2cents | Aug 1, 2014 1:50:18 PM

21. @My2Cents, i'd welcome that! WOOF!

let him know :)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 1, 2014 2:05:54 PM

22. @My2Cents, i'd welcome that! WOOF!

let him know :)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 1, 2014 2:05:54 PM

23. Kiwi has slayed Saywhat.

It's Ova.

Move on.

Posted by: Telly | Aug 1, 2014 2:06:50 PM

24. littlekiwi

I can say you are pretending that your random hookups are fulfilling with no way for anyone to verify that unless they are your therapist

You do see a therapist I assume.

Posted by: saywhat | Aug 1, 2014 2:08:50 PM

25. Hey Saywhat

"Any certified therapist will tell you that a large number of sexual partners is the surest sign of you needing to work on something within yourself"

Prove it anonymous hall monitor.

Posted by: Telly | Aug 1, 2014 2:10:10 PM