Comic Books | Marvel | News | Thor

Marvel: Thor to Undergo Gender Change

Thor

Marvel announced today that its iconic character Thor will be relaunched in a new series, as a woman:

“The inscription on Thor's hammer reads ‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’ Well it's time to update that inscription,” says Marvel editor Wil Moss. “The new Thor continues Marvel's proud tradition of strong female characters like Captain Marvel, Storm, Black Widow and more. And this new Thor isn't a temporary female substitute - she's now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!”

Added series writer Jason Aaron: “This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before.”

Comments

1. Yeah, that's going to last forever.

Posted by: Lymis | Jul 15, 2014 2:36:55 PM

2. Don't they already have the Valkyrie, Lady Sif; why do they need to make Thor a woman?

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jul 15, 2014 2:40:21 PM

3. Sorry Marvel, the Chris Hemsworth version is the one I'm going to remember...

Posted by: Dave in PA | Jul 15, 2014 2:44:44 PM

4. I raised my head with a stoic look but all of a sudden my hammer got really heavy, crashed to the floor, and I can't wield it any more!

Trouble in Asgard, to say the least. I mean, is Chris Hemsworth out of a job?

Posted by: edude | Jul 15, 2014 2:48:26 PM

5. I raised my head with a stoic look but all of a sudden my hammer got really heavy, crashed to the floor, and I can't wield it any more!

Trouble in Asgard, to say the least. I mean, is Chris Hemsworth out of a job?

Posted by: edude | Jul 15, 2014 2:48:27 PM

6. Not into it.

Posted by: Jon B | Jul 15, 2014 2:53:58 PM

7. I think women are terribly under-represented in comics. Not sure whether this is the right way to fix it, but I'm glad Marvel's trying.

Posted by: Dan E | Jul 15, 2014 2:55:22 PM

8. This is all well and good, but acting like it's a world-shaking permanent change is silly -- these big reboots are usually returned to the original design in less than a year (think of long-hair Superman, venom-costume Spidey, etc etc)

Posted by: Distingue Traces | Jul 15, 2014 2:58:59 PM

9. Next up: "Wonder Man"

I miss Divine; that would have made for ideal casting.

Posted by: Rad | Jul 15, 2014 3:13:32 PM

10. the kluwe lawsuit and nowt this! vikings are not having a good day.

Posted by: woody | Jul 15, 2014 3:36:26 PM

11. Looks kinda awesome to me.

Posted by: Lucas H | Jul 15, 2014 3:58:31 PM

12. This is like rewriting Repunzel a guy: a horrible idea. In theory it works, but sometimes gender roles are actually fitting, especially when the lore you're rewriting is thousands of years old.

Posted by: Garst | Jul 15, 2014 4:06:28 PM

13. This is like rewriting Repunzel a guy: a horrible idea. In theory it works, but sometimes gender roles are actually fitting, especially when the lore you're rewriting is thousands of years old.

Posted by: Garst | Jul 15, 2014 4:06:28 PM

14. in the myths Thor dressed as Freyja to get Mjölnir back

Posted by: Moz's | Jul 15, 2014 4:08:20 PM

15. Are we being trolled?

Posted by: Randy | Jul 15, 2014 4:20:43 PM

16. PC crap running wild.

Posted by: Perry | Jul 15, 2014 4:26:20 PM

17. Thor was a frog (no really) for a while so this may not be the most shocking change for the character.

Posted by: LegionTonyL | Jul 15, 2014 4:33:41 PM

18. PC crap my ass. Marvel is rebooting it's continuity next summer or after Avengers 2. They can let their writers do anything in this interim period.

I'm sure it will be good. I don't know if any of you are comic fans but all comics are pretty good now. There aren't any comics in the "main" continuity that are not telling a contained story, they still do annoying crossovers but it's not like any comic book is going to be bad. People get so bizarrely invested in this crap. If you like Thor you will like any Thor story, and if you have liked Thor then you know that he has a billion exception stories.

Posted by: Fenrox | Jul 15, 2014 4:35:02 PM

19. I'm not so much of a nerd that I read comics, so this doesn't really affect me, but I wonder if Thor will be post-op or if he'll have to tuck his junk...

Posted by: Arkansassy | Jul 15, 2014 4:41:21 PM

20. GARST: Why couldn't you tell the Repunzel story with Repunzel being a guy. Repunzel, the prince, is gay and likes to wear his hair long. His father, the King, disapproves of his son's sexual orientation, so he locks him in the tower. Repunzel's hair continues to grow, until a handsome prince comes along to rescue him etc. etc. etc.

Or let's make Prince Repunzel straight. He's totally into the Princesses, but he wants to grow his hair out, which the King is not having. The King says, "I'll lock you in the tower until you cut that hair," but the prince won't do it, until one day along comes the warrior princess/peasant girl/etc. to save him from his tyrannical dad.

Either way is an interesting update of a classic fairy tale, which contribute to the mythos while putting a new and different spin on it. And I'm sure a female Thor will do the same thing.

Posted by: Alexander | Jul 15, 2014 4:54:01 PM

21. Thor has been represented many different ways over the years, both as a native-born Asgardian and as a mortal imbued with god-like powers by an alien artifact. This storyline falls in the later continuity, and the only innovation is that Mjolnir has found a woman worth of such power.

Posted by: Gregory in Seattle | Jul 15, 2014 5:30:06 PM

22. Well, not so much a gender change as a character change. Old Thor loses the hammer and a woman picks it up and is found worthy, becoming the new 'Thor.'

Posted by: LiamB | Jul 15, 2014 5:30:48 PM

23. What?! I rather see a gay and proud Thor

Posted by: jarago | Jul 15, 2014 5:32:12 PM

24. " But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before.”

Except in the Marvel Versus DC comic from a ways back where someone (Superman?) punches the Hammer out of Thor's hand. Many characters attempt to pick it up but only one is judged worthy by the hammer: Wonder Woman. Becoming Wonder Thor!

Posted by: Anthony | Jul 15, 2014 5:38:13 PM