New Series ‘The Flash’ To Feature Two Gay Characters

6a00d8341c730253ef01a51178c069970c-800wi

The CW’s new Arrow spin-off The Flash, starring former Gleek Grant Gustin as the eponymous superhero, will feature at least two gay characters in its first season. Out gay writer/producer Greg Berlanti (no stranger to LGBT friendly content, and current beau of America’s first openly gay MLS player, Robbie Rogers) along with fellow Flash executive producer Andrew Kreisberg spilled the beans to The Huffington Post:

Berlanti noted that David Singh, a gay DC Comics character, will be part of the "Flash" TV universe: He will recur on the show and will be played by Patrick Sabongui. The producers said that in the episodes sketched out so far, "we haven't dealt with that" aspect of the character, who, in the Arrow comics, is Barry Allen's supervisor in the Central City crime lab.

But Berlanti and Kreisberg added that, in addition to Singh, another gay character will be introduced in the first half of Season 1 of "The Flash" — a man who already exists in the DC universe (I tried to get them to name the character, but they didn't take the bait). Of course, fans of "Arrow" know that show already has a LGBTQ character in Nyssa Al Ghul (Katrina Law), who was introduced as a former lover of Sara Lance (Caity Lotz).

As reported yesterday, The Flash will also feature openly gay actor and writer Wentworth Miller as bad guy Captain Cold.

Comments

1. Hal Shipman says

That second character is likely the Pied Piper (Hartley Rathaway), since they seem to be building up the roster of Flash’s Rogues Gallery from the comics. Piper is a reformed villain with a social justice focus (particularly homelessness). Piper has been out as gay in the comics for a number of years.

2. Nora Charles says

3. Thomasina says

And, of course, the actor who played the Flash in the 1990s series–John Wesley Shipp–is also openly gay and on this new show as well, playing the Flash’s father.

4. Profe Sancho Panza says

I’ve been away from The Flash comics for so long that I didn’t know the Pied Piper had reformed (or come out!). But I like the look of this. Crossing my fingers for Mirror Master, though.

5. Lymis says

“I’d say “Arrow” has two lesbian characters — Nyssa al-Ghul and Black Canary (Sara Lance). I mean, if Nyssa is Black Canary’s lover, then Black Canary is by definition Nyssa’s lover too. Right? Am I being a pedantic jerk?”

Close. Black Canary is also Oliver’s on-again-off-again lover, so she would be bisexual.

Her absolutely adorable, clearly butch pal Sin (played by Bex Taylor-Klaus (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4545813/) sure pings as gay, though.

6. SpaceCadet says

Why not just make The Flash gay? Now that would be bold. I think it’s pretty cool Wentworth Miller will be on the show. I haven’t seen him act in awhile. And yes, I know, he is primarily a screenwriter now.

7. says

Well at least Berlanti isn’t waiting for season TWO of Flash to get us represented out there. He kept talking a good game about it with the Tomorrow People and look where that got us? Nowhere – ti was cancelled after it’s first season. Way I figure it, if they’re gonna cancel you after one round (many shows don’t get more than that much of a chance any more) then go for broke out the gate. Balls to the wall baby – go big or … yeah, well, you get the picture. Glad to see that he’s putting his money and opportunity out there from the get-go. What a wasted opportunity it was with TTP.