New York Giants Hire Anti-Gay NOM Spokesperson David Tyree as Director of Player Development

Tyree

Towleroad readers will know former New York Giant David Tyree from a series of posts back in 2011 in when he became a spokesperson for the National Organization for Marriage (NOM).

GiantsHe has now been hired by the Giants as the director of player development.

Said Tyree in a video for NOM in 2011:

“Marriage is the only relationship that actually mirrors a relationship with God — it’s very unique in that way…If they pass this gay marriage bill…what I know will happen if this does comes forth is this will be the beginning of our country sliding toward…anarchy…That will be the moment our society loses its grip with what is right…I don’t believe that truth is subjective…If you redefine [marriage…it changes the perception of what is good, what is right, and what is just…”

Tyree later went on to say that he would trade a Super Bowl win to stop gays from marrying and expressed concern for his kids:

“I don’t want my kids to think homosexuals are normal.”

Tyree is also an advocate for gay conversion therapy, NJ.com reports:

His more divisive views — like somebody can change their sexual identity through therapy — came to light via a series of Twitter messages from 2011 first reported by NJ.com.

“I’ll never be a former black,” Tyree tweeted in June 2011. “I have met former homosexuals. That’s the truth.”

The tweets — along with his crusade for years against gay marriage — drew a strong rebuke Tuesday by the Human Rights Campaign, both in a response to an inquiry from NJ.com and in a press release Tuesday evening.

“When did Tyree decide to be straight?” asked Human Rights Campaign President Chad Griffin in a news release. “The idea that someone can change their sexual orientation or gender identity is ludicrous, and the New York Giants are risking their credibility by hiring someone who publicly advocates this junk science. His opposition to basic legal equality aside, David Tyree’s proselytizing of such dangerous practices goes against the positive work the Giants organization has done in recent years.

The Giants said in a statement that Tyree “was expressing his personal view, and that is not the view of the Giants organization.”

Watch Tyree’s video for NOM and an ESPN report on the hiring and backlash, AFTER THE JUMP

Comments

1. says

Checking the NY Giants website for a contact email to express my decision to block all NYGiants broadcasts, I find nothing. The contact page results in a 404 ‘does not exist’ error. Obviously the NYGiants could give a crap about what their fans might have to say. Say it with your dollars and divert those dollars to the RAMs where being gay is good. We LOVE the RAMS!

2. Bill says

Calm down guys. Let’s see what he says now that he is working for an organization where being anti-gay is not a good idea.

If he has to publicly make gay-friendly statements as part of his new job, showing those videos juxtaposed with the NOM ones would make it obvious that simply because a spokesperson says something, doesn’t mean he/she believes it.

3. Derrick from Philly says

@ “Another uneducated minority athlete talking about things he’s too stupid to comprehend. Good luck explaining yourself, caveman.”

Too bad he doesn’t speak heavy “ebonics” then you’d really nail him ROBERT.

I disagreed with everything Tyree said.

Is Starnes just another majority pundit too stupid to comprehend….

4. ppp says

It’s ok to hire advocate of conversion therapy , and it’s ok to express bias and misunderstanding under the name of freedom of speech. However, it’s not ok to express bias and misunderstanding to black because it’s not freedom of speech, for example, Donald Sterling

5. Paul B. says

He has a brain the size of a green pea…a number of concussions no doubt…and although I would like to stick my sausage in his lovely black mouth…who cares what he “thinks” about anything? And I use the word “thinks” loosely.
    Derrick…is it still OK to say “black”?

6. Markt says

Why is he so sure conversion therapy can work? No professionals think it can. Or maybe he uses mind control himself in the hope of keeping his own gay away. Hot dude probably knows he would immediately get action.
    The religion thing is just not correct. The bible really doesn’t support an anti-gay stance. Unless you read the Old Testament selectively. He must know that as it’s repeated a lot.
    If he needs to explore to be sure he’s not gay – I can help.

7. Michael says

Things change. Societies had slaves for thousands of years and it wasn’t until recently that that changed. People like this guy would have said the same things back then : “foundation of civilization is being destroyed blah blah this is a form of anarchy blah blah”

They don’t get it …

8. Derrick from Philly says

@ “Derrick…is it still OK to say ‘black’?”

For you and Robert? No.

@ “I would like to stick my sausage in his lovely black mouth…”

Are you talking about David Tyree or Michael Sam? They both have black mouths–whether you noticed. With either one–if you do that, I hope you have life insurance.

I repeat that I disagree with EVERYTHING Tyree said. But if you want to get “racial” then I’ll go there with you.
    And I will match your insults.

Yes, a nasty exchange of racial insults on Andy Towle’s blog. What else is new?

9. TheSmokingMirror says

F*** the New York Giants, and f*** David Tyree.

Put on some Caucasian makeup and be Ex-Black, Tyree. You’ll look more normal.

I don’t want open blacks around my kids, it disgusts me.

If blacks are allowed to speak and express themselves openly like this, the country will slide into anarchy and destruction.

10. Paul B. says

@Derrick…Tyree happens to be today’s ignorant black spokesperson. Tomorrow it will be someone else…maybe black, maybe white…who cares. Would you like to call him something else dear? Still, having identified him by color…do I stand guilty of bigotry?

11. Ali says

@Robert

For every uneducated minority athlete talking about things he’s too stupid to comprehend there are multiple majority elected officials doing the same, plus attempting to make law that negatively impact your citizenship. Do you suggest that there is something inherently wrong with their “race”?

12. Derrick from Philly says

@ “I’m yummy for black…does that make me a bigot too? OMG…maybe we should just call him dark beige.”

Again, who? Tyree or Sam? One is a religious fool and the other is a brave Black Gay athlete. But they’re both Black. Didya’ notice?

This is funny :-)

13. Paul B. says

@Derrick…you’re not reading well today. The first word of my comment was “Tyree”…so maybe that’s who I’m referring to, ya think?
    Come on Derrick…the black thing is done…move on. We’re on your team…forget the wackjobs…I mean most of us. The one’s that count. You’ve got that chip on your shoulder all the time…and it’s rarely needed here.

14. Carlie says

Response from the Giants GM: “Most of all, I believe [you] should mind [your] own business and try to keep the plank out of [your] own eye. That’s what I believe in the most.”

15. Padraig says

Uh oh: ” The lady doth protest too much,methinks.”Credit : Hamlet by Shakespeare. Future headline: former baseball player David Tyree caught in sex scandal,on all fours as a gang bang BOTTOM !!!

16. Delicous says

@PADRAIG You’re so brilliant and not at all trolly to use gay-shaming against homophobes on a gay blog – you know, because we ALL know that ALL homophobes are gay without exception. No examination or critical thinking needed. All those mobs, gay bashers, systemic discrimination from legislators, police, religious leaders, ‘concerned mom’ groups, ‘family values’ groups, mobs at least 300 000 strong, they’re ALL gay. ALL OF THEM! All the homophobes are gay. Just shout “Gay face” and you’ve made a super smart observation.

It’s not like there are ANY heterosexual homophobes; that just doesn’t make sense. It’s not like cultures the world-over have been steeped in homophobic propaganda for thousands of years telling people that gays are predators etc. It’s not like any heterosexuals could BELIEVE such lies, right..?

PADRAIG, In the word of Adore Delano; F@#$ off, F@#$ all the way off!

17. Phil says

Again, I will say take religion out of it. Does he not mind people getting married in Las Vegas at a drive thru wedding chapel by an Elvis impersonator – is that okay to have allowed/legal? This is not a religious issue.

18. Michael says

Are 2 of Tyree’s 4 children bastards? After all, they were conceived out-of-wedlock. That’s the Palin Family Values for you these days.

19. Derrick from Philly says

LOL @ MICHAEL,

good point. Tyree’s a FORNICATOR. Jesus spoke out against fornicators…didn’t say a thing about homos–like Paul B.

:-)

20. simon says

What made a former athlete an expert on gay stuff or therapy? I don’t get it. Of course you don’t need any qualification to be a NOM spokesman. At least now he gets a real job.

21. Michael says

@Simon: Easy answer. He fathered two bastard children, then he “found Jesus.” Isn’t that all the authority and experience one needs to condemn gays to Hell?

22. Robert says

“But, ROBERT, you want to talk about his minority status. Why didn’t you comment about anti-Gay Todd Starnes–only two news stories ahead of this one on Tyree?”

Uh, because he works for Fox News, where you’re required to be an idiot and a homophobe??

And I will ALWAYS point out when a minority is being a BIGOT because they should F’ING KNOW BETTER. But once again, they’re too stupid to realize it.

23. Derrick from Philly says

@”….when a minority is being a BIGOT because they should F’ING KNOW BETTER.”

Yes, Robert–that’s true. And that goes for all the White Gays who don’t like the Coloreds, right.

Why do I feel like talking like Shirley Temple right now.

24. Kyle says

“The Giants said in a statement that Tyree ‘was expressing his personal view, and that is not the view of the Giants organization.’

I wonder if they’d take such a nonchalant attitude toward bigotry if a white coach had made comments denouncing marriages between inter-racial couples?

25. Paul B. says

Yes, Derrick…I’m sure Robert would agree with you, and so would I…and that nasty ever-present chip you wear on your shoulder. Really bi$ch…get some kind of help with that attitude…it’s holding you back. You’re black, we got that. You’ve had your share of BS from the whites, esp. from the homo-whites who don’t do black…check, check, check.
    And now it’s time to grow up because the reason you’re sounding like Shirley Temple is because you’re still a little child.

26. Derrick from Philly says

LOL @ “…and that nasty ever-present chip you wear on your shoulder. Really bi$ch…”

Ha! Chip? No, more like a tree trunk. But it AINT none of your business until you make anti-Black statements on Towleroad. Then I have to “read” you.

27. Derrick from Philly says

“…from the homo-whites who don’t do black…”

LOL. What? I don’t want to know the ones who do do black.

LOl…What are you talking about?

28. Paul B. says

Derrick…the only “anti-black” statement I made was not towards blacks…just you! Get over yourself…you’re black, you don’t like whites, you’re bitter and you’re nasty. That’s just you Derrick…not “blacks”.

29. Joe in Ct says

This man’s views make him virtually unemployable as a spokesperson for most mainstream corporations, yet the Giants hired him. Amazing. Let’s hope they don’t double down on the stupidity.

30. SpaceCadet says

Yeah, what ChocolateBearCub said. A man of a racial minority status makes anti-gay comments and like clockwork the comments here devolve into race-baiting. Because a person of color should know better? Uh huh, right. Has that actually ever been the case throughout history? Yes, while being a minority can make you more sensitive to the plight of other minorities, often you’ll one minority group disparage another minority group because it’ll they think it’ll help them assimilate more into the mainstream. And especially where homosexuality is concerned a lot of minorities will condemn it because they still believe it’s something you can change as opposed to being born with a skin color. And if someone who’s a minority should really know better then to be anti-gay, then what’s up with all of these racist homos I observe in person or on-line, you know the “NO BLACKS” or “ONLY WHITE” profile people?

31. says

There’s a difference between what gets you up at night and what being a credible spokesperson is. Have a bit more intellectual honesty than that, people! >_<

Cadet, you had me up until your last sentence, then you went off into frothing-nutcase-land. You made the perfect case as to exactly WHY people of minority status should know better, especially in this age of technology where *nobody* has an excuse to be outside the realm of knowledge.

32. laguna_greg says

“”I’ll never be a former black,” Tyree tweeted in June 2011. “I have met former homosexuals. That’s the truth.””

NO he hasn’t. He’s met guys who are deeply in the closet, and he’s so scared of his own sexuality he can’t tell they’re lying to him and themselves. In a few months, those “ex-gays” will be cruising parks and lying to their poor wives.

33. says

Tweet @TheSteveTisch and @EmTSuss. Family owns the NY Giants- NY’s Tisch family (Loews Corp). Steve Tisch Hollywood producer; Emily is his niece & works at liberal Center for American Progress. Both liberal, good people. They need to hear from you.