Comic Books | Gay Marriage | Kevin Keller | News | Singapore

Singapore Bans Archie Comic Book for Depicting Gay Wedding

ArchieState media censors in Singapore have banned the sale of an 2012 Archie comic book that features the marriage of gay character Kevin Keller – part of the country’s recent crackdown on any publications discussing homosexuality.

TIME reports:

Singapore’s Media Development Authority (MDA) censored the comic book, first published in January 2012, earlier this year, but the ban is only just now coming to light — a week after another state agency removed three children’s books promoting tolerance of same-sex relationships from the national library’s shelves. […]

In its guidelines for imported publications, the MDA prohibits comics and other illustrated material that depict or discuss “alternative lifestyles or deviant sexual practices,” listing homosexuality as an example of such (alongside “group sex and sadomasochism”).

In other “Archie” comic news, this week’s conclusion of the “Life with Archie” series found Archie Andrews shot and killed during an assassination attempt on his gay friend Kevin Keller.

Comments

1. Nazi savages

Posted by: Sean | Jul 18, 2014 9:41:31 AM

2. Third world country, third world mentality. Neanderthals of almost the highest order. Uganda actually takes the prize on fourth world, neanderthalism.

Posted by: ToThePoint | Jul 18, 2014 10:06:43 AM

3. I'm not certain how much any person in Singapore would relate to anything in an Archie comic book, gay or straight, so somewhat a moot point.

Posted by: johnny | Jul 18, 2014 10:37:35 AM

4. I'm not surprised; I don't agree with the state's censorship - I'm not surprised. Even when I read their "Mens Health" it's pretty tame and sedate.

Orwell would be proud. New speak and all that.

Posted by: RK | Jul 18, 2014 12:01:47 PM

5. Banning the sale of a 2012 comic. Way to stay on top of things Singapore.

Posted by: Richard Harney | Jul 18, 2014 1:31:03 PM

6. Come on Singapore. Gum I can understand. But books? You really want to go down this road that Ray Bradbury so eloquently described? I actually read (and still have) Anthony Burgess The Wanting Seed. Which doesn't portray LGBT in a positive light. However, I still feel it's necessary to read it. Do you see me wanting it banned??

Posted by: MickyFlip | Jul 19, 2014 11:45:12 AM