Anti-Gay Activist Gary Glenn Wins GOP Primary in Michigan House Race
Gary Glenn, president of the American Family Association of Michigan, has won a GOP primary for a seat in the Michigan state House this week, Right Wing Watch reports:
Glenn was a prominent supporter of Michigan’s 2004 constitutional amendment banning marriage equality and was a big backer of his “very special friend” Mike Huckabee’s 2008 presidential bid. As the head of the American Family Association’s Michigan affiliate, Glenn has pushed any number of extreme anti-gay positions.
Among those anti-gay positions:
- Wants states to be able to recriminalize homosexuality: “[W]e believe that states should be free to regulate and prohibit behavior that’s a violation of community standards and a proven threat to public health and safety — including, as most of the United States did throughout its history, homosexual behavior.”
- Warned that companies should be wary of hiring LGBT people.
- Wanted public schools to ban Gay Straight Alliances because they promote “homosexual propaganda” and “risky behavior.”
- Called anti-bullying measures the “Trojan horse” of “homosexual activists.”
- Was a plaintiff in a lawsuit to stop the 2009 federal hate crimes law by falsely claiming it would criminalize the Bible.
Glenn will face off against Democrat Joan Brausch in November for the seat being vacated by State Rep. Jim Stamas (R).