Florida | Gay Marriage | News | Pam Bondi

Appeals Court Rejects Florida AG Pam Bondi's Request to Hold Off On Gay Marriage Rulings

Yesterday, a state appeals court rejected Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi's request that state courts stop considering same-sex marriage cases until the U.S. Supreme Court decides whether states have the right to ban gay marriage.

The Miami Herald reports:

Bondi“Upon consideration, appellant’s motions to stay briefing are denied,” the Miami-based Third District Court of Appeal said in a terse ruling Thursday.

“That is the best news of the day. We would have been sitting in limbo for an undetermined amount of time,” said attorney Bernadette Restivo, who represents Aaron Huntsman and William Lee Jones, two Key West bartenders who on July 17 won the right to marry in Monroe County Circuit Court. “Pam Bondi’s stay would have caused enormous irreparable harm to the plaintiffs and others similarly situated. Every day that we move forward in this case will hopefully mean we are moving closer to ending this oppressive discrimination.”

Said Bondi’s spokeswoman Jennifer Meale: “The Court has ruled that the case will move forward, and we will proceed accordingly.”

Following last week's federal court ruling overturning Florida's gay marriage ban, Bondi vowed to continue defending the ban in court, saying "I am just getting started"

Comments

1. Pandering to the Florida conservative base with the "I'm just getting started" line will probably backfire. A good hunk of Florida's conservatives come from the NE. It's a different mentality than southern conservatives. Her meanness and stupidity will look worse as time goes on.

Posted by: Markt | Aug 29, 2014 10:03:33 AM

2. What kind of AG is this person? I can't defend this successfully so hold off until the Feds take care of it for me, and I can pretend I did my best. Disgusting.

Posted by: Tigernan | Aug 29, 2014 10:24:10 AM

3. We just want the marry at least once Pam Bondi. I mean you're on marriage #3 (I forget, sanctity of marriage woo hoo !) - maybe you forgot how important it is to some people.

Posted by: Jake | Aug 29, 2014 10:32:03 AM

4. "I am just getting started?"

Only because you're being FORCED to do you job!!

Posted by: wct | Aug 29, 2014 11:02:50 AM

5. What a waste of people's precious time! Whose money is she spending, btw?

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Aug 29, 2014 11:05:13 AM

6. She probably thinks she is building a name for herself.. and she is! but what a name...

Posted by: Hank NYC | Aug 29, 2014 12:40:01 PM

7. Blondi can just ask the state court to disband itself.

Posted by: simon | Aug 29, 2014 1:08:46 PM

8. Ms Biondi, you're just getting started. We are not. You're a sellout with no integrity whatsoever, because you know you have no legal chance of winning. You're appeasing your party. You're a loser. You always will be.

Posted by: Dattexas | Aug 29, 2014 1:18:45 PM

9. Not that you'd know any of this if you watched the local news. I've tried to find references to these cases, but apparently republican talking points and abandoned puppies are far more important.

Posted by: Robert | Aug 29, 2014 1:42:31 PM

10. It is surprising republicans and abandoned puppies belong to the same sentence. Or the same TV audience.

Posted by: simon | Aug 29, 2014 3:34:39 PM

11. and here is hoping Ms. Bondi is getting finished!

Posted by: Bernie | Aug 29, 2014 6:00:30 PM