Arkansas | Dustin McDaniel | Gay Marriage | News

Arkansas AG Asks Judge to Keep State's Gay Marriage Ban in Place

McdanielArkansas' Attorney General Dustin McDaniel is asking a federal judge to keep the state's ban on same-sex marriage in place, arguing the ban is constitutional and serves a legitimate purpose.

Arkansas News Bureau reports:

In a brief filed Wednesday, McDaniel's office argued, "The United States Supreme Court has recognized a bevy of legitimate state interests that are directly implicated and furthered by Amendment 83 and Act 144 of 1997."

The attorney general's office argued that those interests include preserving the referendum process; advancing procreation; promoting stable family environments in which children are raised by their biological parents; preserving social norms linked to the historical and deeply-rooted meaning of marriage; and taking a cautious approach to governmental social experimentation.

In May, McDaniel announced his support for marriage equality but pledged to defend his state's ban on same-sex marriage.

Comments

1. A. Procreation seems to be going swimmingly already without promoting.
    B. Straight couples all too often get pregnant accidentally so some not wanted.
    C. The real meaning of marriage has been lost in divorce.
    D. WE ARE NOT A FREAKING SOCIAL EXPERIMENT!

Posted by: ToThePoint | Aug 1, 2014 1:50:40 PM

2. This coming from the man who got caught having an affair while running for Governor and dropped out!!! I don't think he knows what he's talking about!

Posted by: Alan | Aug 1, 2014 2:15:18 PM

3. What a bunch of baloney... he must be afraid of his own constituents.

If so many courts have ruled one way, at this point why not throw in the towel?

I'm so sick of politicians trying to have it all ways.

Posted by: pete n sfo | Aug 1, 2014 2:28:39 PM

4. If they allow marriage equality, before you know know it, people will be marrying their cousins.

Posted by: David | Aug 1, 2014 2:45:40 PM

5. I bet that'd be confy. Why expand dignity and respect to all families?

Posted by: Jay | Aug 1, 2014 2:54:01 PM

6. "I'm all for marriage equality but, dang it all, I just have to stick to the letter of the law on this one. There's a lot of other ones that I can let slip and even screw around on my wife once in a while, maybe not declare all of my income sometimes, little stuff like that. But letting someone do something to legalize their relationship which has no effect on me whatsoever and is against our current law? No way, sorry, just can't see my way clear to do THAT!"

Posted by: johnny | Aug 1, 2014 2:59:33 PM

7. Er.... I don't condone familial relationships but there are quite a number of southern states that allow opposite-sex first cousins to marry so allowing gays to marry ain't gonna make that any worse.

Posted by: ToThePoint | Aug 1, 2014 3:03:07 PM

8. A man who lied with every breath he took.

Will somebody please cut out a pound of his flesh and write the word "greed" on the wall containing his corpse please?

Posted by: Soda | Aug 1, 2014 3:18:07 PM

9. Sorry Mr. McDaniel... you can't say you are FOR marriage equality while still listing off the same ignorant talking points as reasons to defend against it.

Posted by: shaun | Aug 1, 2014 3:30:26 PM

10. :...promoting stable family environments in which children are raised by their biological parents;", what about all the children in stable family environments that are being raised by NON biological parents? Don't they matter? The other side is really getting ridiculous with their arguments.

Posted by: Howard | Aug 1, 2014 4:25:34 PM

11. Maybe Mr. McDaniel can have his brain examined as part of social experimentation and I would guess the results would indicate he has the brain of a cock roach..........

Posted by: Bernie | Aug 1, 2014 5:22:20 PM

12. Maybe Mr. McDaniel can have his brain examined as part of social experimentation and I would guess the results would indicate he has the brain of a cock roach..........

Posted by: Bernie | Aug 1, 2014 5:23:14 PM