Charlie Crist | Florida | Gay Marriage | News | Rick Scott

Charlie Crist Pens Letter to Florida Gov. Rick Scott Asking Him to Stop Defending Gay Marriage Ban

Crist

Charlie Crist has written an open letter to Rick Scott asking the Florida governor to stop defending the state's gay marriage ban in court, writing that "Florida deserves a governor who will stand up for all of the people of this state."

Four years ago, a district court of appeals ruled Florida’s ban on gay and lesbian adoption unconstitutional.

When the ruling came down, I believed it was my job as Governor to exercise the authority vested in me by the people and our Constitution. The day the judge ruled, I declared Florida’s adoption ban over. Gay and lesbian parents began adopting the children they loved immediately.

It is one of my proudest moments as an elected official.

Last Thursday Federal District Judge Robert Hinkle gave you the same chance to speak out for what is right when, in a ruling that would apply statewide, he struck down Florida’s ban on same sex marriage. By declaring the marriage ban finished you could discourage any future appeals and end the nightmare that loving same sex couples all across our state endure every single day, ending court battles that could drag on for months or years.

You can read the full letter HERE

Crist, who as Republican governor supported the constitutional ban on same-sex marriage when it was passed by Florida voters back in 2008, is now running as a pro-equality Democrat in this year's gubernatorial race.

Pam Bondi, the state attorney general working with Scott to defend the ban, has refused repeated calls to stop defending the ban, saying "I am just getting started"

Comments

1. I'm glad he is doing the right thing but I wonder - when is he going to come out of the closet?

Posted by: Jake | Aug 31, 2014 10:02:10 AM

2. He is a "strange bird", but I am glad he is finally on right side of the humand rights fight. Yes @JAKE, I think he needs to come on out of the closet.

Posted by: Squeeeevo | Aug 31, 2014 10:22:42 AM

3. LOL, the guy who was at a political event in one part of Florida and told the crowd "I live from paycheck to paycheck, too!" and reporters followed him in his limo to his private plane. He looks like some character Al Pacino in Scarface would have plugged "Who-evah said you was honest, anyway?"

Posted by: MIke | Aug 31, 2014 11:47:22 AM

4. Why vote between 2 known liars? Florida, we are fortunate enough not to
    be stuck picking one liar or the other this time. We actually have an
    alternative. Take advantage of the opportunity. Adrian Wyllie deserves
    my vote. He is a honest average Floridian just as you and I , that is
    willing to stand up and do something for the interest of all of us here
    in Florida. The other candidates both Republican and Democrat are owned
    and controlled by special interest, like puppets and will lie to your
    face to gain your vote, then continue the same old agenda that we
    complain about year after year. Time to get off this merry-go-round,
    election after election, thinking it will be any different. Take a
    stand, vote for the candidate that loves this state and is willing to
    take time out of his life, effort and money to SERVE the people of
    Florida and stop voting for these ‘paid for’ career politicians that are
    only out for money and fame and have zero interest in us Floridians.
    Even if it’s just for honesty alone, vote for Adrian Wyllie instead of
    the other two (Scott/Crist) which are proven liars. The choice is yours
    and yours alone, if you want the same old corruption and slap in the
    face, go ahead and vote for one of the two puppets (Scott/Crist) OR do
    what is right for our (yours and your children’s) future and vote for
    Adrian Wyllie. Support him by donating to his campaign, spreading the
    word and contribute to the super brochure program which I think is very
    powerful. Visit his website today. Also, vote for Bill Wohlsifer- Florida Attorney General!

Posted by: OrlandoChris | Aug 31, 2014 3:27:07 PM

5. He changed sides for the money....nothing else....

Posted by: rochon | Aug 31, 2014 7:25:03 PM

6. The choice in Florida is plain and simple. It is between Democrat Charlie Crist who now supports gay marriage and equal rights, and Rick Scott who opposes both. For those Floridians who support justice and equality, Charlie Crist is the clear choice.

Posted by: RonCharles | Sep 1, 2014 5:10:00 AM

7. I am going to be kind to Charlie Crist and accept that he has evolved.,,on both the equality issue and that of his former party going off the deep end. He has my vote.

Posted by: acorlando | Sep 1, 2014 8:18:42 AM