Todd Glass

Comedian Todd Glass Speaks to MSNBC About 'Busting Out of the Toolshed' As Gay: VIDEO

Glass

Stand up comedian Todd Glass, who came out as gay back in 2012, has a new memoir about his journey coming out of the closet, or as he wishes it was called, his journey "busting out of the toolshed."

Glass appeared on MSNBC's The Cycle this week to talk with Josh Barro and the panel about the book, opening for Patti LaBelle in the 80s, and why he got into stand-up comedy in the first place.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Todd Glass is hot. Was it widely suspected that he was gay before he came out? I never knew until today!

Posted by: Sergio | Aug 29, 2014 12:01:33 PM

2. @Sergio It really wasn't. I remember him years ago, and he didn't really ping my g'dar.

Posted by: Quicksilver | Aug 29, 2014 12:07:05 PM

3. I keep reading that as "stand up Canadian".

Toolshed? Is that where manly men come out from?

Posted by: anon | Aug 29, 2014 12:40:38 PM

4. I saw him on The Daily Show. His constant efforts to 'butch up' the conversation about being gay--such as saying that he prefers to call it 'busting out of the toolshed' rather than coming out of the closet--were repellent. He seems to think that being gay is an imperfection, a fault, that must be counter-balanced by being as hyper masculine as possible. Gross.

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 29, 2014 1:11:44 PM

5. My best friend came out to me recently. I've known him for close to 30 years and I never suspected that he was gay. Sadly he is married to a woman, has a little boy and is so terrified that his parents will disown him that he refuses to do anything but remain where he is today. I've tried to get him to come out to everyone, especially his wife (she has a RIGHT to know), but he refused. Said if I push him he'll stop talking to me. I don't want to lose his friendship, but now I don't know what kind of friendship we really had. It's about him, not me. I get that. But I'm at a loss. Thoughts?

Posted by: Gigi | Aug 29, 2014 1:14:25 PM

6. "I saw him on The Daily Show. His constant efforts to 'butch up' the conversation about being gay--such as saying that he prefers to call it 'busting out of the toolshed' rather than coming out of the closet--were repellent."

i was thinking the same when watching his interview with jon stewart - he obviously is still on his journey to self acceptance, let's hope he gets there soon.

if he was trying to be funny, he needs to stop, and try something else.

Posted by: northalabama | Aug 29, 2014 2:48:05 PM

7. it's part of the process. good for him, but yes, as others have pointed out - he's sorta regurgitating and "telling himself/others" the same brand of stuff i was spouting when i was 20. and in much the same manner.

it's one of those things that only the Out will understand: the journey of "oh, yeah. i remember when i used to say that, too" - which is to expected as we're all growing up gay in a still very-anti-gay world culture. i hope his progress continues and he doesn't get stuck in that rut where he thinks once you're Out the journey is over.

in truth, as all out folks know, coming out is really just the FIRST step.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 29, 2014 3:34:08 PM

8. Busting out of the tool shed ha! I like it. Todd Glass is a legend.

Posted by: Jay | Aug 29, 2014 3:39:04 PM

9. I'm in kind of a weird place with Todd Glass. I listened to the WTF interview with Marc Maron, I've listened to Glass's own podcast, and now there's this media poledance for the book. I was more than a little uncomfortable with teh Stewart interview, a discomfort that was only slightly ameliorated with the knowledge that it was a stand-up talking to another stand-up, so it was beasically Glass selling bits from his set and not intended to be taken all that literally. It still sounded like self-effacing internalized homophobia, and while I know that it's not from all the additional exposure, it feels problematic from the outside looking in.

Far be it from me to dictate Todd Glass's self-expression in the interest of keeping me happy.

Posted by: Jerry | Aug 29, 2014 4:11:25 PM

10. The hyperactive patter on The Daily Show made me squirm but he says that he's happier being out. I liked the bit about keeping the plates spinning - it's the hardest part of lying, whatever form it takes.

Posted by: Hue-Man | Aug 29, 2014 4:33:47 PM

11. @Jerry: In a way, all comedy is "self-effacing, internalized homophobia." Comedy is largely about the comedian exposing his/her own sense of inadequacy and making the audience feel relieved and less isolated in their own fear of worthlessness.

And it's this "sense" of inadequacy -- not inadequacy itself -- that's often, like internalized homophobia, so crippling.

Posted by: Mort | Aug 29, 2014 5:14:36 PM

12. Is that black andy samberg?

Posted by: Dan4444 | Aug 29, 2014 5:41:00 PM

13. I see a lot of people here criticizing Glass for his masculine views on his homosexuality. I don't believe he's critical or self-demeaning of his sexuality by insisting on more masculine phrases--he's embracing his own masculinity and what he finds attractive in other men.
    Blessed Mother of Laurette Taylor, he danced in a sequined dress onstage at a Patti Labelle concert! Complain all you please, the fact remains; you cannot get much gayer than that. Quite frankly, I find it refreshing that he is embracing his masculinity. How many other men like him are afraid to be themselves because they don't want their sexuality to inaccurately define them? Imagine Lesley Jordan having to come out as gay if it meant people were going to treat him like a lumberjack.
    You never hear lesbians criticizing other lesbians for embracing their femininity.

Posted by: Vatican Lokey | Sep 2, 2014 12:22:41 PM