Film and TV | News | Reality TV | Survivor | Television

Gay Christian Couple To Compete In New Season of ‘Survivor: Blood vs. Water’ - VIDEO

Survivor

CBS has introduced the world to the cast members of its latest season of SurvivorSurvivor: San Juan del Sur – Blood vs. Water — and this year’s cast, like the last season of Blood vs. Water, features a gay couple, Joshua Canfield (32) and Reed Kelly (31). Both are singer/dancers who hail from Broadway, having worked on shows such as Spider Man and Wicked. Both Josh and Reed also happen to be Christians.

Watch a video introducing the couple contestants, AFTER THE JUMP…

Comments

1. They're gay, singers, dancers, performers, and Christians. What a diverse combination! I like them already. Hey guys, the best of luck to both of you on Survivor!

Posted by: David From Canada | Aug 27, 2014 7:54:38 PM

2. i'm such a sourpuss - i'd much prefer a pair of singing dancing gay atheists.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 27, 2014 7:58:03 PM

3. Don't understand why any gay person would turn to the Christian faith. It is the same to me as being a gay Republican. It just doesn't compute. Not worry. I never watch Survivor anyway. Amazing Race is my must-see.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Aug 27, 2014 7:59:42 PM

4. Reed Kelly gained a wee level of "fame" in a few circles years ago when he was dating Clay Aiken.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 27, 2014 8:02:42 PM

5. Speaking of sourpusses, I'm here posting under Kiwi's name like a big, sissy coward. My father was right about me.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 27, 2014 8:08:26 PM

6. Christian gays. Makes. no. sense.

I hope they don't honestly believe they're good christians. Because, according to every other christian, these 2, just by being christian, are really bad christians.

Posted by: the other Ken | Aug 27, 2014 8:10:54 PM

7. The Other Ken - the thing that irks me is...i was raised in the united church of canada - my own *personal* experiences in my own church were nothing but positive. came out to the congregation when i was still in high school, and it only meant they loved me more

that said - it also allowed me the freedom (being a non-dogmatic non-exclusive and utterly humanist group) to think, and grow, and learn. cliff's notes version: my church made it really easy for me to grow up to be an atheist (of sorts....)

the older i get, the harder i find it to sit and passively say "ok, sure" when i hear people ramble on and on about their religious faith. weird, because i have no reason to "reject" the faith i was brought up in - which actually posited itself as merely an outlet for spirituality and reflection in the modern world.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 27, 2014 8:14:33 PM

8. Every word in that headline bores me.

Posted by: John | Aug 27, 2014 8:27:00 PM

9. Jesus, Mary and Joseph. If these two last the first night I'll be shocked. I already hate them and I only watched a two minute video, they'll be the first voted off.

Posted by: Jmac | Aug 27, 2014 8:30:42 PM

10. May the best man win.

Posted by: Markt | Aug 27, 2014 8:36:19 PM

11. Little Kiwi -
    I'm assuming you tit-for-tated the troll you think is Rick impersonating you.

I want to use this as an example of you bulldozing more than your intended target. You must realize that there are good gay people on here who may have been rejected by their fathers who may get offended by you - the same way people may get offended if you ridicule someone for the sum of their facebook friends because they themselves know the sting of not having friends.

Even if you thought good gays all have supporting parents and strong bonds, and all bad anti-gay gays have terrible parents and no bonds (and it is ok to attack that instead of their sick philosophies), it wouldn't be acceptable. But I don't think you ever really thought about it that far or that much.
    Since this is your general style of response though, I think you should.

I don't agree with the trolls you argue with, but I also don't agree with the way you address them. You say things that can negatively impact good people and it's worth considering and adapting to.

Again, please stop your "your parents didn't love you and you have no friends etc". If you must address these people, think of something else to approach with.

Moreover, just because someone speaks from an anonymous place doesn't disqualify what they're saying from consideration any more than using your face automatically gives one credibility.
    I may not have bonds right now, but that's not because I'm a bad anti-gay person, it doesn't mean it's because I'm a "Rick". And I do get offended when you jump seemingly reflexively to these bullying type jabs.

Speaking for myself, it's not your bonds that are a thorn in my side - it's that you lord them over those that don't.

Having a point to make anonymously doesn't automatically make somebody a troll or somebody to be discounted.
    If the shoe fits - and it does.

Posted by: Anon | Aug 27, 2014 8:49:47 PM

12. I see no contradiction with a couple of Broadway singers and dancers taking it to the nth degree and living out their lives in the make believe world of a venerable work of fiction like the Holy Bible. It is weird that they'd identify with a central character who is both His mother's lover and her son.

Posted by: JJ | Aug 27, 2014 9:00:35 PM

13. For the Non-Christians and atheists who have just posted, I can see your personal point. The U.S.A. has an overdose of strict religions - it's enough to make just about anyone turn in the opposite direction.
    Here in Canada, things are more laid back and moderate. I have always believed in a Higher Power, have always had a strong spiritual streak, and believe the teachings of Christ. It greatly helps me in my personal life.
    No arguments here, just 'to each his own'.

Posted by: David From Canada | Aug 27, 2014 9:21:29 PM

14. I don't believe they are a couple. I think they were selected because they look effeminate. Liberal viewers don't like masculine homosexuals.

Posted by: petey | Aug 27, 2014 9:22:26 PM

15. Jesus was actually a very cool guy. It was the church (some of it, not all of it) that corrupted his message as a way to control people. But Jesus was all about sticking up for the underdog and extending compassion, love and acceptance to those most rejected by society.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Aug 27, 2014 9:26:11 PM

16. Does the show not prep them at all? "In the business" in a gay bar in Manhattan means "show business/jazz hands." In Nevada it means you're a sex worker. In N. Dakota it means you work on an oil rig, and in Alaska it means you're a serial killer. They should be aware that they aren't talking in the Monster but to a very broad audience.
    Telling people that you are so much fun to be around never goes over very well. Adding forced laughter afterwards may prevent those in the room from telling you so, but all who hear it are thinking perversely the opposite. I guess were all mangled a bit one way or another. Great for them that they can put it out there without too much hesitation.

Posted by: Markt | Aug 27, 2014 9:40:45 PM

17. Does the show not prep them at all? "In the business" in a gay bar in Manhattan means "show business/jazz hands." In Nevada it means you're a sex worker. In N. Dakota it means you work on an oil rig, and in Alaska it means you're a serial killer. They should be aware that they aren't talking in the Monster but to a very broad audience.

Posted by: Markt | Aug 27, 2014 9:40:52 PM

18. Oh, great. Two more Frankies.

Posted by: DrunkEnough | Aug 27, 2014 9:45:24 PM

19. "I don't believe they are a couple. I think they were selected because they look effeminate. Liberal viewers don't like masculine homosexuals."

Isn't it weird that I'd post something that sounds almost word-for-word like something Rick would say? It isn't actually, because we're the same troll.

Posted by: Petey | Aug 27, 2014 9:58:45 PM

20. You can like Jesus all you want, but his teachings are largely irrelevant to Christianity. Paul and Moses are the only ones Christians listen to.

Posted by: Merv | Aug 27, 2014 11:34:00 PM

21. I am really saddened at the stupidity of certain comments made about being gay and Christian.
    Some people need to expand their knowledge of what it means to be Christian and how you can also be gay with any conflict.
    Ever hear of metaphysical Christianity? No, I didn't think so.

Posted by: Martin | Aug 27, 2014 11:45:09 PM

22. Gayness probably not the biggest problem for self-identified Christians to participate in this kind of shows. Do they have to do a lot of unchristian things in order to survive and compete successfully?

Posted by: simon | Aug 27, 2014 11:52:44 PM

23. Not that they don't do it in real life. The difference is they do it on national TV for all to see.

Posted by: simon | Aug 28, 2014 12:01:19 AM

24. Is anyone going to start calling on CBS and it's keeping with the lack of diversity on their reality shows? Yes all gay people are in the arts and are more of the effeminate variety. If they are not in show business then they will find the backstabbing queen variety. See this is how CBS wants us to be seen in middle America. Also, shock, shock some gays are Christian. Wow CBS you really think this is shocking? Please we can see right through this. This is about keeping with your lack of knowing anything about our community.

Posted by: Dawson | Aug 28, 2014 12:08:30 AM

25. Guys, please go easy on Little Kiwi. It is painful for him to read stories about gay men who have achieved success as actors. Both of these Survivor contestants appeared on Broadway. Kiwi hasn't had an acting gig in over a decade, and even that was as an uncredited extra. His biggest achievement as a thespian was when he starred in Mama Mia - in high school. Fail.

How do I know all this? Because he pathetically tried to play the actor card when he hit on me when we were together in a group of friends in the East Village. I guess he thought that because I was a few years younger, he could BS his way into my pants. Fail.

Anyway, fast forward a few years and one day I discover that this sleazoid now spends most of his day posting comments on the internet attacking and insulting people and rambling on about his love of promiscuity and crossdressers. It's pretty sad. So let him post his nonsense about these 2 attractive, successful actors (who both have their hair). It's the only thing he has going on in his life.

Posted by: Troye | Aug 28, 2014 12:10:41 AM