George Takei

George Takei Shares Love Story of How He and Husband Brad Altman Met: VIDEO

Takei2

In a new video for Oprah: Where Are They Now?, George Takei shares the story of how, while in a gay running group in 1987, he met and fell in love with the best runner in the club - a man named Brad Altman.

Altman and Takei tied the knot in September 2008.

Watch the heartwarming video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. OMG interracial couple!! Oh no!!!! Lets wait and see the comments....

Oh none? Of course not. It doesn't involve someone black so you won't have the bitchy and whiney armchair black commenters throwing a hissy fit.

Posted by: Rowan | Aug 18, 2014 2:35:44 PM

2. I think we as gay people should be the last to have any say in judging other people

Posted by: Disgusted American | Aug 18, 2014 2:51:48 PM

3. If you want a moving sequel/addendum to this that DOES deal with race, dial up YouTube with Nichelle Nichols talking about meeting Dr. Martin Luther King, and how he told her shortly before his assassination that she must not leave "Star Trek." Definitely goosebump-material.

Posted by: Dback | Aug 18, 2014 2:59:11 PM

4. My husband immigrated with his parents and sister from Dublin, Ireland, and still speaks with an Irish accent. I find it charming. OTOH, his parents have such a heavy brogue that I often have to look at my husband for a translation.

I'm French. Does that make us an interracial couple?

BTW, any Civil War buffs out there? Fort Point held its annual Civil War History day with handsome ginger soldiers marching about. Fort Point was built in 1853 to protect the SF Harbor from the Confederates and must have been a great place to be a young hot soldier. Check it my video. Click my name above.

Posted by: Cary Chauvet | Aug 18, 2014 3:42:18 PM

5. I think it is cute for George to remember Brad as the best runner in Frontrunners LA back in 1986, but I always thought that Bill Austin was the best runner in Frontrunners.

However, it is true, Brad was a natural born runner. He has long legs and was skinny as a rail when he was in his 30's.

I never knew that their relationship was a secret or that George being gay was a secret. They ran with the Frontrunners around Silver Lake every Tuesday night and entered 10K's as a members of the Frontrunners on weekends.

I remember running in the Chinatown Firecracker 10K one weekend with the Frontrunners. We all wanted to go out for Dim Sum after the run, but the restaurant we went to was packed. George was very well known in the Asian community, of course, so he was able to get restaurant manger to find a table for the entire Frontrunners team.

Posted by: Bryan | Aug 18, 2014 4:27:31 PM

6. My hubby and I met in a bar, but we reconnected and really started dating through FrontRunners. We've been members in the 3 cities we've lived in.

So I always enjoy when George tells this story.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 18, 2014 4:37:37 PM

7. And here I thought that gay men never ran in 5K's or 10K's, at least as far as I could tell.

Posted by: anon | Aug 18, 2014 5:04:50 PM

8. Takei and Altman are a supercute couple. And woot woot for Frontrunners.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Aug 18, 2014 6:09:02 PM

9. The video on this page is cropped smaller than the actual video.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 18, 2014 6:16:13 PM

10. I certainly don't run 5Ks or 10Ks. That's so short, why bother?

Posted by: crispy | Aug 18, 2014 7:00:48 PM