George Michael | Morrissey | Music | The Smiths

George Michael Says The Smiths are Reforming: VIDEO

Morrissey
(image true-to-you)

The Guardian caught up with George Michael over the weekend, with a rapid-fire question interview in which Michael handed off one-line quips on various topics such as his greatest fear (losing the ability to create music), his favorite word (go-on-then), his favorite book (impossible to answer) and how often he has sex (wouldn't you like to know).

MichaelBut it was the answer to his final question which stirred the loins of the music world, when the Guardian asked him if he could tell them a secret. Said Michael:

"The Smiths are reforming."

Whether George Michael knows something we don't know or is just messing with the hearts of those who hope to hear Morrissey's voice and Johnny Marr's guitar back together again (more likely) is anyone's guess, but it's certainly the most interesting thing he said in the interview.

Morrissey's personal website True To You announced over the weekend that "Three weeks after the release of Morrissey's World Peace Is None Of Your Business (#2 UK, #14 US), Capitol Records/Harvest have ended their relationship with Morrissey, as directed by label boss Steve Barnett. Morrissey is once again in search of a record label."

For his part, Morrissey answered the question of a reunion (once again) in January, saying:

"I don't know a single person who wants a Smiths reunion! But, no, there aren't any bands I like to see again because your memory of them is how they were in their prime or at their best or at their most desperate, and you look to them to be someone that they no longer are."

He also said he'd be retiring from music about now.

And, Gigwise notes, this is what Marr had to say about a reunion three months ago.

And have a listen to George Michael's most recent release from Symphonica, a cover of the standard "Feeling Good", AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Johnny Marr has a solo album coming out later this year. Oh, and he hates Morrissey.

So no.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 11, 2014 11:01:56 AM

2. I'll believe this when I see it. Can't particularly believe that George Michael, of all people, would actually have the inside scoop on this.

Posted by: Craig S | Aug 11, 2014 12:40:47 PM

3. I saw them play UC Berkley and - happily enough - Letterkenny Leisure Center. I would not mind seeing them again.

Posted by: radtastic | Aug 11, 2014 12:56:48 PM

4. Who are these people?

Posted by: bligh | Aug 11, 2014 1:06:55 PM

5. Reforming, like going back to the cloth? Are they closet catholicks?

Or re-forming, like getting back together as a group? What country is Mr Michaels from again?

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Aug 11, 2014 2:00:25 PM

6. I read a recent MOJO magazine interview with Johnny Marr and Marr sounded hurt by Morrissey's ignoring him. Marr was hoping Morrissey would be interested in helping remaster Smiths recordings and Morrissey blew him off, so Marr did all the work himself. Sounded to me as if Marr was hoping to rekindle their friendship but Morrissey wasn't. I don't think a Smiths reunion is impossible, but ...

Posted by: Glenn I | Aug 11, 2014 2:00:38 PM

7. I doubt it very much. Morrissey's insufferable ego will not permit anyone taking the spotlight away from him.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 11, 2014 2:32:42 PM

8. I saw Johnny Marr in SF. His singing, obviously, wasn't as good as Morrissey, but his guitar playing was better then any person that has ever played for Morrissey; it was divine. I think that is benefit of playing and musical instrument, you can get better as you get older.

Posted by: Nate | Aug 11, 2014 2:36:40 PM

9. So GM's biggest fear is losing the ability to make music? Ummm, that happened a long time ago. Or at least the ability to make good music. Guess he should have been more specific about that.

Posted by: Arkansassy | Aug 11, 2014 2:53:11 PM

10. in his book Moz makes clear his antipathy - the royalties lawsuit pretty much poisoned the well - i doubt he'd work with them again - and why should he? he has an amazing and rich solo career - i think gm's just having fun

Posted by: j | Aug 11, 2014 3:17:48 PM

11. I don't want bands to re-form; I want the band members to work out their issues with each other. I'm looking at you, David Byrne and Tina Weymouth.

Posted by: jimstoic | Aug 11, 2014 3:32:10 PM

12. George Michael is high.

Posted by: sean | Aug 11, 2014 5:07:51 PM

13. Our unspeakable friend
    Gets the message on an ill-wind
    'All your friends and your foes
    Would rather die than have to touch you'
    TO SAY THE LEAST: truly disappointed