Gay Wedding | News

Lupita Nyong'o Celebrates Friend's Gay Wedding With Message of Love

Screen Shot 2014-08-14 at 1.51.44 PM

Oscar winner Lupita Nyong'o attended the wedding of celebrity hairstylist Ted Gibson and his partner Jason Backe in NYC yesterday and posted the above Instagram pic with a message congratulating the newlyweds:

"I witnessed the man who adds so much beauty to my life legalize his beautiful marriage. Thank you for the reminder that love and its declaration can be simple. Congratulations @tedgibsonbeauty."

Gibson sent back a message of thanks to the actress via Instagram:

What a fun evening thank you @lupitanyongo for making it so special xo

Congrats gentlemen!

Comments

1. I think the title should read:

LUPITA NYONG'O CELEBRATES GAY FRIEND'S WEDDING WITH MESSAGE OF LOVE

There is no reason to call it a "gay wedding" when we're saying marriage is th same regardless of the sexual orientation of the persons involved in it.

Posted by: Diego | Aug 14, 2014 2:36:45 PM

2. She's a class act.

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 14, 2014 2:44:39 PM

3. I'm happy for the newlyweds and I LOVE Lupita!

Posted by: Ron | Aug 14, 2014 3:19:37 PM

4. I'm a little starstruck when it comes to Lupita.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Aug 14, 2014 3:25:19 PM

5. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

Posted by: Mikey M | Aug 14, 2014 3:25:26 PM

6. Did Stacy and Clinton show up too?

Posted by: Jerry | Aug 14, 2014 4:12:40 PM

7. Lupita is an exquiste woman and actress. I'm glad that so many people (especially Gay people) appreciate how special she is.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 14, 2014 4:38:49 PM

8. Lupita is an exquiste woman and actress. I'm glad that so many people (especially Gay people) appreciate how special she is.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 14, 2014 4:38:50 PM

9. I never leave comments on sites like this, but can your editorial staff please use the proper terminology? It was not "his partner" but his husband. Also, shouldn't it read "LUPITA NYONG'O CELEBRATES GAY FRIEND'S WEDDING WITH MESSAGE OF LOVE" and not "LUPITA NYONG'O CELEBRATES FRIEND'S GAY WEDDING WITH MESSAGE OF LOVE"

Posted by: jason | Aug 14, 2014 4:44:22 PM

10. "Mixing up the ma-gic..."

Posted by: kirkyo | Aug 14, 2014 5:18:57 PM

11. I'm so sick of seeing interracial couples

Posted by: Mike | Aug 14, 2014 5:25:01 PM

12. I wish this site would stop calling them "gay weddings" and stop calling people "openly gay". They're weddings and gays. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Posted by: Terminology | Aug 14, 2014 5:35:10 PM

13. Wonderful! I hope the newlyweds have a happy life together.

Posted by: elg | Aug 14, 2014 6:25:46 PM

14. Derrick, she's adorable. But you should see the hate filled comments from the black posters.

Well done Lupita.

With her star so high yet new and fragile-who would do this? I see this as a quite protest of what is happening in Kenya but she would killed by her people for discussing it.

Have Beyonce, Madonna, Rihanna etc etc ever posted anything about going to a gay friends wedding? Those ladies are managed head to toe by gay men-management to stylist.

No, instead we get attention seeking ploys a la Madonna which put her in the press-MTV-or/and we get fair weather vague cornflake packet generic comments posted on their social media a la Bey & Riri.

SIGH.

Posted by: Rowan | Aug 15, 2014 9:24:17 AM

15. "I'm so sick of seeing interracial couples"

This comment brought to you by 1957.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 15, 2014 9:33:56 AM

16. @ Mike, if you're black, no wonder you're single. With that attitude though, why the anger? You wouldn't even be interested in that black guy. So full of hate, as if you could ever be that out and even have a wedding that peaceful or sincere?

If you're white? What's your deal? Are their not enough white out gay men for you??!!

What I find ironic about these black posters who are always bitching about these black gay guys with white guys, is that these angry, rage fueled black guys with so much negativity would not even be attracted to these black guys.

All these gay black guys in the media are obsessive about being out, they believe in lgbt activism-which many black gays in the media DO NOT, they don't make excuses for the homophobia in the black community-both Frank Ocean and Jason Collins stated this clearly-and they tend not to worship all the superficial BS in the gay world, so why are these guys so p*ssed?

Mike since you care so much, why don't you work it? Push more black lgbt people to be involved with activism? Step up to the plate?

Like attracts you like. You know that.

The day I see a successful out lgbt person with a ghetto white gay guy, then we can all whine and b*tch.

In fact, I think it's a bigger issue with black lesbians, as there are a lot of decent out black women. But then I'm not a fan of the out black lesbians to be honest. Like that woman with the afro hair. Urgh. So fake.

Posted by: Rowan | Aug 15, 2014 10:04:23 AM