California | James Duke Mason | News | West Hollywood

Duke Mason Announces His Run For West Hollywood City Council

Screen Shot 2014-08-16 at 12.31.01 AM

With the posting of a video on his YouTube channel, Duke Mason has officially thrown his hat in the ring for a West Hollywood City Council seat. In the new clip, Mason, the openly gay son of singer Belinda Carlisle, points to the increase in the city's rental prices (which are driving out many of the people who initially helped shape West Hollywood's identity) as just one of the motivating forces behind his run.

Says Mason in the video:

"I am grateful to be a resident of West Hollywood. We should celebrate our city's legacy. But we also need to return to our roots and use that activist spirit to build for ourselves, for our future and for the next generation. We're still West Hollywood: the same West Hollywood with the audacity to stand up, to speak out and to fight for what we believe in. We are good but we can be great again. We can be proud again."

Mason first filed papers for a possible run in July.

You can contribute to the campaign on his official website here.

Comments

1. I read Belinda Carlisle's autobiography a couple of years ago, and she talked about her son Duke Mason, that he is gay and she and her husband were very supportive of him. She wrote that he was very intellectual, well-versed in gay issues and interested in politics.
    He sounds like a great guy with promise and a future in politics. A good start for him in West Hollywood, a gay area.
    Good Luck Duke and all the best!

Posted by: David From Canada | Aug 16, 2014 9:57:25 AM

2. Dip him in honey and send him over to my house, please.

Posted by: Bubba | Aug 16, 2014 10:00:22 AM

3. It's sad that West Hollywood and other areas that the gays basically created are now being gentrified and reserved as the one percent's playground.

Posted by: Lil Kiwi | Aug 16, 2014 10:11:07 AM

4. I've worked for the City of West Hollywood and it's fairly corrupt. Not only that it's slowly being taken over by straight families--they're even opening straight bar/lounges along Santa Monica East. The City is overly building multi-use condo/commercial buildings and losing the small village vibe they once had. And Duke is correct, the rents are astronomical

Posted by: woodroad34 | Aug 16, 2014 10:40:41 AM

5. Speaking as the owner of several income properties, rents are whatever the market will bear. If you can't afford to live in an area because the rents are too high, sadly, you'll have to look elsewhere. That being said, I have quite a few tenants who are really great so I tend not to raise their rent as much (or at all) as I'm legally allowed to. A couple I even reduced their rent initially because I thought they'd be model tenants, and they have been.

Posted by: GIGI | Aug 16, 2014 10:49:40 AM

6. I wish he were running in Wilton Manors, Fl.

Posted by: Frogview | Aug 16, 2014 10:51:19 AM

7. Belinda Carlisle has a son old enough to run for city council???? I remember her solo pop career from elementary/middle school. Pass the Geritol and Metimucil.....

Posted by: robroy | Aug 16, 2014 11:05:55 AM

8. @GIGI kiss my @ss

Posted by: Lil Kiwi | Aug 16, 2014 11:25:24 AM

9. ROBROY: Belinda Carlisle started out as the lead singer of The Go-Go's back in the 1980's. Their biggest hit single was "We Got The Beat". We're not getting old - just older.

Posted by: David From Canada | Aug 16, 2014 11:46:20 AM

10. West Hollywood has the worst rent control in all of California, speaking as a apartment owner. Just because you don't own a damn thing. Don't be such an @ss

Posted by: BGJ | Aug 16, 2014 1:58:04 PM

11. He's a rather remarkable young man, whose parents obviously instilled in him some responsibility about doing the best with the privileges he's been afforded. bright young man, and i for one like his "post-adolescent idealism." in a world of vapid brats born to money who never give back in any meaningful way, this dude is continuously impressive.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 16, 2014 2:07:15 PM

12. To the Canadian impostor posting as me, get a life and some hair plugs.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 16, 2014 2:15:41 PM

13. To the Canadian impostor posting as me, get a life and some hair plugs.

Posted by: Lil Kiwi | Aug 16, 2014 2:15:48 PM

14. He's a "remarkable" and "intellectual" young man that hasn't yet gone to college and sees Ronald Reagan as someone who was a supporter of gay rights and offers up reactive and wrong headed ideas about Israel and Palestine.

Posted by: Jason Evan Mihalko, Psy.D. | Aug 16, 2014 2:20:32 PM

15. jason that article was painful to even skim lol jesus christ

Posted by: JMC | Aug 16, 2014 2:44:45 PM

16. A Congressional page, a surrogate for Obama and BOD member for Outfest and one year of college? No work experience to speak of, I'm just wondering why he's qualified for the gig? Maybe he is, but the video doesn't convince me of that apart from The Rent's Too Damn High.

Posted by: BobC562 | Aug 16, 2014 8:23:21 PM

17. So a punk who wasn't alive when Reagan was president wants to tell me what it was like to live under him, because he really was "Pro-gay."

I need to throw up now.

Posted by: Jason MacBride | Aug 16, 2014 8:47:22 PM

18. "The City is overly building multi-use condo/commercial buildings and losing the small village vibe they once had"

I live near Downtown but I was in WeHo running errands today and you're right. The old Trader Joe's mall by Poinsettia Park though not offically in WeHo is going to be a condo site, the corner of SM & Crescent Heights a CVS (I think) --what a traffic nightmare *that's* going to be-- and a whole block on Sunset by The Whiskey is a crater, that's probably more luxury condos too.

There's really three West Hollywood's: the gay ghetto, the straight luxury clubbing part on Sunset and the increasingly Russian part on the SM Blvd. flatlands east of La Cienega. Ah gentrification!

Posted by: Henry Holland | Aug 17, 2014 12:45:31 AM

19. Duke has great promise. I love his ideals and will definitely consider voting for him this upcoming election. This video really wins me over.

Posted by: Marc | Aug 17, 2014 1:52:26 AM

20. Duke has great promise. I love his ideals and will definitely consider voting for him this upcoming election. This video really wins me over.

Posted by: Marc | Aug 17, 2014 1:52:26 AM

21. Duke has great promise. I love his ideals and will definitely consider voting for him this upcoming election. This video really wins me over.

Posted by: Marc | Aug 17, 2014 1:52:26 AM

22. Duke has great promise. I love his ideals and will definitely consider voting for him this upcoming election. This video really wins me over.

Posted by: Marc | Aug 17, 2014 1:52:26 AM

23. Duke has great promise. I love his ideals and will definitely consider voting for him this upcoming election. This video really wins me over.

Posted by: Marc | Aug 17, 2014 1:52:26 AM

24. He seems more coherent than Rick Perry or Sarah Palin though that is not really a compliment.

Posted by: simon | Aug 17, 2014 11:15:37 AM

25. Uh, David from Canada, I think "Our Lips are Sealed" was the Go-go's biggest hit. :) And I loved his grandmother, Pamela Mason. What a smart lady with a quick wit!

Posted by: David | Aug 17, 2014 1:31:06 PM