Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | News | Pat Robertson | Video

Pat Robertson: Possibly Gay Teen Would Be Straight If He Had 'Male Companions' - VIDEO

Robertson

One of Pat Robertson’s 700 Club viewers recently wrote in asking for the right-wing-nut’s advice because her 13-year-old step-son “who lives with his mother most of the time” has “crushes on boys.” Robertson made sure to respond with the tried-and-true myth favored by ring-wing crazies that this boy, like all homosexuals, has attraction “toward other men because he’s raised by a woman.” Right Wing Watch reports:

“I would get him male companions, I’d get him some man to help him, some mentor, someone who cares about young men,” Robertson advised. “He is being raised by a single woman and that is skewing his orientation.”

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP…

Comments

1. well none of that made any sense.

too bad women like this don't call PFLAG. instead, they call the man who will end up causing this family to lose this young man.

guys like him either take their own lives, or hit the road and never look back. i sincerely hope he has the strength to opt for the latter.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 26, 2014 1:42:02 PM

2. Talk about throwing the kid from the frying pan into the fire...

Posted by: Pdxblueyes | Aug 26, 2014 1:44:20 PM

3. He sounds like an idiot.

Posted by: Michael W. | Aug 26, 2014 1:48:10 PM

4. I wish Towleroad would spend less time giving attention to fringe whackos. Writing about their rants legitimizes them while we should be shunning them.

Posted by: max | Aug 26, 2014 1:50:27 PM

5. Don't suggest a priest as a mentor.

Posted by: Bollox | Aug 26, 2014 1:54:32 PM

6. "“I would get him male companions, I’d get him some man to help him, some mentor, someone who cares about young men,”" My recommendation would be a Catholic Priest. Once a Catholic priest gets a hold of that kid, he will make him right as rain on a hot day.

Posted by: Ted | Aug 26, 2014 2:00:12 PM

7. I had a lot of male companions growing up. We had amazing sex!

Posted by: breyno | Aug 26, 2014 2:00:13 PM

8. LOL LOL LOL LOL

I wish I'd had more male companions when I was 13. I wish they could've come right off a highschool football field (or college--I like...well, I used to like older men).

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 26, 2014 2:13:56 PM

9. @Michael W, not just sounds...

Posted by: Matt27 | Aug 26, 2014 2:17:24 PM

10. I find solace that this budding 13 year-old gay boy is in what I presume is the loving, nurturing care of his real mother, and not the custody of the "concerned" step-mother who should kindly butt the f*ck out.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Aug 26, 2014 2:28:43 PM

11. I would get him some male companions as well. One, after the other.

Posted by: Tigernan | Aug 26, 2014 2:32:37 PM

12. Those "ideas" of his are as old as he is:
    1. gay because of dominant mother; weak father
    2. too many women, thus he estrogenized
    3. not enough "boyfriends" in his social life
    Seriously, the world has gained knowledge, why hasn't he? Lazy? Stupid? Brain-dead?

Posted by: woodroad34 | Aug 26, 2014 2:33:08 PM

13. Yes, Crypt Keeper, all the male children of single moms are homosexual. You twit.

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 26, 2014 2:38:23 PM

14. the reality is, of course, that there are no "external" factors that make a person gay, and thus could de-gay or prevent one from becoming gay.

we know this because we gay people who actually exist in the real world talk to each other. we share stories. we share experiences. we bond and connect and were there one or a few "smoking guns" we'd have found them by now.

the religious-right keeps these ideas alive because then it allows insecure right-wing self-hating gays to pretend they've overcome their maladjusted upbringings, and by beating a pillow and couch-cuddling a creepy old pervert they feel like they can pretend to be "not gay anymore."

it's not that different from 'say five hail marys' and your sins are forgiven. uh, ok. mumbo jumbo jones.

"hit that pillow, blame your dad for not hugging you enough, and PRESTO! You now have an insatiable desire for vaginas!"

none of those things have any factor on whether or not one will be gay. they can only affect how said gay person will adjust to being gay, whether or not they'll embrace it, and their happiness tied to having a gay identity.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 26, 2014 2:45:23 PM

15. Good call Rev Robertson. I know it sure helped me to have all those male companions. I also want to thank all the guys who used to swim at the old Carter farm pond and those of you who hung out under the East End Overpass and to the many friends and fellow horndog teenagers who help keep our barn loft smelling musky year round. I wouldn't the grinning idiot I am today if I hadn't had all that great male companionship.

Posted by: Steve H | Aug 26, 2014 2:51:41 PM

16. Oops, Once again the truth of how society really works has failed Mr. Robertson. The fact it always has should probably inform us that it always will.

Don't we doubt the legitimacy of these calls when a mother of a 13 year old (probably 30-ish herself) reaches out to someone like Pat Robertson for advice.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Aug 26, 2014 2:54:29 PM

17. What do want to bet that this decrepit old geezer would STILL volunteer himself as a mentor/male companion. His ears literally "pricked up". "Oh boy, could you help me carry these heavy bibles?" ala George Rekers and the rent boy.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 26, 2014 3:10:05 PM

18. “I would get him male companions"

Better go out and get some parental rights first, because they don't come automatically with the title of stepparent.

Posted by: JJ | Aug 26, 2014 3:11:29 PM

19. The idea of this creep giving advice on bringing up boys makes me vomit.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Aug 26, 2014 3:13:47 PM

20. When I was growing up, I bonded with my mom. Most of my friends were girls. I frosted my hair and joined the cheerleading squad. I was the only male - well, quasi-male - among all the girls.

As an adult, I am obsessed with the meaning of masculinity, something I feel that I lack. I post lots of angry comments asserting that masculinity has no real meaning and doesn't matter, but I no one believes that I really mean it, and honestly, I don't. What should I do?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 26, 2014 3:14:55 PM

21. You should read this article, My Trolling Impostor -

or you could do what i did when i was a teenager: actually Come Out.

i mean, coming on here to anonymously rant every day...i get it. you see in me everything you weren't allowed to be. you have my pity, but not my sympathy.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 26, 2014 3:19:55 PM

22. @ "What should I do?"

Stop using other people's posting names, and start using a better brand of mascara (Max Factor).

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 26, 2014 3:35:47 PM

23. Little K, I've read through the comment thread and your essay on TGMP.

While I don't condone imposters, I think the fake Kiwi had a valid observation. You are sort of obsessed with masculinity and are on a crusade about it. It seems like you are trying to convince yourself of something. You remind me a bit of the anti-gay Christian who rants about homosexuality all the time but who insists that he has no personal interest in the subject.

As for the essay, I am sorry you felt isolated and judged. That was wrong. However, you should think about whether some of this was your mind telling you that people were against you. How do you even know that that little boy was telling you the truth about what his dad said? Maybe he just wanted to mess with you and used his dad as a way to insult you while shunting responsibility to an adult. Kids do this sort of indirect insulting all the time. ("Sally said you are ugly!" "The teacher said you are really dumb!") And when you graduated, how can you possibly know that the expressions on a couple of peoples' faces were all about you and your sexuality. Maybe their facial expressions had nothing whatsoever to do with you. Your sexuality might have been the furthest thing from their mind, but you have told yourself otherwise and are carrying that around through life and writing about it nearly 2 decades later.

Maybe the best thing is to let go of the slights of the past and also let go of this crusade regarding gender issues. Focus on living a joyful life. Think about it!

Posted by: Linda Murphy | Aug 26, 2014 4:04:56 PM

24. I think, "Linda Murphy" (HA!) that an intelligent reader would understand that the real issue is the baseless weight people give to perceived gender-norms.
    There's no "crusade about masculinity" - and only a trolling idiot using various screen names to try to make a new point would think so. ;-)

it's very simple: how misogyny, sexism, transphobia and anti-gay bigotry are hopelessly intertwined.

it's clear you didn't read the whole essay. but i commend you for adopting a new, female!, screen-name in order to continue to get my attention :)

the "crusade" regarding gender issues is not over, and it shouldn't be. a real woman would have understood that. as would an openly-gay man. you're neither, of course. and nobody is fooled. but nice try!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 26, 2014 4:17:36 PM

25. Linda, for someone who has never posted on here, you sure know a lot about kiwi. That being said, the only perms on this site obsessed with masculinity and "gender issues" (as you put it) is Rick and his dozens of aliases.

Posted by: Tyler | Aug 26, 2014 4:17:59 PM