19-Year-Old Wisconsin Assembly GOP Nominee Faces Backlash For Anti-Gay Tweet

WISCONSIN: Jacob Dorsey, the Republican candidate for State Assembly in the 44th District, is facing a backlash following a tweet sent last December that contained a homophobic slur

Jacob dorsey

Jacob Dorsey, the Republican candidate for Wisconsin State Assembly in the 44th District, is facing a backlash following a tweet sent last December that contained a homophobic slur, reports Channel 3000.

TweetThe tweet, which has since been deleted, read:

“10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejects #Utah’s request to stop same-sex marriages.” fags need 2 leave my favorite state alone.”

In a statement, Dorsey apologised for the tweet and said “I regret using unacceptable and hurtful language on social media last year.

I am a staunch supporter of traditional marriage, but the language I used is not in keeping with my character, family values and Christian upbringing.”

Dorsey, a former intern with Citizens for Decency who has been endorsed by Pro-Life Wisconsin and Wisconsin Right To Life, lists on Facebook a Ronald Reagan quote as his favourite: "Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."

A number of voters have since taken to Twitter to suggest that Dorsey's apology is less than sincere.

Comments

1. ToThePoint says

The use of the term is proof that the issue has nothing to do with traditional marriage and EVERYTHING to do with bigotry. If he was truly a traditionalist, derogatory would NEVER have been used. A shame such a young person has been completely defiled by religion and has developed a judgmental attitude – per his god, I am sure.

2. ToThePoint says

Today’s word is “hypocrite”……can you spell “h-y-p-o-c-r-i-t-e”? “J-a-c-o-b D-o-r-s-e-y”. Correct!
    “Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”
    Then he should not be promoting legislation that dictates that government should “run the lives” of the LGBT population.

3. David From Canada says

He’s young, 19, but his tweet/message sounds like something from a grumpy old man in his 80’s. He’s got a lot of learning and growing up to do – not ready for Public Office yet.

4. Mitch says

“…the language I used is not in keeping with my character, family values and Christian upbringing.”

I would agree that your language is not in keeping with family values – particularly for the millions of gay families hurt by the type of language you use and bigotry you display. It certainly is reflective of your character and the lack of Christianity in your so-called Christian upbringing.

I hope, upon some desperately needed self-reflection, that you’ll choose a profession where you’ll not find conflict with the separation of church and state.

5. ToThePoint says

If he is not a self-loathing closeted gay, then the sun will never rise again. To what ends will these closeted folks go to hide who they really are? I can understand to a point because when I was young, I debased known gays in order to remain in the closet myself. I guess, then really, society is to blame but this hypocrite is promoting laws to hate himself which is really quite pathetic. Catch 22 since this promotion he engages in only causes society to further judge us.

6. ian says

“…but the language I used is not in keeping with my character, family values and Christian upbringing.”

Yes it was. You revealed your true character, values and upbringing.

7. Acronym Jim says

In addition to the homophobic slur, the kid also tweeted that UTAH was his favorite state while running for office in WISCONSIN.

Not the sharpest crayon in the box.

8. AdamTh says

“… but the language I used is not in keeping with my character, family values and Christian upbringing.” ”

Okay… So what part of his tweet isn’t supposed to be in keeping with “family values” or a Christian upbringing?

9. says

Not every homophobe is closeted and self-loathing. Some are straight and pleased with themselves. Who knows in his case, and it doesn’t matter. Neither does his apology. Don’t apologize for language that was obviously intentional and reflective of true beliefs. Own it, blondie.

10. Houndentenor says

I’ll say the same thing here I always say when someone gets caught using the n-word. People don’t suddenly have words like that roll off their tongue or their fingers if it’s not in their everyday vocabulary.

11. Seanumich says

I hate what the kid said and find it funny that the GOP is putting s NINETEEN year old to run for office. I am guessing this is a slam dunk DEmocratic area and they dont want to waste resources, BUT the other thing I find offensive is people posting that he “looks gay” to them. What exactly does that mean? Because he has nice hair and is blonde it makes him appear gay? I guess only gay men can have decent smiles and have nice hair? If he were fat and ugly you wouldn’t say “looks gay to me”.

12. Seanumich says

13. MickyFlip says

The next generation of conservative values. Which shows how nothing changes. And they want to know why they’re losing ground on supporters and votes? At least he spoke his true feelings. Because now I can keep an eye on him. And reject anything he feels needs support. You know how the old adage goes… “Keep your friends close but your enemies closer.”

14. gb says

His, like all other celebrity apologies always seem to be missing two critical words in their apology:“I regret GETTING CAUGHT using unacceptable and hurtful language on social media.”

15. says

i noticed that, Mitch. he’s deleting all the comments that call out his bigoted comment, and his hypocrisy.

i asked if in his post about “how marriage is the most effective tool against poverty” that means he now supports marriage equality for LGBT couples. he deleted it. poor boy. has to be anti-gay so his ‘rents won’t suspect he’s a cum-chugger.

16. Derrick from Philly says

ERNIE,

I don’t know why it took me so long to visit your site. The photographs are beautiful–especially the one with the sun going down ( at dusk, I guess).

Thanks

17. says

he’s anti-Choice, anti-gay, against marriage equality while he also claims marriage is an effective tool against poverty, and is against green energy. in short – he’s exactly what his bigoted white trash parents are. a carbon copy.

18. woodroad34 says

The face of all “traditional marriage” folks–an immature idiot (usually they’re fat, balding or overly made-up–but constantly immature and insincere)

19. GreatLakeSailor says

Yeeesh, that look. Right off an episode of Criminal Minds.

Someday, somewhere, some parents are going to be horrified by the phrase, “Dad, Papa*, I’d like you to meet my boyfriend…”

*Mom, Dad, I’d like…
    *Momma, Mother, I’d like…

20. Bernie says

this guy looks like a gay twink….and he quotes Reagan……..ugh! “Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives”…….this young man has swallowed the kool aid and his favorite saying seems to be an oxymoron…….I thought he wanted to protect the people and not run their lives………..maybe should take to quoting George Bush or Rich Perry……………..

21. Mike says

His Facebook page says…”Jacob Dorsey, a life-long Janesville resident and Parker High School graduate currently attending Brigham Young University-Idaho is running for the 44th Assembly District as a Republican.”

No question he is Mormon…his favorite state is Utah. Attending BYU-Idaho. It used to be called Ricks College and was owned by the church. Kind of a Mormon Junior College for LDS kids who couldn’t get into BYU.

22. Shannon says

NO….F-G IS NOT THE SAME AS A RACIAL SLUR!!!!!!!!….I NOW SEE WHY PEOPLE OF COLOR….%96 OF THE PLANET…..HATE US…….THIS KID IS UGLY AS FREAKING AS FREAKING SIN!!! HE LOOKS LIKE A WEASEL…AND WATC THE DESPERARE ASS GAY RUN IN HERE SCREAMING HOW “HAWT” HE IS IN…1……….2……………3.

23. EchtKultig says

Gawd, he makes Benji Schwimmer look butch. Not all homophobes are closet cases, but this one certainly is. There’s a goofy Mormon promotional video on youtube, titled something like “what Mormon Boys Think of Girls”. More than half of them look like they don’t spend much time thinking about girls at all.

24. heather says

I know him and have since he was born. I would not be surprised if he isn’t gay himself, but due to his upbringing, would never face it. He who doth protest too much…

25. northalabama says

ever stop to think he might actually be straight, but because he fits a certain stereotype, he’s been hit on by many gay men, and this drives his unfounded hatred of gays (or himself)?

sure, being hit on by a gay man doesn’t excuse becoming a bigot, or his own self-esteem issues, but i could see it happening to someone young, living in a conservative bubble, with few life experiences – one good reason not to elect a this particular 19yo to represent anyone or anything.