Snoop Dogg Threatened with Lawsuit Over Transphobic Instagram Post

Snoop Dogg Instagram post

Snoop Dogg is not known as being one of the more homophobic rappers in the music industry; in fact, his song "Dove of Peace" that he performed with Elton John at the end of Sacha Baron Cohen's Bruno along with explicitly stating that he's cool with gay people seems to make him an outright ally.

And perhaps deep down he is, despite having previous instances of homophobia on the internet. What he is not, however, is sensitive to the discrimination and hate that the gay and especially trans community face on a daily basis. This insensitivity is highlighted by a now-removed Instagram photo of Cortez Booze, a caretaker at a senior care facility in Edgewater, Maryland with the caption, "Whose auntcle is this?"

The remark was tasteless and transphobic on its own, regardless of Booze's gender identity, but Snoop's followers, being members of the internet horde, escalated things by orders of magnitude by hurling slurs and hate directly at Booze. In response, Booze allegedly reached out to Instagram to have the post taken down, but when it remained up he consulted his lawyer to investigate a lawsuit against the notorious D-O-Double-G.

The Instagram post has since been taken down, but Snoop has made no public comment and for the moment Booze appears to still be investigating pursuing a lawsuit.

Comments

1. will says

Are we really this insensitive about every gay or trans joke that comes down the pike? Didn’t Paris and Charlie Hebdo teach us anything? We MUST be able to crack outrageous transsexual jokes or the terrorists win!

2. Randy says

I think it’s reasonable to object to bullying generated just by a the appearance of a photo of a person who likely never asked for such publicity.

Snoop ought to pick fights with people of his own celebrity level. You know, like an adult.

All queer people share the same fight, regardless of the particulars.

3. KidJ/NYU says

Look, Will is here! He’s the idiot who thought that the movie Pride was “dated.” How can a movie made just last year be dated, you may ask? Well, it is set in the 80s and Will is a moron who doesn’t know what the word “dated” means or how it is used in sentences.

As for this story, I agree with Paul R and Walter. LGB and T are not the same and are not parts of a whole. LGBs are complete and beautiful in and of themselves. Respect the identities of both.

4. KidJ/NYU says

But then again I’m just yet another alias of this site’s cowardly troll. I need lots of fake names to get attention, and pretend there’s a coterie of like-minded guys in here, alas, it’s just me, typing comments for attention because my own family turned their backs on me years ago.

5. Jack says

I’m having a hard time imagining what Snoop could actually be sued here, especially if the image was available publicly (or worse, printed in some kind of journalistic outlet like a newspaper)

6. Rowan says

I see them doing this a lot in the hip&hop and r&b world-they take pics of trans/acdc and gay men who like to put it out etc and make fun of it.

You’d think with their millions,they would be so busy?

Like when Rihanna was making fun of this gay guy with her friends.

But Jack,is it illegal? They put it in the public region….

7. Jack says

@Rowan:

There’s no lawsuit for “posting someone’s picture in public.” Such a thing generally does not exist. And if the picture was featured in a newspaper or online somewhere, it’s probably going to be pretty difficult to prevail.

Again, can’t really think of many causes of action this guy would have.

8. KidJ/NYU says

Will – Sorry. It was someone posting as Will. Sorta pissed me off b/c I had just seen it and it is really a good film.

Yul – Nothing “transphobic” about saing that LGB and T are 2 different groups. If that’s “transphobic” then nearly every gay, lesbian, bi and trans person in the world was “transphobic” prior to about 2001. “LGBT” is a recent invention foisted on us without any discussion or debate. Adding the “T” seemed little different than going from G to LG to LGB. But it was fundamentally different. L, G, and B all refer to a group of people with a common, defined trait. Ts, by contrast, consists of many different subgroups, defined by many different traits, none of which are sexual orientation. The intent is to divert LGB resources into the hands of transgenders, to co-opt LGB organizations for trans activist ends, and to derail the gay rights movement into an endless war on the “gender binary.” LGBT is inherently anti-gay and harmful to gay youth, and should be opposed.

Note to Little Kiwi: I only post under 1 name. I am fully out (as a gay man, not an “LGBTQQIAAPSGL” and not “queer”). And my parents and brother love me! How’s the hair?

9. KiDJ/NYU says

But I can’t prove it, because I’m a lying sack of s**t. I wish more people believed me, but alas, even casual readers know that I am the worthless wimp that my family always told me I was. And I’ll never be able to prove any of you wrong.

10. Derrick From Philly says

Actually, Snoop Dog is from a middle-class background. His father served our country in the US Military. He attended and graduated from a highschool in Long Beach California with Cameron Diaz among his classmates.

Snoop Dog may have taken on a “inner-city thug image” for his career in HipHop, but it was on purpose. He is not uneducated.

11. KiDJ/NYU says

I was recently informed that there was a debate about LGBT being a thing, but I didn’t attend because I’m a middle-aged closet case and my parents wouldn’t let me go out of the house to vote. I still live with them. I’m a troll, and I like to pretend that people don’t know. Alas, I say the same damned things under all my screen names. No wonder dad disowned me.

12. Derrick From Philly says

LOL@ “…and my parents wouldn’t let me go out of the house to vote. I still live with them.”

If you read this comment by itself you would say to laugh at this person’s predicament is a cruel thing to do. But you’ve GOT TO LOOK at the comment by KID/NYU that precipitated this response.

Oh, God, don’t punish me, please. I can’t help but laugh at…””my parents wouldn’t let me go out of the house to vote.” for who? Barry Goldwater?

13. Jack says

I see Kiwi is back at it, hijacking usernames to denigrate people he disagrees with, because he’s soooooooo mature like that. Sigh. When will Andy require registration of usernames so this doesn’t happen anymore?

14. KidJ/NYU says

Ooookay, well, I guess Raymond Miller/Kiwi can’t debate the merits, so he resorts to hijacking names and the like. No prob. That’s why LGBT is going down. It can’t be defended except by bullying and name calling. BTW, I’m almost 24 and look 20. Kiwi is 33 and looks 45. So I wouldn’t be tossing around looksist and ageist comments if I were you.

15. ratbastard says

16. UFFDA says

17. UFFDA says

18. Rowan says

Derrick from Philly,here’s the funny thing…miss Diaz is po white trash! Like so many of those white entertainers that simply behave a certain way-we believe the BS we were sold.

The horrid tennis lesbian let the cat out of the bag-she grew up near Diaz and in that interview with Collins was like ‘No wonder she got out! She had it really bad!’…Billy Jean her name?

So yeah. Us middle class people it doesn’t matter how much we may front which I did when I was a teenager but the real us always sneaks out…we are groomed to have hobbies-Believe in what we can intellectually achieve.

19. Richard Harney says

Snoop is getting sued over “Whose auntcle is this?” Talk about a frivolous lawsuit. This belongs in the court of public opinion, not a court of law. Snoop MIGHT just settle out of court to shut her up, but I wouldn’t. That is not defemation of character or libel. Especially since that picture already appeared on the internet and Snoop merely shared it with a funny caption. That caption may not be funny to some people but since comedy is subjective, there is no court of law that would grant Cortez anything. Snoop also never used the person’s name.