David Lynch Bows Out Of ‘Twin Peaks’ Revival Over Money Dispute With Showtime

LynchDavid Lynch has decided to pull out from directing Showtime’s upcoming relaunch of his cult classic series Twin Peaks following a dispute with the network over money. Last fall Lynch signed on to helm the series’s return and hinted that the show’s lead Kyle MacLachlan would reprise his role as special agent Dale Cooper. Last month Lynch admitted that while the scripts for all nine episodes of the new series were completed, he had yet to sign a contract officially linking him to the project.

"I haven't returned yet and we're still working on the contract," he explained to an audience at his recently opened exhibition at the Australian Gallery of Modern Art. "But I love the world of Twin Peaks and I love those characters. And I think it will be very special to go back into that world.”

Lynch took to Facebook over the weekend to confirm the rumors that his talks with Showtime had finally fallen apart and he’d decided to walk away from the project

“After 1 year and 4 months of negotiations, I left because not enough money was offered to do the script the way I felt it needed to be done,” wrote Lynch, careful to point out that the reboot would likely still happen without him. “This weekend I started to call actors to let them know I would not be directing. Twin Peaks may still be very much alive at Showtime. I love the world of Twin Peaks and wish things could have worked out differently.”

Comments

1. will says

David Lynch would be my sole reason for watching another “Twin Peaks” pilot. He directed the original, and he is truly a master director — as great as Bertolucci or Scorsese or Luis Bunuel or Bergman or any other master in film history. Why bother to watch if he’s not directing and overseeing?

2. TimJo says

This guy’s net worth is over $60M. Just how much money does he need? What’s fair? Seems like he’s in more for the money than the art. Too bad

3. Derrick from Philly says

@ “….as great as Bertolucci or Scorsese or Luis Bunuel or Bergman or any other master…”

Interesting perspective, WILL.

For me, it’s Scorsese. He (along with his writers and editors, camera guys) is the best at telling a story on film. Most Americans like to be told a story. They don’t like sitting in the theater after the movie is over wondering, “what the fvck did I just see”.

But I did like “Blue Velvet”…I think. I’ve watched it about 10 times. “Wild At Heart”–I haven’t a clue.

4. edude says

It’s not 100% clear from the way this is written, but I think the funding for THE PRODUCTION ITSELF was the issue, rather than his personal pay.

Lynch said: “After 1 year and 4 months of negotiations, I left because not enough money was offered to do *the script* the way I felt it needed to be done.”

In that case, it’s not about the personal compensation for Lynch as the proposed director, but the impact inadequate funding (in his view) would have on the artistic value of the production, and the quality of the finished product.

Sounds like Lynch was looking to go deluxe, and Showtime has an economy version in mind.

5. Hello says

oh and BALD bene gesserit

Women who are supposed to be renowned for their powers of seduction = all bald. On top of their ability to kill with the slightest movement

No time in the history of human civilization have bald women ever been considered seductresses nor geriatric bald women considered seductresses who could kill a whole room of men in unarmed combat

6. John says

It says he finished the scripts, and old fans of the series will remember, he didn’t direct all the episodes himself anyway. Very few, in fact.

And co-creator Mark Frost is still involved, at least at this point, so this is not the end of the world.

Yes, it would be great to have David back, but he wasn’t all that involved with it back in the day, either. He was busy making Wild at Heart.