Several pedestrians were injured after a car slammed into them outside London’s parliament on Tuesday in a suspected terrorist attack. The driver has been arrested.
The Guardian reports: ‘The man, in his late 20s, was arrested at the scene and taken to a police station in south London where he remains in police custody. He was the only person in the vehicle, which remains at the scene and is being searched. No weapons have been recovered at this stage, according to police. One source said of the CCTV recovered by Scotland Yard’s counter-terrorism command: “It is quite clear it was deliberate, he goes over a mini traffic island, and hits people and then crashes.”’
The BBC adds: ‘London Ambulance Service said it had taken two patients to hospital with non life-threatening injuries after cyclists and pedestrians were hit. No one else was in the car and no weapons have been found so far. “At this stage, we are treating this as a terrorist incident and the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command is now leading the investigation,” said Scotland Yard. The man is in custody at a south London police station and the vehicle is being searched. The government’s Cobra emergency committee is meeting later.’