Elections Hub




Mitt Romney Will Not Run For President in 2016

Following a phone call with supporters Friday, perennial candidate Mitt Romney announced he would not pursue a third bid for the White House in 2016.

RomneyPolitical Wire reports:

“After putting considerable thought into making another run for president, I’ve decided it is best to give other leaders in the Party the opportunity to become our next nominee.”

“I believe that one of our next generation of Republican leaders, one who may not be as well known as I am today, one who has not yet taken their message across the country, one who is just getting started, may well emerge as being better able to defeat the Democrat nominee. In fact, I expect and hope that to be the case.”

The Washington Post adds:

The 2012 Republican presidential nominee had been publicly weighing another run at the White House for three weeks now after telling a group of former campaign donors in New York on Jan. 9 that he still wanted to be president.

Romney’s 2016 dalliance invited an onslaught of criticism from some Republican leaders and conservative commentators, but in recent conversations with intimates Romney has sounded eager still to step back into the political ring.

The New York Times notes that by not pursuing a third bid, Romney "frees up scores of donors and operatives who had been awaiting his decision, and creates space for other potential center-right candidates such as Jeb Bush.”


Bill Maher Unveils the 2016 Billionaire Buyers Guide to GOP 'Corporate Ass Lickers' - VIDEO

Maher

With a number of Republican Party heads already jumping into the 2016 ring in order to maximize the amount of campaign funds they rack up, it can be hard for a billionaire to figure out which candidate they want to buy. 

Real Time host Bill Maher has the solution, AFTER THE JUMP...

For more on these nuts, be sure and catch the Iowa Freedom Summit sponsored by Citizens United and Congressman Steve King that is livestreaming now.

Continue reading "Bill Maher Unveils the 2016 Billionaire Buyers Guide to GOP 'Corporate Ass Lickers' - VIDEO" »


Sarah Palin Says 'Of Course' She's Interested in 2016: VIDEO

Palin

Speaking with ABC News' Neal Karlinsky while dishing out wild boar chili to homeless in Las Vegas Thursday, Sarah Palin served up a side of word salad for her thoughts on the 2016 presidential election:

We can't wait for new energy. Good competition. And that competition in the GOP primary, 'cause this had better be a competition, and not a coronation, will surface that candidate who can take on, I predict, Hillary. Be ready for Hillary and show the nation what it's going to take to get the country on the right track. We can't afford status quo. Status quo, lately, has been lacking. We're getting screwed. And status quo's got to go.

Palin, who resigned as Governor of Alaska in 2009 instead of finishing out her first term, added that "of course" she's interested in the 2016 race because of her "servant's heart". ABC News noted that when Palin was asked again if she was interested in actually running in 2016, she said:

“We definitely had enough of seeing that -- America has had enough of seeing that -- sign on the Oval Office door saying, 'No Girls Allowed.' I know that.”

Watch Palin serving word salad and boar chili, AFTER THE JUMP...

Continue reading "Sarah Palin Says 'Of Course' She's Interested in 2016: VIDEO" »


Kirby Delauter Backtracks After Threatening To Sue Newspaper For Printing His Name

Screenshot 2015-01-08 06.01.02

The Fredrick News-Post has a bone to pick with local councilmember (and part-time bully) Kirby Delauter. Over the weekend Delauter took to Facebook to lash out against News-Post reporter Bethany Rodgers for the “unauthorized use” of his name in what described as a “hit piece.”

“Shame on Bethany Rodgers, for an unauthorized use of my name and my reference in her article today,” he wrote in the message in which he actively tagged the journalist. “I had let her know after her hit piece during the election where she embellished, twisted and downright lied about what we discussed for that article, that she was never to never contact me again since she has absolutely no morals or journalistic ability.”

Screenshot 2015-01-08 06.04.13

The article in question, that Delauter admits Rodgers attempted to speak with him about, focuses on the councilmember’s alleged history of threatening the mayor of Myersville over a soured relationship between his construction company and the city itself. According to Rodgers, Delauter’s prickly disposition ultimately lost him the political support of municipal officials in Myersville and Thurmont, a neighboring city. Instead, the conservative officials backed Delauter’s Democratic opponent currently vying for his seat on the council.

In response to Delauter’s threats of a lawsuit, the News-Post ran a subsequent article entitled “Kirby Delauter, Kirby Delauter, Kirby Delauter.”  While Delauter may have been displeased with the News-Post’s characterization of him, as a public figure the paper was well within its rights to run any piece about him that wasn’t flat-out libel.

“Knowing Councilman Kirby Delauter as we do, we weren't surprised that he threatened The Frederick News-Post with a lawsuit because we had, he says — and we're not making this up — been putting Kirby Delauter's name in the paper without Kirby Delauter’s authorization,” the paper’s editorial board mused. “In fact, we spent quite some time laughing about it. Kirby Delauter, an elected official; Kirby Delauter, a public figure? Surely, Kirby Delauter can't be serious? Kirby Delauter’s making a joke, right?”

Regrettably, we’ll never know whether Delauter’s promise of litigation was purely for laughs. Late Wednesday evening his office eschewed Facebook posts and released a proper press release apologizing for his attempt at comedic political theater.

"The first amendment is alive and well in Frederick County," the statement reads. "As a public figure working to maintain and improve the county, it can be very frustrating to feel misrepresented or misinterpreted by a local media outlet.”

"Of course, as I am an elected official, the Frederick News-Post has the right to use my name in any article related to the running of the county -- that comes with the job. So yes, my statement to the Frederick News-Post regarding the use of my name was wrong and inappropriate. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong."

Read Kirby Delauter’s apologetic press release in full AFTER THE JUMP...

Continue reading "Kirby Delauter Backtracks After Threatening To Sue Newspaper For Printing His Name" »


Madhu Kinnar Elected India's First Transgender Mayor

Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 3.54.00 PMTransgender Independent-Mayoral Candidate Madhu Kinnar has won the mayoral election of Chhattisgarh's Raigarh Municipal Corporation by 4,537 votes against Bharatiya Janata Party member Mahaveer Guruji reports NDTV. Kinnar, a 35-year-old trans woman belonging to the Dalit community, is the first transgender person to elected as mayor of an Indian city.

Kinnar issued a statement regarding her historic win:

"People have shown faith in me. I consider this win as love and blessings of people for me. I'll put in my best efforts to accomplish their dreams."

"I only spent Rs. 60,000-70,000 from my earnings during my campaign. It was the public support that encouraged me to enter the poll fray for the first time and because of their support only, I emerged as the winner."

Kinnar, whose birth name is Naresh Chauhan, studied up to eighth standard and spent most of her life in different works including collecting money from dancing and singing on trains in her youth.

The Advocate adds:

However, not everyone is celebrating Kinnar’s history-making win. "There was no Modi wave in Raigarh this time. People of Raigarh were fed up with the corruption of BJP, hence they voted for Madhu. It is not Madhu Kinnar's victory, but it's a loss of BJP," Raigarh district Congress (urban) president Narendra Negi said.

Nevertheless, Kinnar’s opposition will not contest the outcome. "We accept the decision of people and we will review it," said BJP district president Rajesh Sharma.

Last April, the Indian Supreme Court issued a landmark ruling recognizing transgender people as a third gender. 


Mike Huckabee Quits Fox News Because God Might Tell Him to Run for President in 2016: VIDEO

Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 11.55.36 AM

After six and a half years together, Mike Huckabee and Fox News are parting ways - a devastating blow to anyone who enjoyed getting their misinformed Republican Party propaganda in a neat little 700 Club-esque wrapper.  

Said the Pat Robertson-lite on Huckabee last night:

"I've never had so much fun in my life. I've met people I never dreamed I'd meet and I've played music with legends in the music business. But I also realize that God hasn't put me on Earth just to have a good time or to make a good living, but rather God has put me on Earth to try to make a good life. There's been a great deal of speculation as to whether I would run for president. And if i were willing to absolutely rule that out, I could keep doing this show. But I can't make such a declaration."

Huckabee added that he wouldn't make a final decision on 2016 until late next spring.

Watch the farewell address, AFTER THE JUMP...

Continue reading "Mike Huckabee Quits Fox News Because God Might Tell Him to Run for President in 2016: VIDEO" »


Trending



Towleroad - Blogged