Just in time for this weekend’s New York City Pride, Grindr has conducted a survey asking its users about their coming out stories. According to the survey some 82% of Grindr users identify as having come out while the remaining 18% remain in the closet. 6% of users responded that they had no intentions of ever coming out. Grindr’s findings become more complicated when broken down by age group with 50% of users reporting coming while still in their teens.
"It’s a great time to be gay -- not just because it’s pride season, but because the tide is shifting for our community,” said Grindr CEO Joel Simkhai in an email statement. “Our voices are being heard as laws are changing, people are getting married and we have more allies than ever before."
Grindr also found that setting often factored into whether or not individuals felt comfortable being public about their personal lives. While 81% of users claimed to be out to friends and family only 68% were out to coworkers, likely due to workplace discrimination concerns. The majority of respondents said that they came out of their own volition while 12% were outed.